Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oddest thing I've ever seen

UM-Bot

By: Arclight1967 | Location: Kentucky

Driving late one night after a high school event, I was on my way to take my date home. I took a new four lane that wasn't even fully completed yet but was open to the public who's houses it was connected to.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112290/oddest-thing-ive-ever-seen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a little confused, can someone provide more information?

• Like 1

Like the previous poster, I note that it seems more was left out than put in...

so, it was 2am - that's quite a late high school event... and then there's the facts that:

• they don't tell us where and when this was
  • they were allegedly dangerously speeding on an unfinished road (that seems more important to the author than the flyin potato sack..) 
  • they didn't wake the date
  • they didn't have a dashcam (golly gosh darn)
  • they didn't decide to use them new-fangled, oh what are they called - oh yeah 'brakes' - to stop, back up and investigate (me, I'da bin brakin the instant I saw anything odd, if I was stupid enough to be going at 70+ (mph I presume))

But hey, isn't it cool that they have really bright headlights, and traveled at 70 -75!!!!1!1!11!!!   OMG. awesome. sick-as. kick-ass. etc.

(BTW- don't you guys have radar speed traps in roadwork areas?  What a backwards country.. :D )

Anyways, yes.  I've seen similar hallucinations when over-tired.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of details. This happened in a small town of less than 2000 in Eastern Kentucky around 4 years ago. The high school even ended at midnight they done this to hopefully keep kids from going out and getting into trouble after any school event. Reason for being out so late my group of friends decided to all go into the nearest town with a Mcdonald’s to get some food and go to an overlook and hangout. The road itself was open to the people who lived that way but it was unfinished because it was not tied in (it connected to Virginia and the contracting  company was coming from the other direction to connect the road, as no one lived on that side. So that stretch of road was technically finished first due to help the daily commute of everyone in the isolated areas. If you’ve never seen or been to Eastern Kentucky it’s very rugged and is nothing but mountains) I did wake the date after it all happened because i was stunned in terror. In high school i seen no need to ever use a dash cam, I recently got my first one due to me driving 7+ hours to work on the pipeline. Braking was the last thought in my mind i had no intention of stopping. 70+ MPH was nothing on the road either it was locally used to lack of cops and traffic to street race and party on the so called “Road job”. Saying it was a potato sac may have threw you off as well it was a extremely large burlap sac. And as to the hallucinations as i stated previously i drive almost every weekend i get off 7+ hours home sometimes not arriving until 3 A.M and never have i “hallucinated” Sorry for the confusion with my lack of details.

• Like 1

A potato sack eh?  Ive heard them all and this is a new low.  Move along people.  Nothing to see here. 

• Like 1

Interesting. If you are certain it wasn't a reflection of something from inside your car projecting onto the window - that's the only optical illusion I've seen whilst driving along a dark road - then that's a pretty weird encounter with the unknown you had there. I've read about similar things reported by people or passengers in cars before - orbs of light floating parallel to the car/truck, strange angel looking figures, Mothman, unusual black shape in broad daylight, UFO's etc., and now a large burlap sack object. Anything's possible!

Thanks for sharing. I have no idea what these things are or what they represent but they certainly make me wonder...

could have been a deflated balloon? 

perhaps one of those metro balloons they used to send in later falling down after cooling off in the upper atmosphere.

10 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

could have been a deflated balloon? 

perhaps one of those metro balloons they used to send in later falling down after cooling off in the upper atmosphere.

That's actually a pretty good guess, qxc - well done.

But .. most weather balloons are made of a type of latex that really does sorta explode, usually into lots of small fragments - they don't often stay in anywhere near one big piece.  There's footage out there of them exploding:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/04/14/watch-a-weather-balloon-explode-100000-feet-high-in-the-atmosphere/

I have heard stories from several old truckers, including my Dad who drove long haul for a few years after retiring, about driving at night and seeing black dogs or dark objects pacing the truck as they drive along. They tell me it is a sign they are over tired and it is time to pull off and get some sleep. There were some jokes about "the dogs are running so I am gonna pull off at exit XXX"

That it vanished when you got an adrenalin rush makes me feel that is what you saw, a sort of dream event or hallucination caused by impending sleepiness.

If not that then, IDK.

Thanks for the story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2019 at 4:23 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

I have heard stories from several old truckers, including my Dad who drove long haul for a few years after retiring, about driving at night and seeing black dogs or dark objects pacing the truck as they drive along. They tell me it is a sign they are over tired and it is time to pull off and get some sleep. There were some jokes about "the dogs are running so I am gonna pull off at exit XXX"

That it vanished when you got an adrenalin rush makes me feel that is what you saw, a sort of dream event or hallucination caused by impending sleepiness.

If not that then, IDK.

Thanks for the story.

I got a CDL back when I was 21, and back then you could run two or three logs, so you basically never had to stop if you knew how to manipulate the paperwork. So I paired up with a guy I went to cdl school with and we ran hard. Almost never had to stop. 

One night I’m sleeping in the back, had only been sleeping a couple hours, when my buddy wakes me up and tells me to move over. I’m like bro, we gotta get back to Jersey by morning why are you going to sleep? He tells me he saw a women in a white flowing dress standing in the middle of the road. Said he was just able to stop the truck before he hit her and she was just looking at him after he stopped. Just standing there looking at him, all creepy like.

So he goes to get out of the truck to see what the deal was and she was gone. Like vanished. Lol so I’m all like yep, I move over, and tell him to go to sleep. 

I was sleep deprived for like 3 years during that time, and never saw anything. But I know a few guys who had. 

Then I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to change jobs. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My question is why is the woman always wearing a white flowing dress? Hasn't it ever been red or green or black? And why not a mini-skirt?

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be that it is a shroud and misidentified as a dress?

Given the hour, you may have been dreaming. Accidents have occurred when the driver momentarily dozed and dreamt they were driving. There is also the possibility of something called a pre-lucid dream where one questions whether one is awake or dreaming -- lucid dreaming is where one somewhat controls the dream.