Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real-life warp drive may actually be possible

UM-Bot

13 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Make it so.

Frank Herbert was the first one to come up with "folding space" in his Dune novels.

.......I should know better than to look at your avatar and eat....I almost choked to death on a Cheerio....... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

After watching so many SciFi movies and tv shows, this is pretty amazing to think scientists may have figured this out.  Other inventions have been based on these shows, why not a space propulsion system?

• Like 3

A lot of things that are common today were SciFi in the past. Just think about the movie METROPOLIS by Fritz Lang/architecture+visual telephone, Aldus Huxlex/genetic engineering, Georg Orwell/total monitoring, Jules Verne/Moon landing, Arthur C. Clarke/satellites, just to name a few.

• Like 6

Watch, we'll figure this out just in time to move all the wealthy off-world, and the regular folks will be stuck with the mess made of earth.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, macrev said:

But what happens if a planet is in its way? Does the whole planet get warped?

Isaac Asimov wrote of a 'jump drive' that used what amounted to folded space for interstellar travel. This first appeared in a 1942 short story that was later made part of his Foundation Trilogy. He had such problems in mind. He wrote that very careful calculations had to be made to avoid returning to normal space inside a star. Emerging inside a planet could also ruin an interstellar voyage, it seems.    

• Like 3

Space exploration would advance ten-fold if this could be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, bison said:

Isaac Asimov wrote of a 'jump drive' that used what amounted to folded space for interstellar travel. This first appeared in a 1942 short story that was later made part of his Foundation Trilogy. He had such problems in mind. He wrote that very careful calculations had to be made to avoid returning to normal space inside a star. Emerging inside a planet could also ruin an interstellar voyage, it seems.    

And a warp bubble might have a "aftershock" which would ruin everybody's day on the planet your approaching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Watch, we'll figure this out just in time to move all the wealthy off-world, and the regular folks will be stuck with the mess made of earth.

Dam dude :rolleyes: lol

Does your mind always go to the most negative aspect? 

• Like 1

there is no possibility of warp drive...there is no possibility of even reaching any remote speed like that of light....in order to travel at the speed of light...one must be...light.

2 hours ago, MegaGNR25 said:

This along the lines of what bob Lazar was saying and the kind of tricks then ufos the baby's been seeing is using I would think.

Bob Lazar is a liar.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Robert_Lazar

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

there is no possibility of warp drive...there is no possibility of even reaching any remote speed like that of light....in order to travel at the speed of light...one must be...light.

That is correct by today's standards, but folding space time as outlined in Ensteines theories of both General and Special relativity may be possible. The process is known as a Wormhole, according to Enstein this may be possible, with the ability to create a Wormhole who needs Warp Drive. Even though the possibility of Warp Drive is looking more possible every year.

Edited by Manwon Lender

10 hours ago, Piney said:

And a warp bubble might have a "aftershock" which would ruin everybody's day on the planet your approaching.

hmmm on that I read a sci fi series.. cannot remember what it was called now.. they had that in there for the same reason.. you could only jump from outside the solar system.. insystem you used a different propulsion drive.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Even though the possibility of Warp Drive is looking more possible every year.

The possibility of Warp Drive is a Sci Fi dream that has no actual bearing on anything anyone in today's Space Race is actually doing.  It will never happen.  It cannot happen.  It's a Sci Fi fantasy...nothing more...nothing less.

Interesting, I heard such a drive would allow us to get to Alpha Centauri, which is 4 light years away, within weeks.  I wonder if people in the craft would get affected by radiation, gamma rays and flying particles and objects or the bubble would keep the events in space it's warping distant?

11 hours ago, joc said:

The possibility of Warp Drive is a Sci Fi dream that has no actual bearing on anything anyone in today's Space Race is actually doing.  It will never happen.  It cannot happen.  It's a Sci Fi fantasy...nothing more...nothing less.

Said my grandmother when her grandmother was told man would fly to the moon one day.....

1 minute ago, Black Red Devil said:

Said my grandmother when her grandmother was told man would fly to the moon one day.....

The difference is flying to the Moon moon was scientifically possible. JFK knew that and he knew that if we didn't do it first the Russians would. Warp drive is not scientifically possible it's purely science fiction.

3 minutes ago, joc said:

The difference is flying to the Moon moon was scientifically possible. JFK knew that and he knew that if we didn't do it first the Russians would. Warp drive is not scientifically possible it's purely science fiction.

People in the 18th and 19th centuries (and obviously earlier) thought it was impossible for man to fly.  Fullstop.  So I doubt they were talking about going to the moon.  Also, do you have a degree in physics? Because we have an article here that suggests,

However, in recent years, the scientific community has become understandably excited and skeptical about claims that a particular concept – the Alcubierre Warp Drive – might actually be feasible.

Which basically means it's not totally regarded as impossible by scientists although there are the skeptics.

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

People in the 18th and 19th centuries (and obviously earlier) thought it was impossible for man to fly.  Fullstop.  So I doubt they were talking about going to the moon.  Also, do you have a degree in physics? Because we have an article here that suggests,

However, in recent years, the scientific community has become understandably excited and skeptical about claims that a particular concept – the Alcubierre Warp Drive – might actually be feasible.

Which basically means it's not totally regarded as impossible by scientists although there are the skeptics.

And I am one!  When we reach 100,000 miles per hour....then talk to me about reaching 186,200 miles per second.