Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Stop Vaping Now": California health chiefs

Eldorado

"California health officials Tuesday urged consumers to stop vaping marijuana or tobacco products until investigators determine why hundreds of people nationwide have been sickened after using the devices.

"Ninety people with a history of vaping have been hospitalized for severe breathing problems and lung damage in the state, and two people have died. With no known cause, officials say consumers should refrain from vaping of any kind until investigations are completed."

Full report at USNews: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2019-09-24/california-to-consumers-stop-vaping-during-health-probe

And CBS Local: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/09/24/california-stop-vaping-mystery-outbreak/

• Like 9

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Vaping and/or Smoking = BAD. 

Don't do it. :D 

Please note: Giving up cigarettes to go inhale toxic fumes through an e-cigarette is not better for one's health and could cause death. DUH.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Please note: Giving up cigarettes to go inhale toxic fumes through an e-cigarette is not better for one's health and could cause death. DUH.

That's why I went cold turkey....not even the gum or pills....

.........Just put a picture of @XenoFish's face on my heavy bag..........

Edited by Piney
**** Atlantis
  • Haha 7

The state that I live in, Massachusetts, just made vaping illegal.  My kid is worried :o

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

The state that I live in, Massachusetts, just made vaping illegal.  My kid is worried :o

yet weed is perfectly legal  there

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

yet weed is perfectly legal  there

Bingo.

And, one city local to Boston has proposed to give assistance to junkies to shoot up. No joke. They will allow you to go to a given location and let a "professional" juice you. Sick. It has not yet been approved

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

1 hour ago, aztek said:

pretty sure FDA played a big, if not the only, role in it.  

I'm seeing hit pieces on vaping here in Canada as well. Weird that despite people vaping regularly for over a decade now, it suddenly requires a Presidential address and lots of health warnings. What's really going on?

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I'm seeing hit pieces on vaping here in Canada as well. Weird that despite people vaping regularly for over a decade now, it suddenly requires a Presidential address and lots of health warnings. What's really going on?

tobacco companies lose business,  paid off gvmnt to intervene, imo

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

tobacco companies lose business,  paid off gvmnt to intervene, imo

That was my first thought when this all started. Funny thing is, big tobacco isn't losing customers to vape pens. They are losing ground because people in general are smoking less than previous generations

10 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

That was my first thought when this all started. Funny thing is, big tobacco isn't losing customers to vape pens. They are losing ground because people in general are smoking less than previous generations

they are not gaining new customers, kids today vape, not smoke,   once smokers generations die out,  they will have no one to sell cigs to, unless they make people switch  to cigs,  so they push gvmnt to ban vapes. they know people will always be addicted to something, they want it to be their cigs

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

they are not gaining new customers, kids today vape, not smoke,   once smokers generations die out,  they will have no one to sell cigs to, unless they make people switch  to cigs,  so they push gvmnt to ban vapes. they know people will always be addicted to something, they want it to be their cigs

Quick answer is for them to start buying up vape companies. They don't have to die out, they can survive if they just change with the times

• Like 2

it is not just them, gvmnt  losing taxes big time, in usa a pack of cigs cost from 5 to 15 today, most of which are taxes.  when i started smoking in early 90s, a pack of Marlboro was 2 bucks, today it is about 14,  gas was about 99c, today about $3 a gallon, train\bus ride was $1 now $3,  nothing went up so much as price for a pack of cigs, (read taxes)  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The deaths and new medical discoveries about vaping were conveniently timed with the latest mass shooting. It provided good cover to move on from the gun conversation. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The deaths and new medical discoveries about vaping were conveniently timed with the latest mass shooting. It provided good cover to move on from the gun conversation. 

Could be...it's all smoke and mirrors these days

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

by the MSM, Farmer??? Really!?  The MSM loves dead kids and interviews with friends, siblings and parents of the dead kids. It's glorious for their business

Related....

