Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
itsnotoutthere

John Humphrys retires, accuses BBC of bias.

Recommended Posts

 
RabidMongoose

It really is disgraceful coming from our state TV channel which is supposed to be politically neutral.

They do the absolute legal minimum when it comes to neutrality and then go full-swing liberal-socialist. Why are people paying for it? We dont need TVs anymore, you can have monitors and tablets and smartphones receiving Netflix, Amazon Prime, and cable/sky services. We need someone with the balls to privatise the BBC and to let it have to win viewers via subscription or have to attract advertisers.

We have 3 tablets, 2 laptops, a PS4, and a PC in my house. All of them are on Netllix, all of them are on Amazon Prime, and if we wanted cable is available too.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

Humphrys is only half correct. I think the BBC is anti-Brexit --- not because of political bias, but because of the strong possibility of Brexit leading to Scottish independence.

The breakup of the UK would open up a huge can of worms for the British Broadcasting Corporation, and they have just built a new BBC Scotland HQ, no doubt at enormous expense.

 

Edited by acute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
L.A.T.1961

Time for a public enquiry.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grey Area
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

It really is disgraceful coming from our state TV channel which is supposed to be politically neutral.

I think the term state media is debatable, while the majority of the BBC’s funding comes from the public purse, the state does not have editorial control.  I do exclude the world service from this, that’s a big muddy puddle of its own.

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

They do the absolute legal minimum when it comes to neutrality and then go full-swing liberal-socialist.

Is it against the law for media to have a bias?  The national press certainly has no legal issues with choosing sides.

I do think the BBC has become increasingly one sided since Brexit though.  That I agree with 100%

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

I think the term state media is debatable, while the majority of the BBC’s funding comes from the public purse, the state does not have editorial control.  I do exclude the world service from this, that’s a big muddy puddle of its own.

Is it against the law for media to have a bias?  The national press certainly has no legal issues with choosing sides.

I do think the BBC has become increasingly one sided since Brexit though.  That I agree with 100%

It's not illegal no, but then national press isn't payed for by the public with the threat of imprisonment if you don't buy a newspaper. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

Every time I stay at a European hotel I can see most of the BBC channels on the TV.  Perhaps the BBC want to please their European viewers?  Do they pay the same as UK licence holders?  I wonder if the BBC are worried that Brexit might affect their ability to broadcast across Europe?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly

The BBC is dominated by champagne socialists it's as simple as that, John Humphrys isn't the first to make this claim, it should be impartial as much as possible or at least try and represent the views of the population as an whole, but it doesn't and it's time to end the licence fee.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron2016

Even back in 1926 the BBC were used as a political tool to stop the General Strike and during the war the BBC was notorious for spreading fake propaganda to Germany.

 

US newspapers - 1941

prop1.png

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevewinn
On 9/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, Aaron2016 said:

Every time I stay at a European hotel I can see most of the BBC channels on the TV.  Perhaps the BBC want to please their European viewers?  Do they pay the same as UK licence holders?  I wonder if the BBC are worried that Brexit might affect their ability to broadcast across Europe?

 

 

i believe BBC channels broadcast outside of the UK, funding comes from the foreign office budget.

edit to add, just checked. funding from the foreign office ended in 2014. but funding from the govt continues.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RabidMongoose
Just now, stevewinn said:

i believe BBC channels broadcast outside of the UK, funding comes from the foreign office budget.

Planet Wide in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
On 9/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, itsnotoutthere said:

It's not illegal no, but then national press isn't payed for by the public with the threat of imprisonment if you don't buy a newspaper. 

Neither are you for not having a TV licence. 

It's not having a licence but still watching TV that's the issue. Kind of like you can't drive without a driving licence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
5 minutes ago, Setton said:

Neither are you for not having a TV licence. 

It's not having a licence but still watching TV that's the issue. Kind of like you can't drive without a driving licence. 

What if you don't watch the BBC? 

What if you only use your TV to watch Netflix and amazon? 

Why should you have to buy a licence based on ownership of a television. 

The BBC should be a subscription service, then the people that watch it pay for it, it's very democratic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
7 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

What if you don't watch the BBC? 

Then you still pay for it. Just like you pay for the NHS even if you go private. 

Quote

What if you only use your TV to watch Netflix and amazon? 

Then you don't have to pay the fee. 

Quote

Why should you have to buy a licence based on ownership of a television. 

It isn't.

You really need to get some facts on this instead of whatever drivel you've cooked up with your right wing friends. 

Quote

The BBC should be a subscription service, then the people that watch it pay for it, it's very democratic. 

I presume this idea therefore also extends to other areas of society, like the NHS example above. 

Since I don't drive, I should get a tax cut. Why should I pay for roads for others to use?

And another one as I don't have kids. Why am I paying for schools and teachers? 

There are any number of things we pay for, whether we use them or not. You just don't like this one because it doesn't pander to your victim narrative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

So John Humphrys retires and states the obvious eh?  The BBC is so obviously biased in their political spin that it doesn't take memoirs to know it, just viewing it with a neutral mindset is the only thing it takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
34 minutes ago, Setton said:

Then you still pay for it. Just like you pay for the NHS even if you go private. 

Then you don't have to pay the fee. 

It isn't.

You really need to get some facts on this instead of whatever drivel you've cooked up with your right wing friends. 

I presume this idea therefore also extends to other areas of society, like the NHS example above. 

Since I don't drive, I should get a tax cut. Why should I pay for roads for others to use?

And another one as I don't have kids. Why am I paying for schools and teachers? 

There are any number of things we pay for, whether we use them or not. You just don't like this one because it doesn't pander to your victim narrative. 

So you equate watching 'Strictly' with using the NHS, hmm interesting world view you have. And you don't pay road tax if you don't drive a car. But I think I know at which point I lost you, it's when I pointed out that making it a subscription service would be more democratic, I know you don't go in for that whole democracy thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

 democracy

You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
8 minutes ago, Setton said:

You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it means. 

And you've proved you don't.

For you enlightenment :-

Definition of democracy

1a: government by the people especially : rule of the majority
Edited by itsnotoutthere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
53 minutes ago, OverSword said:

So John Humphrys retires and states the obvious eh?  The BBC is so obviously biased in their political spin that it doesn't take memoirs to know it, just viewing it with a neutral mindset is the only thing it takes.

I think the real story here is that he needed to wait tell retirement to say the obvious.

Probably to protect his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
itsnotoutthere
34 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I think the real story here is that he needed to wait tell retirement to say the obvious.

Probably to protect his career. 

Indeed. And he's not the only one, Robin Aitkin and Peter Sissons both said exactly the same.

P.s. And Rod Liddle.

 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:
 especially

There's the word you keep missing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.