Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Venus have been habitable?

Eldorado

"Venus may have been a temperate planet hosting liquid water for 2-3 billion years, until a dramatic transformation starting over 700 million years ago resurfaced around 80% of the planet.

"A study presented today at the EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2019 by Michael Way of The Goddard Institute for Space Science gives a new view of Venus's climatic history and may have implications for the habitability of exoplanets in similar orbits."

Full monty at Phys Org: https://phys.org/news/2019-09-venus-habitable.html

"In 1978, NASA’s Pioneer Venus (aka. Pioneer 12) mission reached Venus (“Earth’s Sister”) and found indications that Venus may have once had oceans on its surface. Since then, several missions have been sent to Venus and gathered data on its surface and atmosphere.

"From this, a picture has emerged of how Venus made the transition from being an “Earth-like” planet to the hot and hellish place it is today."

Full article at Universe Today dot com: https://www.universetoday.com/143478/venus-could-have-supported-life-for-billions-of-years/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ell said:

I don't believe that model.

In my opinion Venus has been like this for the past 4.5 billion years.

Well care to share why?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rolci said:

Didn't we already know this from the Ra Material way back in the eighties? Oh wait, we did!

What is the Ra Material ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ell said:

I don't believe that model.

In my opinion Venus has been like this for the past 4.5 billion years.

because...

1 hour ago, Ell said:

The Sun has been there for 4.5 billion years.

I don't want to blow Ell's bubble - I'm sure his opinion counts highly in certain circles - but I think it needs to be pointed out: quite a lot can happen in 4 500 000 000 years.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ell said:

The Sun has been there for 4.5 billion years.

Yes, and the sun was much weaker in the past, meaning that Venus was cooler.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ell said:

I don't believe that model. In my opinion Venus has been like this for the past 4.5 billion years.

So you came to this conclusion by running the model on a real high end computer?

1 hour ago, Tom1200 said:

I don't want to blow Ell's bubble - I'm sure his opinion counts highly in certain circles - but I think it needs to be pointed out: quite a lot can happen in 4 500 000 000 years.

Not in any academic ones. 

I'm of the opinion Venus's oceans caused it to tidally lock with the sun which caused a super fast evaporation of them creating the current atmosphere. Then the coriolis effect was created by the high speed winds causing it to spin slowly widdershins.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

quite a lot can happen in 4 500 000 000 years.

Nah, not much have happened to the Earth in the last 4.5 billion years. :whistle:

It appears that Venus might have had quite a bit of water, possibly oceans, but being closer to the Sun it probably suffered a runaway greenhouse effect as the Sun got hotter. As fred_mc pointed out the Sun was cooler when it was young (around 70% of today if I remember correctly)

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Nah, not much have happened to the Earth in the last 4.5 billion years. :whistle:

It appears that Venus might have had quite a bit of water, possibly oceans, but being closer to the Sun it probably suffered a runaway greenhouse effect as the Sun got hotter. As fred_mc pointed out the Sun was cooler when it was young (around 70% of today if I remember correctly)

Earth can get fu**ed anytime... and it will be undeniably when the sun will engulf it when it go pow. 

So this would be the third planet in our solar system showing signs of past catastrophe. Furthermore the Rings of Saturn are relatively Young. Still despite many clues scientists have not reached out to the conclusion that there was another planet in our solar system creating havoc. It collided with another celestial body resulting in heavy meteorite bombardment of the Earth millions of years ago as well having stripped Mars atmosphere. Very possible that Mars satellites are  a reminisce. Everything correlates well together.

Edited by qxcontinuum

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Furthermore the Rings of Saturn are relatively Young. 

Are they?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-09/sri-nss091719.php 

Even the "young" estimate puts them at many tens of millions of years old.  

• Like 1

Get ready for it. "Ancient Venusians ignored warnings, by their scientific community, of pending doom; leading to the extinction of their civilization."

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Essan said:

Are they?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-09/sri-nss091719.php 

Even the "young" estimate puts them at many tens of millions of years old.  

That is not what the article it's saying. It just presents both theories and it ends with ambiguity.

"Until relatively recently" - 715 million years!? :D Of course on a cosmic scale that is "a short time", but I really don't believe myself that Venus ever had the changes of being a hospitable place for life, even for the most primordial?

8 hours ago, SmartAZ said:

We have eye witness records of the birth of Venus. It was NEVER temperate.

Please do tell who saw Venus' birth ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I bought popcorn. Expecting awesome answer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 11:32 PM, mdbuilder said:

Get ready for it. "Ancient Venusians ignored warnings, by their scientific community, of pending doom; leading to the extinction of their civilization."

With the current cult getting worried, (worried that they are wrong) l have no doubts about that statement ending up on a newspaper headline eventually.

Tony H, covered this, or the base of the grand canyon is much hotter than up above, and if you dug 50 km's at the GC base, then it would be Venus at ground level.

Venuses atmosphere is also very different to ours, so saying Earth will end up as Venus if we don't reduce a gas that has a tiny, affect on climate, well, we may as well say, our moon was Earth like, and some unicorns stripped the atmosphere away, and we are next!

Fear based nonsence.

B)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2019 at 3:01 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Apparently you never studied Latin or Greek or any other foreign language. Venus was also called Gorgon, Medusa, and a few other names. An image search turns up thousands of pictures. If you don't feel like learning a language you can find a flood of scientific research here: https://mythopedia.info/ Get a supply of chips and drinks because that link leads to thousands of pages, all of them written by scientists.

2 hours ago, SmartAZ said:

Apparently you never studied Latin or Greek or any other foreign language. Venus was also called Gorgon, Medusa, and a few other names. An image search turns up thousands of pictures. If you don't feel like learning a language you can find a flood of scientific research here: https://mythopedia.info/ Get a supply of chips and drinks because that link leads to thousands of pages, all of them written by scientists.

Last time I checked the Ancient Greeks and Romans lived thousands of years ago, not billions.

• Like 2