Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shape-shifting robot built from 'smarticles'

Eldorado

"The 3D-printed smarticles -- short for smart active particles -- can do just one thing: flap their two arms. But when five of these smarticles are confined in a circle, they begin to nudge one another, forming a robophysical system known as a "supersmarticle" that can move by itself. Adding a light or sound sensor allows the supersmarticle to move in response to the stimulus -- and even be controlled well enough to navigate a maze.

"Though rudimentary now, the notion of making robots from smaller robots -- and taking advantage of the group capabilities that arise by combining individuals -- could provide mechanically based control over very small robots. Ultimately, the emergent behavior of the group could provide a new locomotion and control approach for small robots that could potentially change shapes."

At Science Daily: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190918140759.htm

"Mini Transformers: Scientists Have Created a Robot Made of Robots"

At Interesting Engineering dot com: https://interestingengineering.com/mini-transformers-scientists-have-created-a-robot-made-of-robots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The sequel : Rise of the Super Dumbicles

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Adding a light or sound sensor allows the supersmarticle to move in response to the stimulus -- and even be controlled well enough to navigate a maze

14 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Though rudimentary now, the notion of making robots from smaller robots -- and taking advantage of the group capabilities that arise by combining individuals -- could provide mechanically based control over very small robots. Ultimately, the emergent behavior of the group could provide a new locomotion and control approach for small robots that could potentially change shapes."

I always tend to view emerging technologies in the light of how they can be used medically.  I can imagine a time when SuperNanoSmarticles could be injected into a cardio patient's blood stream and guided directly to the clogged artery in question, where they would basically 'eat' the plaque in the artery and then be guided to an 'exit wound'... i.e. the needle where they would be evacuated from the blood stream.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joc said:

I always tend to view emerging technologies in the light of how they can be used medically.  I can imagine a time when SuperNanoSmarticles could be injected into a cardio patient's blood stream and guided directly to the clogged artery in question, where they would basically 'eat' the plaque in the artery and then be guided to an 'exit wound'... i.e. the needle where they would be evacuated from the blood stream.

I tend to think "How can this be weaponized?".

• Haha 1