Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street-cleaning migrant fined by Town Council

Eldorado

"A Nigerian migrant who spends his days sweeping the streets of an Italian town in a bid to find something useful to do has been fined €350 because he did not have the permission of the local council.

"It has become common in the last couple of years for migrants, who have few employment prospects, to clear litter and fallen leaves from the streets of Italian towns and cities. They say they would rather make a contribution to society than beg for money."

Full monty at the UK conservative Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/24/migrant-spends-days-cleaning-streets-italian-town-fined-350/

"They accused him of “flagrantly cleaning the area without council authorisation” and issued him with a €350 fine."

• Confused 1

The last thing you should do if you want someone to leave an area is to put them into some kind of debt where they have to remain until they can pay it off it would seem to me. I am guessing that scaring off others was what they had in mind by doing this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bella-Angelique said:

The last thing you should do if you want someone to leave an area is to put them into some kind of debt where they have to remain until they can pay it off it would seem to me. I am guessing that scaring off others was what they had in mind by doing this

I'd opine that even if he was an Italian-born lawyer who cleaned the streets in his spare time he'd still have been fined, because that's what town and city councils do... the world over.  Am surprised he never got an extra fine for not having a health & safety ticket and a lecture from union heavies about stealing his "brothers" work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your reply has given me insight about much of the rest of the world outside of the USA. Here it is only the metro-areas that are like that, which is why so many have trash piled up in them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bella-Angelique said:

Your reply has given me insight about much of the rest of the world outside of the USA. Here it is only the metro-areas that are like that, which is why so many have trash piled up in them.

Really?  Where are you at?  There's no trash piled up here.

• Like 1

Update:

Italy migrant cleared of fine for sweeping local street

A local council in northern Italy has cancelled a fine imposed on a Nigerian migrant for sweeping streets without permission.

The unemployed 29-year-old, named Monday, had decided to clean streets in the Venice suburb of Mestre instead of begging passersby for money.

He initially received a €350 ($383; £309) penalty. But protests led officials to withdraw it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49831755

• Like 2

Why don't they just hire him to keep doing what he is doing?  He would be employed, they would have clean streets and they would look inclusive to immigrants 

• Like 1