Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The man who shot Bigfoot gets jail time

the13bats

yeah, i know my subject line is up to interpretation.

https://www.theunion.com/news/crime/justin-smeja-reality-tv-bigfoot-hunter-faces-charges-in-nevada-county/

While i never bought his story or online oddities in forums i have to wonder if he really does believe his tale.

but not surprising he got busted on things that if he had any intregrity or credibilty its gone now.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

“I’ve shot and killed two of them,” 

He faces misdemeanor accusations involving bear tags, 

https://www.theunion.com/news/crime/justin-smeja-reality-tv-bigfoot-hunter-faces-charges-in-nevada-county/

What bears? 

Hence bear tags. There are no bigfoot tags because there is no bigfoot.

• Thanks 3

I just watched a YouTube vid of Justin Smeja telling his story. 

From what I could 'glean', basically, he and a friend were out hunting in an area they shouldn't have been, when they saw three bigfoots [bigfeet?] He figured he was looking at some kind of monster so he aimed his rifle - he says it actually raised it's hands above it's head - but he decided to shoot two of them anyway. At the bodies he and his friend began freaking out so they buried either one or both of the bigfoots then left the site deciding what they should do next. That night it began to snow so they couldn't return to the burial site for another 35 or so days due to snow, but when they finally did return, there was only a skinned piece of hide. They got the hide tested and the tests came back inconclusive, conflicting - definitely a bear, other tests possibly primate - but ultimately the testing went nowhere. He's on the internet with his story.

Yes, definitely UM material, that's for sure. 

• Like 4

I listened to a scientist that does DNA research and he says there is no such thing as unknown DNA.

He states that DNA is either so degraded, i.e. broken into small pieces too small to use, or it can be identified . Depending on the length of extant pieces it can be classified as to the appropriate kingdom. A bit longer and it can be worked out to phylum and classes. He stated that ti is reasonable to determine if the animal is a bear or primate. He says claims of unknown or unidentifiable DNA is just the sort of thing a hoax states, not real scientists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

While i never bought his story or online oddities in forums i have to wonder if he really does believe his tale.

I watched a show where he received DNA verification that it was a bear he shot and based on his response I do think he believed he had shot a bigfoot.

i believe this is the same guy that was on coast 2 coast a few years ago.

If i recall, he said he buried them, then went back to retrieve them and either couldn't find them or they were gone.

Sure, buddy. Sure.

8ft tall? In weather cold enough for snow? I really dont envy them having to dig a hole that size..

It's very lucky they brought shovels on a hunting trip too.. it's just a shame he didn't bring a camera or mobile phone instead - I'd have thought that would be standard equipment for a bigfoot hunter? Of course it would need to be a 90s camcorder to get that authentic level of blurriness just right

• Like 1

I wanted to get discussion going on this case, its older and many already dismissed semja as a liar or loon or both, and not really much to go on besides his incredible "story".

i find his stories details changed but not much, he allegedly shoots an adult bigfoot it runs off then he shots a young one in the neck runs over to it and it dramatically, tragically basically dies in his arms looking into his eyes,  saying why? but semja isnt touched like the deer hunter in the movie powder  no, its not about another dead creature he killed but rather all about him.

hes supposedly a savvy hunter, if you wounded a momna bear then her club would it be wise to run over and grab the club?

i have read they had pones/cameras but just didnt think to grab a few selfies, talk about money shot wasted, yep thats right a fellow who tries to play off at first they didnt know what the creatures are but after that says countless times bf is his life doesnt grab a pic or far more likely hauls the body home.

although i read on a forum ( you know how forums are )  he actually did haul it home and out of fear its a hominid and he just committed murder he hides it, yeah, nice embellishment but then you wouldnt spew the story at all.

I also saw a forum thread where a person claimed to be him was defending it really happened with all kinds of convolution about no pix and "steak" tested bear.

then when he is well served as a loon, the plot take a wild turn in pops a person claiming to be that mystery buddy with him that day, he pretty much supports it all happened and he wasnt happy about it, he also claimed to have a real "steak" from the alleged creature but he wasnt coming forward with it, oddly he wrote just like the person claiming to be semja, so who knows.

wow, if real deal what a great friend, he could make his pal go from looking like a loon to being the guy who in cold blood murdered a child and likely its mother ( bigfoot ) but hes not coming out.

