Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elections Canada 2019: Trudeau Controversy

Dark_Grey

1 month to go until Canada's Federal Election takes place (October 21, 2019)

Amidst many other scandals, photos have surface of Canada's current Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau illegitimate son of Fidel Castro, yet again dressed in culturally insensitive garb. 

ABC.au Link
WashPo Link

TORONTO — A third incident of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appearing in racist makeup emerged Thursday morning, hours after he apologized for wearing brownface at an Arabian Nights-themed party in 2001 and blackface at a high school performance.
[...]
“I attended an end-of-year gala where the theme was Arabian nights. I dressed up in an Aladdin costume and put makeup on,” Trudeau told reporters on his campaign plane. “I shouldn’t have done that. I should have known better, but I didn’t, and I’m really sorry.”

Exhibit A:

Spoiler

trudeau-blackface.jpg

I have a sneaking suspicion the Conservatives have been holding on to this gem until we got closer to the elections. Timing is everything.

Somewhere around the third incident of black/brown face (there have been 5 in total,) plus all the times he played dress up in other countries, you have to wonder if Trudeau is mentally stunted or if he's a closeted bigot. A "bigotry of low expectations" type of racist.

This story shouldn't be as big as it is but the public reaction to racism has already been decided on by the PC crowd. The same crowd that suddenly makes up excuses for blackface instead of condemning it. This post is as much about exposing Trudeau for being a rich, entitled ass as it calling out yet more hypocrisy among lazy Liberal headline readers. They don't actually care about race relations so much as they just like to talk down to others online. The same people that are still referencing Trump's "grab em" line are now in the WashPo comment section excusing Mr. Trudeau as this "happened in the past" and people "should be excused for what they did 20 years ago". Unreal.

When I came in to work today, there were two different newspapers at front reception and both had Trudeau's blackface photo on the front page. I smiled to myself as it was in that moment I knew his goose was not only cooked, it's been burnt to an inedible crisp. Looking forward to the Conservative party bringing Canada back to center culturally and then screwing us over with bad pipeline deals and pension fund scandals. :tu: 

*Don't mistake this as an attack on Liberals. This is for the anonymous, holier-than-thou armchair politicians who could care less about being morally consistent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I honestly see no issues with blackface for Halloween when you're a character.

Just some SJW nonesense.

But his base should care seeing how him and them are liberal. See if they turn a blind eye or banned him with as much zeal as they would a conservative blackface. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

The same people that are still referencing Trump's "grab em" line are now in the WashPo comment section excusing Mr. Trudeau as this "happened in the past" and people "should be excused for what they did 20 years ago". Unreal.

While i think your point gets a little lost by mingling the two different issues in the above overall its hard to argue with the hypocrisy.

Ive stayed away from the past blackface thing myself because I do think people deserve to grow and learn from their mistakes. I also know im not qualified to tell who has sincerely changed and who is saying so for the cameras.

• Like 2

@Dark_Grey do you have Netflix?  There is a show called Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.  One of his shows was on Trudeau and it was very interesting.  He has a lot of competition in the election.

Edited by Desertrat56

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I honestly see no issues with blackface for Halloween when you're a character.

I can kind of agree but I also would see no issues with a black person who came across someone in blackface in the street without knowing the context kicking the hell out of that person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I can kind of agree but I also would see no issues with a black person who came across someone in blackface in the street without knowing the context kicking the hell out of that person.

You will probably disagree, but I always feel like blackface is one of those thing where wealthy white liberal feel outraged on the behalf of black people who don't actually care themselves.

One time, a couple years ago, my friend dressed up as Kayne West (black face and all). He is a typical democratic college students like most of his friends and this was on a college campus.

No one seemed to of cared. 

If someone is dressing up as a black person just to be a black person then obviously that's wrong. But if it's a specific character I see no issues with it. It seems like more a celebration of the character then anything else.

Edit: I will also add that I've never had the impulse to paint my face black for a character so the impulse seems weird to me.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

You will probably disagree, but I always feel like blackface is one of those thing where wealthy white liberal feel outraged on the behalf of black people who don't actually care themselves.

One time, a couple years ago, my friend dressed up as Kayne West (black face and all). He is a typical democratic college students like most of his friends and this was on a college campus.

If someone is dressing up as a black person just to be a black person then obviously that's wrong. But if it's a specific character I see no issues with it. It seems like more a celebration of the character then anything else.

You know I really do agree in general. While no one would believe it by reading my posts I really dont care about race in and of itself personally but coming down with an "invisible disability" and experiencing real discrimination based on something completely out of my control has made me sensitive to the plight of others. So for my part even if 99% of the folks offended are white rich liberals and just 1% of those offended are black Americans its probably worth not doing just for that 1% (within reason, talking about things like costumes) but yeah I cant get all outraged over it whether recent or past.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Edit: I will also add that I've never had the impulse to paint my face black for a character so the impulse seems weird to me.

