Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hangovers are an 'illness', rules Court

Eldorado

"A German court has ruled hangovers are an "illness", in a case against the maker of an anti-hangover drink.

"The firm was taken to court in Frankfurt after being accused of making illegal health claims about its anti-hangover shots and drinks powders.

"In its ruling, the court said illnesses included even small or temporary changes to the body's normal state.

"Food products, including drinks, cannot be marketed as being able to prevent or treat illnesses, it added."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49802749

And at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/24/europe/german-court-hangover-disease-wellness-trnd/index.html

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

There's an even easier cure for this.  One could always try not drinking, so they don't get hangovers.  :mellow:

Works for me. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You mean there was ever any doubt?  They sure seemed like legitimate illness to me :w00t:  Seriously though, being an alcoholic of the real kind, I rarely had one.  More's the pity :( 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, and then said:

Seriously though, being an alcoholic of the real kind, I rarely had one.  More's the pity :( 

I wish is could dedicate that much time to anything 

1 hour ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Cannabis. Screw alcohol and everything about it. 

Allergic as Hell to it myself. But if your gonna pick a poison, that's a better option. :yes:

• Like 3

Brandy doesn't give me a hangover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Allergic as Hell to it myself. But if your gonna pick a poison, that's a better option. :yes:

Yeah, so am I. Funny, to have that in common, too :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Looks like there are more of us than I thought that are allergic to weed... I can't even be in a room where it is being smoked... Most people (from what I am told) are allergic to the "oils" in it, but for me the smoke is enough to close off my windpipe - Lord help me if I get the oils in me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So no food, or drink, can claim to help any illness... at all?

Gluten free food comes to mind. As well as products with no tree nuts.

Eating vegan, or any one of dozens of other diets, are supposed to provide various benefits. Can we sue now if they make any claims at all??

3 hours ago, acute said:

I am planning to be very ill tomorrow.

Yep, and I'll be ill on Sunday icon_drunk.gif

• Like 1

I was sick, numb, or  semi to Un concious for 20+ years.   I miss it      :lol:

WHISKEY 

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Brandy doesn't give me a hangover.

Not me either,,, She is very friendly

• Haha 3

Just now, Herr Falukorv said:

Not me either,,, She is very friendly

Yeah, warm and sweet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bella-Angelique said:

So much for toothpaste and antiperspirants. Banned.        :w00t:

I'm not sure if you missed it, but it specifically states that 'Food And Drink' cannot claim to improve your health. Toothpaste and antiperspirants, to the best of my knowledge, are not 'Food And Drink'.

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

So no food, or drink, can claim to help any illness... at all?

Gluten free food comes to mind. As well as products with no tree nuts.

Eating vegan, or any one of dozens of other diets, are supposed to provide various benefits. Can we sue now if they make any claims at all??

I would assume, but am not sure, that as long as the packaging of the 'vegan food' or whatever does not say 'Will improve your health and you won't get cancer' or so on, it is fine. So, no, you can't sue. The reason this was a case is they claimed that drinking the product would cure their hangover. The company then would have said 'Well, hangover isn't an illness, so your law doesn't apply' at which point they went 'Okay, hangover is an illness, so tough luck'. If a dietician says 'Vegan diet is healthier' that's fine, because it isn't on the packaging. So, if you can find one with a claim on a packaging, then you can do something. Obviously would only apply in Germany. Pretty sure USA will have different laws (and I think have anti-hangover products too).

Edited by Troublehalf
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Troublehalf said:

I'm not sure if you missed it, but it specifically states that 'Food And Drink' cannot claim to improve your health. Toothpaste and antiperspirants, to the best of my knowledge, are not 'Food And Drink'.

Oh I did not miss it. THIS - "In its ruling, the court said illnesses included even small or temporary changes to the body's normal state."

That is called setting Legal Precedent  and all attorneys around the world use it when their courts make it.  Get the joke now?

Perhaps a step in the right direction bringing some visibility. WHO estimates that as of 2010 there were 208 million people with alcoholism worldwide  or 4.1% of the population over 15 years of age. Consider too, that alcoholism is a risk factor for suicide.