Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Moon: a 'fishing net' for alien life ?

UM-Bot

Why not :) sounds better to me than the stories of flying discs filled with probies. 

• Like 1

Forget about the monolith: I want us to find a transformers ship - the Arc, was it? - on the dark side a la Transformers: Dark of the Moon. :D

• Haha 2

ill take pink Floyd

• Like 1

Remember what I said about people being egocentric and thinking that all intelligent alien life forms harbor supreme interest at getting close to the humans of planet earth above all others? This is a prime example right here.

There are some 193 moons in out solar system. and there are some 200 billion more solar systems in the Milky Way.

But Lo and Behold... it is *the* moon around incredible planet earth that all intelligent life forms in our galaxy are interested in.

And he's from Harvard?  Save us, Lord!

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

We're much closer to being able to explore the Moon's surface with sufficient care to find extraterrestrial life and artifacts, than is the case for any other moon in our solar system. Besides that, Earth's Moon is in the top five moons by size, giving it a higher chance of colliding with ET remains than most moons. Two of those five moons and very geologically active, and could easily destroy or bury evidence of extraterrestrials.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Remember what I said about people being egocentric and thinking that all intelligent alien life forms harbor supreme interest at getting close to the humans of planet earth above all others? This is a prime example right here.

There are some 193 moons in out solar system. and there are some 200 billion more solar systems in the Milky Way.

But Lo and Behold... it is *the* moon around incredible planet earth that all intelligent life forms in our galaxy are interested in.

While I do think it's egotistical to assume aliens would be interested in us, I also think it's not egotistical to assume they'd be interested in the only planet in our solar system that has liquid water on its surface. Even assuming they are machine intelligences that have moved beyond physical bodies, they'd still have records of when they themselves were once simple living things that probably required water to live and evolve. Sure, it might be possible for intelligent life to evolve totally without water, but that seems unlikely at best based on what we do know of biology. Could they live without water? Sure, as living AI. But again, they'd know liquid water was once key to their development and survival.

Why project egotism or narcissism into the argument? It's just emotive. 

Name an organism that is not studied because it's not interesting enough.

14 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Actually he never stated anything such thing. Also your claim that "people being egocentric and thinking that all intelligent alien life forms harbor supreme interest at getting close to the humans of planet earth above all others" is another of your baloney stories which is unrelated to reality.

These odd claims of yours are devoid of any rational connection to the ideas being presented.

10 hours ago, Seti42 said:

While I do think it's egotistical to assume aliens would be interested in us, I also think it's not egotistical to assume they'd be interested in the only planet in our solar system that has liquid water on its surface.

As opposed to all others in our solar system, sure, planet earth is the apple in their eye. Then we consider about 800 billion other planets. Hmmm.

10 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Even assuming they are machine intelligences that have moved beyond physical bodies, they'd still have records of when they themselves were once simple living things that probably required water to live and evolve. Sure, it might be possible for intelligent life to evolve totally without water, but that seems unlikely at best based on what we do know of biology. Could they live without water? Sure, as living AI. But again, they'd know liquid water was once key to their development and survival.

It appears you suspect that they may have resided on the moon at some point. 

Well, maybe. But I kinda' doubt it. 

10 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Why project egotism or narcissism into the argument? It's just emotive. 

Name an organism that is not studied because it's not interesting enough.

Well, I'm not trying to infer that there would be zero interest, but we would hardly be the reason why beings traveled 20K ly just to view or study.

And let's not forget, too, GD, *we* humans study. Intelligent beings likely know it all. LOL. In their billions of years history, I'm sure they no longer have to study simple life forms. Just an opinion

• Confused 1

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

As opposed to all others in our solar system, sure, planet earth is the apple in their eye. Then we consider about 800 billion other planets. Hmmm.

It appears you suspect that they may have resided on the moon at some point. 

Well, maybe. But I kinda' doubt it. 

What does 800 billion other planet have to do with anything?  It seems to be a number tossed out that has zero concern for the topic of this thread.

Please tell us if you did come to this star system which moons you would choose to use?

After that please tell us why we as humans would skip past the Moon as a potential repository of items from outside of our solar system.

• Like 2

I agree with this man:

If your ego starts out, 'I am important, I am big, I am special,' you're in for some disappointments when you look around at what we've discovered about the universe. No, you're not big. No, you're not. You're small in time and in space. And you have this frail vessel called the human body that's limited on Earth.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tyson tells it like it is :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I agree with this man:

Tyson tells it like it is :rolleyes:

I see so not only is this 800 billion moons off topic, but the quote from Tyson is off topic.