I have no clue if these were the real players or imposters.

and then the alleged "steak" what a colorful yet on thought disgusting term to give the alleged sample of young bigfoot tissue sample, 

while that one DNA "expert" claimed this or that she also eeems to thinks every sample is bf and seems i read her suggest bf is a human canine mix or something like that.

then BBC i believe was the outfit does a 3 part bf special Mark Evans meets up with semja and gets the story from him, he give up his tissue sample and boots he claimed it bleed all over, and in an intro teaser further instilled that bf, proving he really shot it is his whole life, that he would give his "house" for proof, ( veiled offer of a bribe? ).

so evans, sykes and semja meet not at a lab but a local sports bar patio where a very considerate sykes tells an expectant semja that the "steak" tested bear, semja makes it clear thats rubbish, he has no issues with "reality", which struck me as an odd thing to say then sykes tells him no blood could be found on the boots, semja is moved to tears and says he will lay in bed and cry as this is his life, sykers comforting words are DNA Is ruthless,

evans isnt as coddling and goes in for the jugular, he asks him is it a big hoax which semja whimpers out a simple cracking voice "no"  later evans calls semja a broken man who likely wishes he could start over on the whole shotting a bf idea, my take was evans thinks semja is full of bull.

if i didnt fear being duped by a person who made all this up and knows it i would feel really sorry for semja, he could have serious delusional mental illness,

Just imagine you are the person to shoot and kill a bigfoot, you then do a series of stupid things each getting more ridiculous, you spew your story get called a heartless killer, a liar and a loon and due to just being stupid you have zero proof, even the guy you claim was with you wont back you up.

Then i remember i dont believe bigfoot exists anyway so what does that leave me, a fellow who is lying, a loon or both, im right where i started.

so what do you think, semja did kill a bigfoot then got stupid not collecting any proof, or hes lying and knows it or hes nuttier than a squirrel turd and believers he really killed a bigfoot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

so what do you think, semja did kill a bigfoot then got stupid not collecting any proof, or hes lying and knows it or hes nuttier than a squirrel turd and believers he really killed a bigfoot.

Just for fun one other option is that his story is true but the resulting story changes and bear steaks are a result of the government getting involved. Would also explain why the friend wont talk or let anyone have a piece of the "real" steak.

It would also explain why any time the dude has been on camera he looks like hed rather be peeling off his fingernails.

Granted the above is all much more easily explained with the hoax/nutjob theory but what the hell is the fun in that?

• Like 3

One thing that worries me is if they shot a couple of hunters in gillie suits. I use one and have seen other hunters with one and at a hundred yards, one definitely looks like a bigfoot. No pics, cant find the bodies? Scary stuff.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, acute said:

He probably shot 2 bigfoot hunters wearing fur coats.

I have heard suicide by cop is no longer popular instead people dress up in fur coats to resamble a bear during hunting season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can't guarantee he didn't kill someone, but I very much doubt it, it seems a lot more like bigfoot hunter bar talk bravado to me:

I'm the biggest badass bigfoot hunter!

No I am!

Yeah well I saw a bigfoot once, he was this close!

Yeah well I saw two - and I shot them, badass!

Wow really, did you get any evidence?

No well.. my phone was out of battery, and there was snow and stuff, and my dog ate my homework. I just buried the body for later

Cool, let's go dig it up!

Erm no, I went back and it totally disappeared! Extra dimensional being and all that..

Bummer!

Not to mention that unless this guy was drunk or shortsighted (hopefully neither if he's hunting) or dropped them from half a mile away I'm pretty sure he could tell a bigfoot from a human however they were dressed. If the burial part is true he'd definitely know, so why would he tell anyone? And if he didn't bury them then there's two bodies lying around in the woods and you'd hope a missing persons investigation..

OK animal predation would likely solve that problem pretty quickly but on balance the whole thing just seems unlikely to me

Throw in the changing story (likely to fill in holes in the original narrative) and the dud DNA results and we only really have his word for anything - and even he can't seem to agree what that is!

He's a "reality TV bigfoot hunter", it's right there in the intro, if it quacks like a duck..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Chewie1990 said:

I can't guarantee he didn't kill someone, but I very much doubt it, it seems a lot more like bigfoot hunter bar talk bravado to me:

I'm the biggest badass bigfoot hunter!

