Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
The Caspian Hare

Turkey plans to occupy northeast Syria

The Caspian Hare

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Turkey-plans-to-occupy-northeast-Syria-with-27-billion-program-603250

In its latest stunt apparently designed to encourage refugees to believe that Turkey will provide them housing that is nicer than what most people in Turkey have, Turkey has floated the idea of a $27 billion program for taking over part of northeast Syria. Calling this a “safe zone,” Turkey says that its security concerns give it a right to occupy part of Syria. Ankara has talked up the “safe zone”  for months, but only now has it floated an ambitious settlement program for 1 million Syrians with modern housing that is the largest of its sort in history. Iran’s Press TV, apparently representing the view of Iran’s government, argues that the plan means “carving out a patch of land in the Arab country for itself.”

Turkish Presidency unveils details of safe zone rebuilding/repatriation project which envisions the return of 1mn Syrian refugees. The Project includes residential, hospital, police, government and school buildings. I will post more details in this thread. pic.twitter.com/mN3CHXOnJx

— Yusuf Erim (@YusufErim79) September 27, 2019

Ankara’s latest proposal is the building of 200,000 homes for more than 1 million Syrian refugees who currently reside in Turkey. Many of these refugees are from areas such as Aleppo, but Turkey doesn’t want to let them move back to areas closer to home, such as near Jarabulus or Idlib Province. Turkey wants to funnel them into an area along the northeastern border of the country where the US and the Syrian Democratic Forces are present. It’s goal is to demographically change the area from a historically Kurdish region, to one housing Turkish-supported Arab refugees in settlement-style towns, unconnected to the indigenous people and dependent on Turkey for support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney

"Buffer state" and a cheap militia if they need it. 

zygote

I see a bad moon rising. I see trouble on the way.

• Like 1

Piney
45 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

I see a bad moon rising. I see trouble on the way.

Erdogan wants the return of the Ottoman Empire. :hmm:

• Like 1

Earl.Of.Trumps

"Syria is too close to our borders"  SCOFF.  NEXT!

"Syria is too close to *our* safe zone". SCOFF.
---------------

Now imagine if Mutha' Russia did that 

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps