Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars sample return mission

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA, ESA officials seek formal approvals for Mars sample return mission

After crystallizing a partnership to retrieve samples from the surface of Mars and return them to Earth, NASA and European Space Agency officials are seeking government funding commitments before the end of this year to carry out a multibillion-dollar robotic mission that could depart Earth with a pair of rocket launches as soon as 2026.

The Mars sample return mission, if approved, would pick up rock and soil samples collected by NASA’s Mars 2020 rover set for launch next year. The specimens would come back to Earth for detailed analysis in terrestrial laboratories, yielding results that scientists say will paint a far clearer picture of the Martian environment — today and in ancient times — than possible with one-way robotic missions.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Spaceflight Now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sounds good. Its an important step towards understanding Mars and also a step towards a manned mission.

This is all taking to long. As a kid back in the days I absolutely thought we would have bases on the Moon and Mars by now!

Hence we need a manned mission to mars. What people could do there in a few weeks, is likely more then probes could do in a century at this rate. :/

Isn't that a paradox of authority? No man owns mars the same way  no nation owns Antarctica. Every time a scientists takes samples from Antarctica they don't ask for permission from every other nation, or any single individual nation.

To ask someone permission is to imply that that individual or group holds authority and ownership over it.

Honestly in my opinion no man owns the earth. The water, the airs, the dirt.

Yet some people conquered land through war and slaughter. and they write papers. and generations later other people are  born obligated to pay to build a house on that dirt to live in, and to pay taxes for what they grow to eat and sell, and to pay to drink the water.

All because of a system that was established by men through war slaughter and death. 

It seems the people of the past drew the long straw by conquering then establishing their laws of ownership over what they don't hold the rights to. Over what everyone holds the rights to.

Imagine if alien Columbus came to earth with a massive fleet.
He slaughters all humans. Then proceeds to write a paper declaring Independence from the galaxy they came from.

Generations later every other aliens is obligated to pay the alien government to grow food on the land they were born on, and to pay to live on the dirt they were born on. Just because someone claimed ownership over something no man can claim to own.

You don't own mars, and you don't own earth. You want to take a sample go and take it, but don't go asking each other for permission like kids playing house.

Edited by It's Just An Opinion

24 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

To ask someone permission is to imply that that individual or group holds authority and ownership over it.

I am not sure what the point of your post is, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

No one is asking for permission to take rocks from Mars. No one is implying authority over Mars, No one is claiming ownership of Mars. None of the things you are raging against are happening.

NASA and ESA asking for authorisation to proceed with the mission is a request to the relevant governments for funding, the very first line of the quoted text makes that clear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I am not sure what the point of your post is, it makes absolutely no sense at all.

No one is asking for permission to take rocks from Mars. No one is implying authority over Mars, No one is claiming ownership of Mars. None of the things you are raging against are happening.

NASA and ESA asking for authorisation to proceed with the mission is a request to the relevant governments for funding, the very first line of the quoted text makes that clear.

Sorry I misread "government funding" here in your quoted post as government approval, but to be fair what i said makes complete sense; The text under the image thumbnail on the home page said "NASA and ESA are hoping to secure formal approval to return samples of Mars soil to the Earth for study."

9 hours ago, Hazzard said:

This is all taking to long. As a kid back in the days I absolutely thought we would have bases on the Moon and Mars by now!

Man can barely survive in a underwater cave past 30 minutes b.c he hasn't solved the infinite o2 thing yet.

2 hours ago, brian100 said:

Man can barely survive in a underwater cave past 30 minutes b.c he hasn't solved the infinite o2 thing yet.

I think i heard somewhere that nuclear powered subs can purify air indefinitely, and that the only reason they surface is to resupply food and water. 

32 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

I think i heard somewhere that nuclear powered subs can purify air indefinitely, and that the only reason they surface is to resupply food and water. 

I believe that is true. In point of fact, they can produce their own water by electrolising sea water. It's just food they need. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

I believe that is true. In point of fact, they can produce their own water by electrolising sea water. It's just food they need. 

wow, I didn't know that about the water. That's Amazing, they can almost practically just live there if they decided to grow food with artificial lighting. 

1 hour ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

Even so, they are still confined to this vessel. Venturing out is the scuba diver thing.

22 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

wow, I didn't know that about the water. That's Amazing, they can almost practically just live there if they decided to grow food with artificial lighting. 

Indeed, they ARE amazing machines, @It's Just An Opinion. I doubt the current military vessels could grow food though.. even though they are BIG, there just isn't space for it. Bear in mind that the typical US nuclear submarine can have about 140 people on board. As it stands, with every inch of space crammed with food, they "only" have an endurance of 90 days. 

That compares to around 30 days for the biggest diesel-electric submarine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed, they ARE amazing machines, @It's Just An Opinion. I doubt the current military vessels could grow food though.. even though they are BIG, there just isn't space for it. Bear in mind that the typical US nuclear submarine can have about 140 people on board. As it stands, with every inch of space crammed with food, they "only" have an endurance of 90 days. 

That compares to around 30 days for the biggest diesel-electric submarine. 

If space is the only thing stopping them from having crops, I wonder if there are any underwater self sustainable military facilities. It's possible but would be very expensive. It might seem redundant since there are way better ways to resupply, but for those people considering to build a colony on the moon or mars it's probably the best first step to take. 

Edited by It's Just An Opinion

38 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

If space is the only thing stopping them from having crops, I wonder if there are any underwater self sustainable military facilities. It's possible but would be very expensive. It might seem redundant since there are way better ways to resupply, but for those people considering to build a colony on the moon or mars it's probably the best first step to take. 

An intriguing thought ! 

We have the international space station.. and before that, SkyLab. But do we have an equivelant facility underwater I wonder ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Haha 1

I wonder indeed XD 

░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░▄▄██████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░▀███████████████░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░
░░░███████████████▄███▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░
░░░░███████████████▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░▄████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄░▀░░░░░░░░░░░░
▄███████▀█▄▀█▄░░█░▀▀▀░█░░▄▄░░░░░░░
▀▀░░░██▄█▄░░▀█░░▄███████▄█▀░░░▄░░░
░░░░░█░█▀▄▄▀▄▀░█▀▀▀█▀▄▄▀░░░░░░▄░▄█
░░░░░█░█░░▀▀▄▄█▀░█▀▀░░█░░░░░░░▀██░
░░░░░▀█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░▄██░░
░░░░░░▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄█░░░░░░▄▀░░█░░
░░░░░░░░░▀███▀▀████▄██▄▄░░▄▀░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░█▄▀██▀██▀▄█▄░▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░██░▀█▄█░█▀░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░█░█▄░░▀█▄▄▄░░█░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░█▀██▀▀▀▀░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀░░░░░░░░░

It's the US, we probably do. 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

An intriguing thought ! 

We have the international space station.. and before that, SkyLab. But do we have an equivelant facility underwater I wonder ? 

I'm sorry, tasteless joke. I was just amused for a second of picturing you having an extreme British accent. 

2 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

I'm sorry, tasteless joke. I was just amused for a second of picturing you having an extreme British accent. 

One was entirely flabbergasted ! 

• Haha 1