Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeologists dig up Victorian burial ground

Still Waters

Time-lapse footage has shown archaeologists digging up a Victorian burial ground where 6,500 people were buried as they pave the way for the controversial HS2 railway line. 

A team of 70 archaeologists spent a year excavating the 19th-century Park Street site in Birmingham where a station on the high-speed route is set to be built. 

Forensic combing of the burial ground also found a treasure trove of historical artifacts including figurines, coins, toys and necklaces inside the coffins.

Along with the thousands of skeletons, these items will now be examined and informed by historical documents, such as parish records and wills, to develop detailed biographies of the individuals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7485463/Archaeologists-dig-Victorian-burial-ground-Birminghams-HS2-station-go.html

• Like 2

Fascinating.  My memory is an odd thing at times.  Watching this process made me wonder how they could be sure they had removed all the remains and it brought to mind an old film from the 60s or 70s that I saw as a kid.  It was called Sole Survivor.  A bomber crew in North Africa crashed in the desert and it was about their struggle to survive.  They waited for rescue then eventually began trying to walk out to find help.  They kept returning to the plane because they were walking in circles. 

Eventually,  a rescue party came but when the crew went to them in celebration, the rescuers ignored them as if they weren't there.  Turned out in the end that they had all died and the "rescuers" were from years in the future and, having spotted the plane wreckage in remote part of the desert, they had gone to retrieve the remains.  As they bagged up each set of remains, the characters you'd gotten to know on the crew would disappear.  

There was one crew member that was always playing with a baseball and bat.  That was what I remembered most.  When the "rescuers" left, he had been missed and there alone, he was still playing with that gear... 

Edited by and then
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, and then said:

Fascinating.  My memory is an odd thing at times.  Watching this process made me wonder how they could be sure they had removed all the remains and it brought to mind an old film from the 60s or 70s that I saw as a kid.  It was called Sole Survivor.  A bomber crew in North Africa crashed in the desert and it was about their struggle to survive.  They waited for rescue then eventually began trying to walk out to find help.  They kept returning to the plane because they were walking in circles. 

Eventually,  a rescue party came but when the crew went to them in celebration, the rescuers ignored them as if they weren't there.  Turned out in the end that they had all died and the "rescuers" were from years in the future and, having spotted the plane wreckage in remote part of the desert, they had gone to retrieve the remains.  As they bagged up each set of remains, the characters you'd gotten to know on the crew would disappear.  

There was one crew member that was always playing with a baseball and bat.  That was what I remembered most.  When the "rescuers" left, he had been missed and there alone, he was still playing with that gear... 

Probably used the Lady Be Good as a background to the story plot.

• Thanks 1

That sounds exactly like the plot lines.  The movie made quite an impression on this young kid :) 

• Like 1