Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If it feels strange, measure it!

C.E.Martin

Recently, while watching a Bigfoot documentary, it occurred to me that investigators of the strange and unusual rarely do their due diligence and don't try and quantify their "feelings" with some actual measuring of phenomena.

Case in point, this documentary, "The Bigfoot", a film by The Casual Preppers (https://youtu.be/YoUv5a6wGck), has two podcast hosts with an interest in the strange going out into the woods to an area where an eyewitness reports Bigfoot encounters. They reach an area that they both decide "feels very strange". On the TV screen at my home, this area looked just like the rest of the woods they were in. The hosts pass through this area multiple times, continuing to note how strange it is, but they don't look into that strangeness.

Smartphones (which they used to help record some parts of this documentary) have a variety of apps that could be used to check into strange feelings, whether they be in the woods sasquatching, or in a house looking for apparitions. Many smart phones measure your stress and oxygen levels. Perhaps that strange feeling is you're not getting enough oxygen? Measure your O2 level, then move on a ways to where you don't feel strange, and try again, comparing the results. Or maybe there's a build up of CO2 or Methane. Amazon sells home detector units for both that are relatively inexpensive. Even a radon detector might prove useful in finding out what you're breathing or being exposed to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7Z79D5
https://www.amazon.com/zorvo-Detector-Portable-Combustible-Alarm-LCD/dp/B07WHJ4K58/
https://www.amazon.com/Corentium-Detector-Airthings-223-Lightweight/dp/B00H2VOSP8
https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm/dp/B018A39TNM

In addition to gasses you might be breathing, there's also the issue of sound waves. Infrasound, akin to the infamous "brown note" or Hum heard in so many cities around the world are known to cause physiological effects. Smart phone apps that can measure sound levels are abundant, or you could opt for a handheld meter to detect what our ears can't make out.

Maybe it's electrical when you feel strange? EMFs were originally made to detect dangerous fields of energy in structures, which are known to create feelings of dread, cause headaches, etc in people. True, the likelihood of high power lines running through the deep woods seems unlikely, but what if there's a naturally-occurring build up of static electricity--scientists continue to research discharges of lightning from volcanoes, so is it that much of a stretch to believe that negative ions could build in areas, awaiting a storm to discharge?

And what about radiation? Uranium and other ores occur in nature. Being unseen, radioactivity leeching from naturally occurring, or even manmade objects might be present anywhere. A simple geiger counter, a dosimeter, or even one of those X-ray tech exposure badges might reveal something strange about an area known to "feel strange".

https://www.amazon.com/WAYSEAR-professional-radiation-detector-dosimeters/dp/B073BBNBR3/

Along the same lines as unseen energy, what about invisible-to-our-eyes wavelengths of light? Scorpions and other natural materials fluoresce under a black light. If an area feels strange, return at night with UV lamps and see if something shows up that other areas lack. Maybe that strange feeling is related to mold or some other kind of spores. 

And then, there's FLIR, or thermal cameras. Today, you can purchase a thermal imager for your smart phone for under $300. Ghost hunters use these a lot, but why not use them for other strange investigations?

https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-One-Thermal-Imager-Android/dp/B0728C7KNC

What types of measurements have you taken on an investigation?

What types of devices have you taken in the field with you?

• Like 1

very good refreshing post, should be fun to see where it goes,

in my experiences very few bf hunters look like piney most make me think they would be better suited at waddling to the fridge to hunt that elusive tub of french oinion dip for their ruffles why they watch soft core on HBO,

as far as "measurements" and reaserch goes, this idea of an odd feeling, i get that heading to disney or a restaurant i like, i thought i was just a bit excited, i know some try to get all oohgah boogah and act like they have some special powers and their spidy sense is a tingle but no, thats in their minds and while the correct equipment used the right way will measure heart rate o2 levels etc of a person out hunting bigfoot its not much of a use when they all go home empty handed.

in 20 years i havent seen except one or two aired shows  hunting bf that i didnt think was fluffed up claptrap made for profits and entertainment not real science real investigation work,

perhaps im asking expecting too much

30 minutes ago, the13bats said:

in my experiences very few bf hunters look like piney most make me think they would be better suited at waddling to the fridge to hunt that elusive tub of french oinion dip for their ruffles why they watch soft core on HBO,

I don't have a dog in this fight and I rarely comment but I have to compliment you on your wit and turn of phrase... even if the imagery you summoned was a bit disturbing :w00t:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and I rarely comment but I have to compliment you on your wit and turn of phrase... even if the imagery you summoned was a bit disturbing :w00t:

ty.ty very much i do try..:D my wife calls it "trying"

i can turn a phase as easily as i can turn a stomach :blink:

when i saw this wide open door of a subject line,

"If it feels strange, measure it!" i did think, ooh boy this one will be sweet...but i didnt run with it...:whistle:

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, C.E.Martin said:

Many smart phones measure your stress and oxygen levels. Perhaps that strange feeling is you're not getting enough oxygen?

Phones do not have sensors for stress or oxygen levels. The only things they can detect is audio, video, and location.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, the13bats said:

when i saw this wide open door of a subject line,

"If it feels strange, measure it!" i did think, ooh boy this one will be sweet...but i didnt run with it...:whistle:

I had the exact same instinct.  It was hard to resist such a slow one right over the plate :w00t:  I think I'll leave the lumbering double entendres to Dumbledore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always believed this to be sound advice. :yes: 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, acute said:

Phones do not have sensors for stress or oxygen levels. The only things they can detect is audio, video, and location.

Samsung S6 and 7 do. You place your finger over sensor and it measures heart rate, o2 and somehow "stress level". 

(I'm replying on an S7Active)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.E.Martin said:

Samsung S6 and 7 do. You place your finger over sensor and it measures heart rate, o2 and somehow "stress level". 

(I'm replying on an S7Active)

Well, pulse oximetry is just an optical sensor and it does the same readings - except for stress level.  I think they may be selling shade with that one ;)