Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China's Female Emperor

SHaYap

A nice Timeline documentary about ancient China's first female emperor 

[00.48:02]

A wonderfully balanced look back on ancient China without the common biased baggage tainted with politics. 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, third_eye said:

A nice Timeline documentary about ancient China's first female emperor 

A wonderfully balanced look back on ancient China without the common biased baggage tainted with politics. 

~

Yeop saw it a while back, it's a very interesting and very informative documentary about a fascinating person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeop saw it a while back, it's a very interesting and very informative documentary about a fascinating person.

The best part for me was her 'empty' stela...

Quite poignant that... 

~

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

:nw:

Out of likes.

Fu Hao was cool too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Hao

Too bad we know so little about her though, I think there's bamboo scrolls but those are not studied enough as it is too fragile for close scrutiny, also the scholars are still debating on too many things related to the Shang 

~

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Too bad we know so little about her though, I think there's bamboo scrolls but those are not studied enough as it is too fragile for close scrutiny, also the scholars are still debating on too many things related to the Shang 

The Shang is so interesting though. 

Fu Hao was also probably the first "archaeologist" considering the amount of neolithic items found in her tomb. I imagine she explored ruins and sites and visited different tribes to amass the collection they found. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Shang is so interesting though. 

Fu Hao was also probably the first "archaeologist" considering the amount of neolithic items found in her tomb. I imagine she explored ruins and sites and visited different tribes to amass the collection they found. 

She also had over a hundred weapons in her tomb.  Warrior, archaeologist, 'priestess/shaman', ...wow, Piney, she sounds like your kinda dame!  :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Wistman said:

She also had over a hundred weapons in her tomb.  Warrior, archaeologist, 'priestess/shaman', ...wow, Piney, she sounds like your kinda dame!  :yes:

She was fascinating. A Shen Warrior Priestess. I was so happy to see the survival and revival of that belief system after it was realized there was no Tienming in Maoism. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

She whooped my backside in Civilization 5.

Your a Pole for Christssakes!!!! A BLOODY POLE!!!!! :unsure2:

Where were your Winged Hussars??? On holiday???? :o

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

The best part for me was her 'empty' stela...

Quite poignant that... 

~

I think I was the most fascinated by her cosmopolitan captial and when they showed from how far away her empire imported materials for jewellery and buildings :D

And of course her rise! From courtesan to Empress. Imagine Madame Pompadour had managed that.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I think I was the most fascinated by her cosmopolitan captial and when they showed from how far away her empire imported materials for jewellery and buildings :D

And of course her rise! From courtesan to Empress. Imagine Madame Pompadour had managed that.

Wasn't the Empress Theodora of Byzantium originally a courtesan? 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

There are many tales of her virtues, one of which is that the old emperor was way past his virile days when she arrived at the palace, took her in as a grandchild more than anything else, which also makes more sense in view of her clout in the palace as well as her manner of dealing with other blood related descendants of the imperial family. 

The capital may have been grander and fancier but the outskirts along the border were much much more cosmopolitan. Usually filled more with the craft guilds and smaller clans associated with apothecary.

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2