Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schizophrenic or psychic abilities?

LarryTerryBerry

My family on my mom's side always had gifts though I usually see it as a curse, it started when from what I hear my grandmas mom practiced a lot of black magic (my grandma is super religious so it possibly couldn't have been black magic and she's just assuming it was evil) and in doing so killed most of everyone except my grandma, they all died through weird means like being struck by lightning mid day with no storm which is what happened to her cousin, after that these "gifts" started appearing in our family, I've asked exactly what my great grandmother did but my mom and grandma refuse to tell. My aunt Shan can see dead animals, and my mom, aunt Diana, and my brother have prophetic dreams. I'm a different story, because I have both and some, though because I have most they've been significantly cut down an example being I can only see dead animals out of the corner of my eye, and my prophetic dreams are nothing grand just usually me doing things and even by then I forget them in the morning and only remember when in doing the thing. Also all my life I could will small things to happen if I focus enough like make my cat meow or make my friends in magic the gathering play the cards I want them to, however I've never really known whether I just wanted to believe that or if it's actually real, also the last thing and it's recent is I started seeing things happen before they happen like my psychologist opening the door for me to her then open the door soon after, this also happened when I saw a man walk down the street then later that same day the same man in the same clothes on the same street walking that exact same path. I've always believed these things were real but recently started to doubt it wondering if it's just schizophrenia. Any clues?

Edited by LarryTerryBerry
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You're referring to DEJA VU. The mind is believed to conjure up “models” of reality based on our conscious experiences in the day to day. When some of such “models” actually occur in reality, we feel a sense of deja vu. That's perfectly normal. Your mind only projected the most precise model. It's like playing a game with multiple endings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why can't it be both? I think some people can be both from all I have heard. A schizophrenic might receive more psychic input than his mind can make sense of in the everyday world and hence have major problems in the everyday world.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LarryTerryBerry said:

I've always believed these things were real but recently started to doubt it wondering if it's just schizophrenia. Any clues?

schizophrenia is a real thing- psychic abilities are yet to be proven for the past 100 thousand years.

Your doubt is justified when one uses logic & rational thinking, which you're obviously doing here it seems= well done & welcome to my world;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, LarryTerryBerry said:

I've always believed these things were real but recently started to doubt it wondering if it's just schizophrenia.

I noticed you have a psychologist and you were wondering if it's just schizophrenia - But I wasn't sure (after reading your post again) if you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia?

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Why can't it be both? I think some people can be both from all I have heard. A schizophrenic might receive more psychic input than his mind can make sense of in the everyday world and hence have major problems in the everyday world.

Do you know any schizophrenics?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Do you know any schizophrenics?

Only met some briefly like most people have. Most of my information comes from the assessment of people I respect.

• Like 1

I don't know about schizophrenia but a lot of people with different forms of Autism are very open to the paranormal,premonitions are a common theme.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, openozy said:

I don't know about schizophrenia but a lot of people with different forms of Autism are very open to the paranormal,premonitions are a common theme.

Umm...no. Sorry (actually I'm not) but..just. plain. No..

Having a psychological condition doesn't make you a special being that is supposed more "open" to imaginary things but it can make them more vulnerable to being scammed, manipulated and subjected to hoaxes. I really don't think it is a good thing to tell a person who may have such tendencies that they are more open to stuff that doesn't exist. It is simply irresponsible, wrong and dangerous and all it ends up doing is encouraging a person to ignore their issues an dive into delusional thinking.

• Thanks 5

40 minutes ago, Bendy Demon said:

Umm...no. Sorry (actually I'm not) but..just. plain. No..

Having a psychological condition doesn't make you a special being that is supposed more "open" to imaginary things but it can make them more vulnerable to being scammed, manipulated and subjected to hoaxes. I really don't think it is a good thing to tell a person who may have such tendencies that they are more open to stuff that doesn't exist. It is simply irresponsible, wrong and dangerous and all it ends up doing is encouraging a person to ignore their issues an dive into delusional thinking.

You don't have to tell the people anything.Many of these people have intelligence and perception of the World you could only dream of.Just because they don't fit into your idea of "normal" does not mean they are not aware or intelligent.You obviously have little insight or knowledge of this and never will.