“Don’t Vape: Examining the Outbreak of Lung Disease and CDC’s Urgent Warning Not to Use E-Cigarettes”

"The hearing will examine the outbreak of lung illness associated with using e-cigarette products; the causes of the outbreak; the CDC and state health officials warning against the use of e-cigarettes; and CDC reports that youth use of e-cigarettes has risen again.

"As of September 11, 2019, CDC has identified 380 cases of lung illness associated with the use of e-cigarette products in 36 states and 1 U.S. territory.  The outbreak has resulted in at least six deaths in California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, and Oregon."

At the House Oversight Committee: https://oversight.house.gov/legislation/hearings/don-t-vape-examining-the-outbreak-of-lung-disease-and-cdc-s-urgent-warning-not

• Like 1

Update....

Cases of vaping lung disease jump to 805 with 12 deaths, but cause remains a mystery, CDC says

At USA Today: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/26/cdc-reports-805-vaping-lung-disease-cases/3772757002/

And the Voice of America: https://www.voanews.com/science-health/us-vaping-illness-count-jumps-805-deaths-rise-12

• 1 month later...

Update: (emphasis mine)

"Recent CDC laboratory testing of bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid samples (or samples of fluid collected from the lungs) from 29 patients with EVALI submitted to CDC from 10 states found vitamin E acetate in all of the BAL fluid samples.  Vitamin E acetate is used as an additive in the production of e-cigarette, or vaping, products. This is the first time that we have detected a potential chemical of concern in biologic samples from patients with these lung injuries.

"CDC continues to recommend that people should not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products that contain THC, particularly from informal sources like friends, or family, or in-person or online dealers. We will continue to provide updates as more data become available."

At the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

"Breakthrough in CDC vaping illness investigation: Vitamin E acetate linked to THC may be to blame"

At CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/08/health/vaping-injury-vitamin-e-thc-bn/index.html

Edited by Eldorado

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

"The American Medical Association (AMA) on Tuesday called for a total ban on all e-cigarette and vaping products that are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as smoking cessation tools. "

At Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-vaping-ban/influential-u-s-doctors-group-calls-for-ban-on-vaping-products-idUKKBN1XT2SR

• Like 2

Related news:

"A potential U.S. ban on e-cigarette flavors could result in a loss of more than 150,000 jobs and a direct sales hit of $8.4 billion, according to a report released on Friday by a vaping industry trade group "

At Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-vaping/ban-on-flavored-vapes-could-lead-to-loss-of-150000-jobs-8-4-billion-sales-hit-report-idUKKBN1XW20K

Update:

"As of November 20, 2019, 2,290* cases of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI) have been reported to CDC from 49 states (all except Alaska), the District of Columbia, and 2 U.S. territories (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands).

"Forty-seven deaths have been confirmed in 25 states and the District of Columbia (as of November 20, 2019)."

At the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

i found having a heart attack really helped me quit smoking but i suppose its the recommended  way its alot easier not to vape or smoke

• Like 2

Vaping is safe with a few caveats. 

Don't buy bargain basement juice or loaded disposable vape pens.

Only buy Canadian or US certified vape juice or loaded disposable vaping pens.

Don't be a cloud vaper. Start small til you reach your happy point. Constantly blowing huge clouds can cause a condition called popcorn lung. Very nasty.

Popcorn lung, or bronchiolitis obliterans, is an inflammatory condition that affects the bronchioles, tiny airways in the lungs. The name is in reference to former microwave-popcorn factory workers who developed bronchiolitis obliterans after breathing in vapor from butter flavoring added to the popcorn.2 days ago
image.png.acaf05f78bdd432e6ccdea643ab914e0.png
https://www.cnn.com › health › pop...

The same caveats applies for vaping cannabis/juice combos. Buy well known brand name products.

Vaping thc concentrate is much safer as it's 100 percent cannabis. But beware, concentrate is exactly what it says. Start with a few small puffs, then wait 5 min. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

The safest vaping method is vaping buds. Hands down. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Thanks 1