Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Paris now a filthy city?

Eldorado

"Along the boulevard to the landmark Place de la République – looking shabby despite a £20m facelift six years ago – the homeless dozed in doorways or on benches, sleeping bags pulled over their heads.

"The pavements were littered with abandoned electric scooters and bicycles, and punctuated by dog mess and cigarette ends. A man walking west opened a new packet of cigarettes and threw the cellophane and silver paper on the ground.

"The city of light and of romance has become a dirty old town, or as locals have nicknamed it, Paris poubelle (dustbin Paris)."

Full article at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/22/paris-dirty-image-litter-dog-mess

"Whether it's the urine-soaked streets, ubiquitous dog poop or cigarette butts as far as the eye can see, tourists and Parisians have a lot to complain about.

"Paris authorities pump a lot of money and manpower into keeping the city clean. So what’s the problem? Could it be Parisians themselves?"

Video report at France 24: https://www.france24.com/en/20180913-paris-clean-dirty-hygiene-tourism-dogs-cigarette-butt-urine-anne-hidalgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Piney

Prague cleans up and Paris goes to pot.  :lol:

Prague is nicer place if your looking for a Bohemian city to wander anyway.

• Like 4

Taun

San Francisco and Los Angeles are going down the toilet also... (pun intended)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Piney
1 minute ago, Taun said:

San Francisco and Los Angeles are going down the toilet also... (pun intended)

L.A. has been in the toilet since the 90s. San Fran was headed there about the same time. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

itsnotoutthere

Yes, I've read this from others sources also.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

and then

Cities are nothing more than a reflection of the discipline and pride of the humans that dwell there.  The same effects can be seen in neighborhoods or homes.  Much fuss has been made of the rights of human beings to move freely and to be accepted into new places whether they agree with the existing law and culture or not.  I wonder what kind of civilization they and their descendants will build?

• Like 3

Aaron2016

Went to Paris on the Eurostar back in 2006 and again in 2012.  First thing I noticed was the smell of sewage, and the buildings had a horrible gangrene impression about them - as if the city had flooded and the water had drained, and stained the walls with a dirty texture.  I remember standing where Hitler stood when he decided not to destroy the city, and when I stood there my first thought was 'Why?'.  Horrible as it sounds, but that was my reaction at the time.  Been to many capital cities around the world, and Paris was the dirtiest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1