Edited by openozy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, openozy said:

You don't have to tell the people anything.Many of these people have intelligence and perception of the World you could only dream of.Just because they don't fit into your idea of "normal" does not mean they are not aware or intelligent.You obviously have little insight or knowledge of this and never will.

Mental illness is NOT a super power. Just because you want to believe it is, that doesn't make it so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

Mental illness is NOT a super power. Just because you want to believe it is, that doesn't make it so. 

I never said it was.If you believed in yourself more it would be a good thing for you.

Just now, openozy said:

I never said it was.If you believed in yourself more it would be a good thing for you.

No. You and one other seem to promote this idea that mental illness means that someone is more 'in touch' with some mystical reality. Sorry, no. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

No. You and one other seem to promote this idea that mental illness means that someone is more 'in touch' with some mystical reality. Sorry, no. 

I've never promoted anything like that,I was referring to Autism in this case which is not an illness,its a state of being and often a much more enlightened state in many ways.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, openozy said:

Premonitions are not a common theme in Autism. Premonitions don't exist. 

• Thanks 2

On 9/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, openozy said:

I've never promoted anything like that,I was referring to Autism in this case which is not an illness,its a state of being and often a much more enlightened state in many ways.

Hey Yo @Piney I need your assistance with this. 

On 9/23/2019 at 1:10 AM, openozy said:

The poster you are replying didn't once doubt the intelligence of someone with Autism. You are twisting words.

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
I'm a simpleton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, openozy said:

39 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Hey Yo @Piney I need your assistance with this. 

We have twice the amount of neurons which fire twice as fast and sometimes they misfire or overload your brain.  Which is why I was non-verbal as a child and have a speech hesitation as a adult. . 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

We have twice the amount of neurons which fire twice as fast and sometimes they misfire or overload your brain.  Which is why I was non-verbal as a child and have a speech hesitation as a adult. . 

So no superpowers huh...

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

So no superpowers huh...

Yeah, I can "systemize" anything. History, archaeology, theology, electronics, appliances, and internal combustion engines. 

The only thing I can't repair is a ass crack and a white metal clutch arm. 

I can also "whisper" anything with fur. 

Think of me as a cross between Wildchild and Forge from the X-men. :whistle:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yeah, I can "systemize" anything. History, archaeology, theology, electronics, appliances, and internal combustion engines. 

The only thing I can't repair is a ass crack and a white metal clutch arm. 

I can also "whisper" anything with fur. 

Think of me as a cross between Wildchild and Forge from the X-men. :whistle:

15663c7d1f54a864918addfc66c3441c59717141

• Haha 3

On 9/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, openozy said:

Many of these people have intelligence and perception of the World you could only dream of

I'd describe Piney like this

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2019 at 1:57 AM, LarryTerryBerry said:

they all died through weird means like being struck by lightning mid day with no storm which is what happened to her cousin, after that these "gifts" started appearing in our family,

Hi and welcome to UM.

Can you elaborate on these "gifts". 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:57 AM, LarryTerryBerry said:

lightning mid day with no storm

This is called dry lightning. 

It is not that uncommon in parts of America and people can and do die.

Heat lightning, also known as silent lightning, summer lightning, or dry lightning (mainly used in the American Southwest; not to be confused with dry thunderstorms, which are also often called dry lightning), is a misnomer[1] used for the faint flashes of lightning on the horizon or other clouds from distant thunderstorms that do not appear to have accompanying sounds of thunder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightning

Note you may think there is no storm, but

Thunderstorms always have lightning (thunder is caused by lightning, and you can't have a thunderstorm without thunder), but you can have lightning without a thunderstorm.

it is not possible to have thunder without lightning. Thunder is a direct result of lightning. However, it IS possible that you might see lightning and not hear the thunder because it was too far away. Sometimes this is called “heat lightning” because it occurs most often in the summer.

Dry lightning is lightning that occurs without rain nearby. The NOAA Storm Prediction Center routinely forecasts dry lightning because this kind is more likely to cause forest fires.

https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/education/svrwx101/lightning/faq/

• Like 2