Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
the13bats

Tales with cars

37 posts in this topic

the13bats
On 10/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, karkev said:

1961 Impala

the dizzy had 2 screws holding the cap on and two more holding the rotor cap not small bug on,  so it took him several minutes to do then it was a bulge in any pocket.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, Desertrat56 said:

rewired everything

There was a prank that floated around import tuners about 15 years back, very dangerous, videos on youtube,

They would attach the horn to the clutch pedal or worse To the brake pedal, step on brakes horn blows, so it was a bit nerve wracking to the driver.

Scholar4Truth

How about the famous Urban Legend called Flash Your Lights and Die? or Killer in the Backseat anyone read those stories?

Mantis914

I think probably the one that sticks to my memory most is the one where these two guys go out testing their new 4X4 out in the wilderness and after awhile, they get the bright idea to start blowing things up.  First, starting with fireworks, then moving to dynamite.  Then, the idea comes up to blow up an animal and watch it run away and explode.  They somehow catch a rabbit and strap the dynamite to it, light the fuse then let it go.  The rabbit darts immediately under the 4X4 and blows it to bits.

A similar story did actually happen where a woman saw a snake near her home and got the bright idea to set it on fire to kill it but it ended up slithering under her home and burnt the entire house to the foundation.

Desertrat56
5 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

How about the famous Urban Legend called Flash Your Lights and Die? or Killer in the Backseat anyone read those stories?

We had an incident in Albuquerque  where a woman was lost and her young son was riding in the camper in the back of the pickup.  She saw someone she knew drive past so she flashed her lights to get his attention.  He was having some kind of psychotic or paranoid episode (drugged up too) and he turned his car around and shot up her pickup as he drove by, killing her son.  He didn't know until he was home watching the news and saw the story and shot himself. 

Scholar4Truth
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

We had an incident in Albuquerque  where a woman was lost and her young son was riding in the camper in the back of the pickup.  She saw someone she knew drive past so she flashed her lights to get his attention.  He was having some kind of psychotic or paranoid episode (drugged up too) and he turned his car around and shot up her pickup as he drove by, killing her son.  He didn't know until he was home watching the news and saw the story and shot himself. 

So this legend actually is based on a real incident. :cry:

Desertrat56
13 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

So this legend actually is based on a real incident. :cry:

I heard the legend before this incident happened but there is probably an original incident before that.  When I heard it originally it was a "gang initiation" thing.

jmccr8
On 9/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, the13bats said:

While i think these stories do not form out of thin air its the endless versions embellishments and tellers who are adamant their version is true because they know,

Hi 13bats

I'm sure gulping the sipping whiskey helps in the telling of tales.:rolleyes::whistle::lol:

jmccr8

oldrover

We have, or had, what I think was a variation on the son in Vietnam car type story. I first heard it because the car featured was a Rover p5b, and as my username suggests I liked those, other times it's an XJ6. Also bear in mind thus tale was set in the 60s/70s.

Anyway, a guy is looking through car adds in the paper and sees the Rover/Jag/Mercedes whatever, for sale at around £1. Knowing it must he wrong he decides to look into it anyway. He goes and yes there really is this car for sale at that price. It's being sold by a woman whose husband has left her for another woman and has run off to the Med with his mistress. He sends her a letter saying sell the car and send me the money. 

Obviously this never happened, but it surprised me the number of people who believed it, and could almost place the actual individuals, but never quite. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

Carnoferox

I’m not sure what the name is for this type of story, but I’ve heard a few variations from different people. Most of them say they heard it from a friend who was a police officer or in the army. The story always starts with the friend driving down an isolated road at night, either in the woods or the desert. Soon they come upon a flaming wreck on the side of the road so they stop. Laying in the middle of the road facedown is either one or two people. While the friend sits in their stopped car getting ready to call backup or emergency services, the person/people laying on the road slowly get up. Out of the darkness on both sides of the road emerge dozens of hooded figures, all making their way towards the car. Seeing this the friend promptly starts their car, turns around, and speeds out of there. The implication is that a local cult was trying to lure in drivers using a fake crash scene. While obviously not true, it is a fun story and it always entertains me when people fall for it.

• Like 1

Scholar4Truth
19 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

I’m not sure what the name is for this type of story, but I’ve heard a few variations from different people. Most of them say they heard it from a friend who was a police officer or in the army. The story always starts with the friend driving down an isolated road at night, either in the woods or the desert. Soon they come upon a flaming wreck on the side of the road so they stop. Laying in the middle of the road facedown is either one or two people. While the friend sits in their stopped car getting ready to call backup or emergency services, the person/people laying on the road slowly get up. Out of the darkness on both sides of the road emerge dozens of hooded figures, all making their way towards the car. Seeing this the friend promptly starts their car, turns around, and speeds out of there. The implication is that a local cult was trying to lure in drivers using a fake crash scene. While obviously not true, it is a fun story and it always entertains me when people fall for it.

This sounds similar to the Blood Road Cult 

• Like 1

Carnoferox
17 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The cult aspect is similar, but it’s missing the key point of the faked wreck.

rashore
11 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Pretty sneaky of those satanists in the 1600’s considering the area didn’t start getting settled till the early 1800’s and the road wouldn’t exist for at least another century and a half :devil: