Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Take a look inside Chernobyl's reactor No. 4

Vox

Interesting. Do all the missing keys and gauges mean that vandals/loot hunters have been there beforehand? If so, I thought the place was guarded (in addition to the radioactive threat - or whatever is left of it).

• Like 1

freetoroam

Yep, not much salvable in there. Even suited up I would not like to be in there. 

freetoroam
8 minutes ago, Vox said:

Interesting. Do all the missing keys and gauges mean that vandals/loot hunters have been there beforehand? If so, I thought the place was guarded (in addition to the radioactive threat - or whatever is left of it).

I doubt any looters would risk entering there, they would not have much time to sell anything

It can be hard to predict the impact of radiation on humans but around half of all those exposed to 5 sieverts will die from it. Almost all who receive a dose of 10 sieverts will die within weeks.

Vox

But why are the gauges and other things missing then?  Genuine question.

• Like 1

Kiltedmusician

I could imagine some of the technology being expensive and maybe the authorities had some of it reclaimed to secretly put back into service if it wasn�t too radioactive.
Or they could be removing valuable materials to keep people from looting and spreading contamination.
Or it could be the tour guides taking souvenirs to sell on the black market.

• Like 1

DieChecker

I'd imagine if it is safe for reporters, then state engineers have been in there quite a while and picked out the better equipment for reuse.

Not sure how radioactive the control room would be. Might be a lot less then even out in the countryside, depending on the walls and if sealed good.

• Thanks 1

ThereWeAreThen
On 9/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, freetoroam said:

I doubt any looters would risk entering there, they would not have much time to sell anything

Are you really doubting the stupidity our species is capable of?

• Haha 1

freetoroam
44 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Are you really doubting the stupidity our species is capable of?

You make a good point. 

They are out there

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-35785834