If you want to be on topic you could us the following:

Please tell us if you did come to this star system which moons you would choose to use?

After that please tell us why we as humans would skip past the Moon as a potential repository of items from outside of our solar system.

• Like 2

Let's look at some facts...

There are 193  moons in our solar system and there are 200 billion solar systems in the MW galaxy, with likely trillions of moons.
Yet somehow, we humans think that *the* moon is the moon of choice for Aliens to stash some goodies. :(

The Moon: a 'fishing net' for alien life ?

"fishing net". Something tells me the human critters of planet earth have themselves on the brain a lot more than the aliens do!    lol

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

6 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

There are 193  moons in our solar system and there are 200 billion solar systems in the MW galaxy, with likely trillions of moons.
Yet somehow, we humans think that *the* moon is the moon of choice for Aliens to stash some goodies. :(

It's the most likely place in this solar system.  Yes.    For obvious reasons (you may not find them obvious, but then you're not a highly intelligent alien probe looking for life in the universe)

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

"fishing net". Something tells me the human critters of planet earth have themselves on the brain a lot more than the aliens do!    lol

That is not what the article suggests. You really should read what was written and then address those issues and not some off topic straw man argument.

If you want to be on topic you could us the following:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

It's the most likely place in this solar system.  Yes.    For obvious reasons (you may not find them obvious, but then you're not a highly intelligent alien probe looking for life in the universe)

How can you be sure that Alien intelligent life is looking for life in the Universe?  They might be but, consider this:

If Alien life exists in this galaxy, and I think it does, they may have been around for billions of years. If that is the case, I should think their fascination with intelligent life in this galaxy has been sated eons ago.

Again, your view here mirrors what *we* would do in their position. IOW, "egocentric".

A question that was recently discussed on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing was the state of the American flag. The flag was not placed to claim territory because international agreement forbids it. The flag was a symbol of humanity's ability to strive and do what seems the impossible. Thousands of years ago pyramids were built. Fifty years ago the first human stepped onto the Moon. That symbol of human endeavor, the flag, is probably long gone. The colors were quickly faded by UV unfiltered through atmosphere. The nylon flag bought at a store would not have withstood the rigors of solar radiation and probably is near dust b t he lunar surface. It might even have been knocked over as the LEM safely returned the astronauts to the command module. But the metal will be there.

The Moon missions left lots of metal and even a car on the surface. Any ceramics and metal would be on the Moon for a long time. The tracks of the men that walked there are visible in the high resolution mapping images made by all sorts of countries. Maybe, just maybe some dropped piece of debris from some aliens fell to the Moon surface and will one day be found telling all of us that some time in the last few billion years others were in this part of the galaxy.

If we think along the lines of the Fermi paradox we might wonder if there have been probes that came here, is it possible that they went to a spot not with life?

Our craft are very careful not to pollute other parts of our solar system with Earth based microbes.

• Like 1

One of the ideas for exploration is to build a probe that travels to another star system. Once there it replicates itself and sends more copies to other star systems.

The probes continue to extend out across the galaxy covering star system after star system.

We seem to be only a short time away from such a project. If we don't care when we get the answers in this pan-galactic endeavor then we could ship out the first probe within a century.

Let's suppose some alien culture did this. Where is it? Maybe it is out there and on some place in the solar system. If I were to look I'd start with the Moon. It is closest.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

To be fair on Abraham Loeb, he never actually does what you say. He never said that aliens have purposefully come to the moon, landed there, then looked at humans and Earth. He is stating because the moon has been around for billions of years, has no geological activity and other factors, that anything that just happened to be 'passing through' and accidentally collided (be it trash, a damaged probe or so on) then looking for it on the Moon would be a good place to look. As whilst Mars, other moons and Earth might be larger or easier to check (in the case of the Earth) a lot of them have geological activity or other factors that would make the chance of them surviving to be easily picked up by humans more remote. Also, due to the size of the moon plus all the other activity, it is within humanities scope to explore and check.

So, again, Abraham Loeb is not stating anything out of egotism, he is stating that out of all the options you could choose to look for alien artefacts from another galaxy, the moon is probably one of the best (and easiest) to check.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not necessarily. The moon facilitates a cosmically rare event in the form of perfect eclipses, viewable from Earth's surface. We may be listed in a galactic The Hitchhiker's Guide to Extremely Rare Phenomena. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not necessarily. The moon facilitates a cosmically rare event in the form of perfect eclipses, viewable from Earth's surface. We may be listed in a galactic The Hitchhiker's Guide to Extremely Rare Phenomena. 

Like a galactic Kanyakumari

• Like 2