No I am!

Yeah well I saw a bigfoot once, he was this close!

Yeah well I saw two - and I shot them, badass!

Wow really, did you get any evidence?

No well.. my phone was out of battery, and there was snow and stuff, and my dog ate my homework. I just buried the body for later

Cool, let's go dig it up!

Erm no, I went back and it totally disappeared! Extra dimensional being and all that..

Bummer!

Not to mention that unless this guy was drunk or shortsighted (hopefully neither if he's hunting) or dropped them from half a mile away I'm pretty sure he could tell a bigfoot from a human however they were dressed. If the burial part is true he'd definitely know, so why would he tell anyone? And if he didn't bury them then there's two bodies lying around in the woods and you'd hope a missing persons investigation..

OK animal predation would likely solve that problem pretty quickly but on balance the whole thing just seems unlikely to me

Throw in the changing story (likely to fill in holes in the original narrative) and the dud DNA results and we only really have his word for anything - and even he can't seem to agree what that is!

He's a "reality TV bigfoot hunter", it's right there in the intro, if it quacks like a duck..

Funny first part, smart second part. Gave you a smart because " THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

One thing that worries me is if they shot a couple of hunters in gillie suits. I use one and have seen other hunters with one and at a hundred yards, one definitely looks like a bigfoot. No pics, cant find the bodies? Scary stuff.

This is an actual concern, seems i heard of a fellow getting hit and killed by a car dorking around in s bigfoot or gillie suit, and i would believe its a real risk hunting of getting killed by another hunter for many reasons,

the reason i doubt in this case he killed people ( it anything ) is he raised such a flag anyone missing would have suspected this.

To have speculative fun like farmer, how about he shoots a bear, but when he first saw it he had bigfoot cross his mind, he then perhaps really did bury it  the bear, perhaps it wasnt season or correct area or something, as we see he has poaching accusations,

so he out wanting that bigfoot bar room attention tells the story and that fuels him to go get the "meat"  which even buried in the snow would have some decomposition and scavenger activity, hes more less railroaded from that point to allow it to be tested, perhaps he hoped it would come back inconclusive which he could say, see i told you...it was bigfoot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hankenhunter/media/download1.jpg.html]download1.jpg

This is a very close pic. Imagine 100 yards further. Even my dog was confused and kept trying to pee on me.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zygote_myles said:

I just watched a YouTube vid of Justin Smeja telling his story. 

From what I could 'glean', basically, he and a friend were out hunting in an area they shouldn't have been, when they saw three bigfoots [bigfeet?] He figured he was looking at some kind of monster so he aimed his rifle - he says it actually raised it's hands above it's head - but he decided to shoot two of them anyway. At the bodies he and his friend began freaking out so they buried either one or both of the bigfoots then left the site deciding what they should do next. That night it began to snow so they couldn't return to the burial site for another 35 or so days due to snow, but when they finally did return, there was only a skinned piece of hide. They got the hide tested and the tests came back inconclusive, conflicting - definitely a bear, other tests possibly primate - but ultimately the testing went nowhere. He's on the internet with his story.

Yes, definitely UM material, that's for sure. 

That story makes me think they shot people and buried them, then to get away with it claimed they were bigfoot.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@the13bats  Why else would they bury them instead of dragging them back to prove bigfoot existed?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hankenhunter/media/download1.jpg.html]download1.jpg

This is a very close pic. Imagine 100 yards further. Even my dog was confused and kept trying to pee on me.

You know on my phones screen and the size you posted that it could be the patterson creature, curious how tall are you,

its neat how so much detail is lost and the mind can engage,

last halloween a teen was in a gilli suit they are a bit odd even close up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

@the13bats  Why else would they bury them instead of dragging them back to prove bigfoot existed?

That's what I was wondering also, but figured they would keep their mouths shut rather than risk discovery. So I think they're just blowhards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

all the versions i read they or he only killed the youth the adult ran off, okay, lets say they did kill people why raise a flag and if people got killedcwhy no cases connected to this?

i still think they didnt drag it back because there was nothing to drag back,

i wonder ciuld they have killed people or a guy living off the grid, not someone who would be missed

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 3