I think there is something to what you say about "wealthy white liberal feel outraged on the behalf of black people who don't actually care themselves."  It is a reason to be rabidly judgemental over something someone else has done that has no real effect on your life or the people around you.  It is a distraction.  I don't know what circumstances Trudeau dressed up and what his attitude is but if that is front page news I would wonder what is going on that someone doesn't want people to talk about.  And you have to keep those "bored, wealthy people" occupied with something or they might actually think about something real.  It puts me in mind of the old women in fur coats with hateful signs showing up every Tuesday to the local (small town) planned parenthood facility where no doctor worked so of course no abortions happened in that facility.  Those women wore fur coats and drove cadillacs but that was their Tuesday morning activity.   There are a lot of people who will make a big deal out of someone else's issue, because they don't want to look at their own.  I am not saying it is ok to be bigotted, but there are lines that have been erased on what is actual bigotry and what is harmless fun.  Someone in California can't tell that by a facebook picture of someone in Winipeg.

• Like 1

The 20th century was filled with actors that are still loved and adored who wore black make-up.  No harm was intended.  That's the main thing.

Would any of this be allowed today?

Back in 1929 they had black performers had to wear make-up to make them look more black.

@Aaron2016  I suppose, but those parts could have been played by actual black people.  I know, it was the beloved star/dancer's show.  It is akin to Shakespeare using men for his female parts when he put the plays on originally.  We got over it and now women play those parts.  I wonder what the people who had no say in it actually thought.  That's who we need to hear from, not arm chair "advocates" who don't have a clue.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The same people that are still referencing Trump's "grab em" line are now in the WashPo comment section excusing Mr. Trudeau as this "happened in the past" and people "should be excused for what they did 20 years ago". Unreal.

The difference being that there is evidence one of them has changed their attitude and apologised. The other is just the same and thinks he's acknowledgong a mistake is a weakness. 

*Don't mistake this as an attack on Liberals. This is for the anonymous, holier-than-thou armchair politicians who could care less about being morally consistent.

Nobody is asking for consistency over 20 years. I think everyone would be pleased with improvement. 

• Like 4

‪I remember when the media praised Justin Trudeau for being a “polished politician.”‬

‪Turns out it was shoe polish.‬

‪-SM

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

@Dark_Grey do you have Netflix?  There is a show called Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj.  One of his shows was on Trudeau and it was very interesting.  He has a lot of competition in the election.

Asking if you have Netflix in 2019 is like asking if someone has electricity lol I know the show you are talking about. I might just check that out

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, acidhead said:

‪I remember when the media praised Justin Trudeau for being a “polished politician.”‬

‪Turns out it was shoe polish.‬

Pure media bias. And bribery. I don't expect any fair and balanced journalism for our election or America's.  

So the general consensus here is the black/brownface is not overly offensive. I agree. Any race should be able to dress up as any other race in the right context. "Context" being key. It's the hypocrisy I can't stand. Trudeau may not be a racist in the classical sense, but all he's done is talk down to us like he's the moral authority. Just another rich entitled kid that grew up in a bubble and feels he can now lecture us on how the world works. 

Also, playing dumb doesn't work here. This didn't happen during the race riots, this happened in 2001. He was 29 years old and a teacher. Couple that with the several other times he put on the makeup and I think he must be aware of the lines he was crossing. I'm positive this is keeping him up at night in a cold sweat. We haven't heard the last of this yet

5 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

So the general consensus here is the black/brownface is not overly offensive. I agree. Any race should be able to dress up as any other race in the right context. "Context" being key. It's the hypocrisy I can't stand. Trudeau may not be a racist in the classical sense, but all he's done is talk down to us like he's the moral authority. Just another rich entitled kid that grew up in a bubble and feels he can now lecture us on how the world works. 

Also, playing dumb doesn't work here. This didn't happen during the race riots, this happened in 2001. He was 29 years old and a teacher. Couple that with the several other times he put on the makeup and I think he must be aware of the lines he was crossing. I'm positive this is keeping him up at night in a cold sweat. We haven't heard the last of this yet

Well, he admits his mistakes, at least. Was not good what he did. With 29 years he should have known better.

As for myself, at Helloween I'll go as an ugly person. Noone will dare to say they are offended. 

• Haha 3

"Black face".  What is this called now, "Cultural appropriation"?

Well, what do you call it when a man dresses as a woman? What do you call it when 5 actors on SNL imitating Trump wear orange wigs?

Me thinks liberals are confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How all of the liberals get away with this is beyond my comprehension. SNL has years of cultural appropriation and black face, not to mention politicians. If a conservative does it, no matter how sincerely they apologize, it's practically "off with their head!".

Justine did it not once but at least three times, It wasn't one stupid indiscretion. Nobody screamed bloody murder when the movie White Chicks came out.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, odas said:

Well, he admits his mistakes, at least. Was not good what he did. With 29 years he should have known better.

As for myself, at Helloween I'll go as an ugly person. Noone will dare to say they are offended. 

I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED AT YOU CRASSLY APPROPRISIONING MY LIFE.

Ugliness is forever, not just the Hollidays.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Michelle said:

How all of the liberals get away with this is beyond my comprehension. SNL has years of cultural appropriation and black face, not to mention politicians. If a conservative does it, no matter how sincerely they apologize, it's practically "off with their head!".

Justine did it not once but at least three times, It wasn't one stupid indiscretion. Nobody screamed bloody murder when the movie White Chicks came out.

They were too busy throwing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I guess he said in a recent apology interview that there are probably more instances and/or pictures because he doesn't remember how many times he's done it. Sounds like his "go to" costume.

• Like 2