Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Franco exhumation expected to cause upset

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

"Spain’s supreme court is expected to announce on Tuesday whether General Franco’s remains can be exhumed from the vast mausoleum outside Madrid where they have lain since the dictator’s death in 1975.

"Removing Franco’s body from its tomb in the Valley of the Fallen has been one of the key priorities of the Spanish Socialist Workers’ party (PSOE) since it came to power in June last year."

Full report at the UK Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/22/spain-supreme-court-ruling-on-franco-exhumation-expected-to-cause-upset

 

"Many on the left are repulsed by the existence of the Valley of the Fallen, comparing it to a monument glorifying Hitler."

At Yahoo news: https://news.yahoo.com/spanish-court-rule-franco-exhumation-sept-24-140422259.html?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RabidMongoose

Let the dead rest.

The guy played no role in WW2 so shouldn't be character assassinated.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy

 

Quote

Let the dead rest.

The guy played no role in WW2 so shouldn't be character assassinated.

He was still responsible for 100's of thousands of peoples death during the civil war and 10's of thousands after the war. No matter how you look at it Franco was a terrible excuse for a human being. 

Don't you think that a mass murderer deserves to be remembered as such ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orphalesion
4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Let the dead rest.

The guy played no role in WW2 so shouldn't be character assassinated.

 Only because this particular Fascist Dictator didn't participate in World War II doesn't mean he wasn't a cruel, brutal Fascist Dictator who killed large numbers of his own country's population (just like the other Fascist Dictators) 

I mean seriously that's like suggesting the Khmer Rouge weren't so bad, because they didn't participate in World War II either. Or that Stalin wasn't a monster only because he ended up on the Allied side of that particular conflict.

Edited by Orphalesion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog

Let him there to remember... erasing history is not a clever way to moving forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
11 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Let him there to remember... erasing history is not a clever way to moving forward.

No one is trying to erase history.

We aren't talking about a small headstone here. Many people feel that something like this is "a little" over the top for a dictators grave.

General Franco's body is buried in a basilica drilled into the side of a mountain at the Valley of the Fallen, one of Europe's largest mass graves

I lived in Spain when Franco died. I was too young to remember, but my parents have told me about how happy and relieved most people were when he died. 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
17 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

 Only because this particular Fascist Dictator didn't participate in World War II doesn't mean he wasn't a cruel, brutal Fascist Dictator who killed large numbers of his own country's population (just like the other Fascist Dictators) 

I mean seriously that's like suggesting the Khmer Rouge weren't so bad, because they didn't participate in World War II either. Or that Stalin wasn't a monster only because he ended up on the Allied side of that particular conflict.

This is an internal matter for Spain.

While I`m sure there are many bitter Communists lets not also forget Nationalists supported him. This is Spanish history, it is what it is and it shouldn't be hidden or revised away. Its not my place to comment on the Spanish Civil War, but their people fought over who would lead. A lot fought for Franco, a lot fought against him. This domestic matter is for the Spanish to figure out themselves, its none of our business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

This is an internal matter for Spain.

While I`m sure there are many bitter Communists lets not also forget Nationalists supported him. This is Spanish history, it is what it is and it shouldn't be hidden or revised away. Its not my place to comment on the Spanish Civil War, but their people fought over who would lead. A lot fought for Franco, a lot fought against him. This domestic matter is for the Spanish to figure out themselves, its none of our business.

That is true. Franco's crimes concerned the Spanish people and what they decide is what should be done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

This domestic matter is for the Spanish to figure out themselves, its none of our business.

Then why on Earth did you comment on it in the first place ? 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imaginarynumber1
2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

This is an internal matter for Spain.

This domestic matter is for the Spanish to figure out themselves, its none of our business.

The **** are you on about? SPAIN'S SUPREME COURT is the one making the decision 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
15 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The **** are you on about? SPAIN'S SUPREME COURT is the one making the decision 

They have just decided that Francos remains can be moved. Most likely he will be buried next to his wife.

May he rot in peace.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.