Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discussing the mysteries of the ancient world

docyabut2

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Because, as I said, it is the same old crappe, asserted again, and again, and again.

The OP of this thread continually posts the same ( literally, the exact same post! ) ad nauseum, as if countless repetitions of the same lame thought will somehow convince people of her viewpoint.

A simple google map search, or ANY oceanographic map of the Atlantic seafloor would put this fable to rest, yet countless people continue to state that an allegorical tale is "the real and true facts, for sure!", despite there being not one shred of evidentiary truth to the tale.

Not. One. Single. Fact.

Egyptologists do the same thing with Gizamids as tombs yet some members here never tire of repetively blathering on about that mediocre pile of limestone being a tomb for a pharaoh whom has not been found buried in the structure.

But again the question is if you are tired of discussing Atlantis why not simple skip the thread? I find the Lego linguistics in the Oere Linda thread to be non factual. I simply do not bother opening the thread anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cormac mac airt said:

1)  Gades/Cadiz was NEVER a country. 

2)  Since Atlantis wasn’t Spain nor Cadiz then it would have to face “the region of Gades” by being further offshore from there. 

3)  There has NEVER been an island WHERE Plato claimed Atlantis was. 

cormac

As Rupert has noted before that is because it was an inflatable island. I mean that may sound far-fetched or technically impossible but it makes perfect sense if you understood the Atlantean vast stores of fusion powered gold beater's skin with additional water resistance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Again, you don’t speak Greek, so your opinion on how Plato used his language is of virtually no value. It just makes your conclusion that much more obviously self-serving. 

—Jaylemurph 

I suppose there is only one source for understanding Plato in his original Greek, and that would be the great and wondrous wizard of UM, you, O great and only speaker of Plato's language!

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I suppose there is only one source for understanding Plato in his original Greek, and that would be the great and wondrous wizard of UM, you, O great and only speaker of Plato's language!

Several hundred people world wide can read ancient Greek fluently and many thousands less so . Oddly enough, you a person who has claimed to be Plato cannot - which i still find hilariously funny.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Because, as I said, it is the same old crappe, asserted again, and again, and again.

The OP of this thread continually posts the same ( literally, the exact same post! ) ad nauseum, as if countless repetitions of the same lame thought will somehow convince people of her viewpoint.

A simple google map search, or ANY oceanographic map of the Atlantic seafloor would put this fable to rest, yet countless people continue to state that an allegorical tale is "the real and true facts, for sure!", despite there being not one shred of evidentiary truth to the tale.

Not. One. Single. Fact.

When it comes to Plato's Atlantis the facts you do not perceive are not the ones that were/are used by the Atlantis seekers. These seekers are superficial prospectors, never digging more deeply into what Plato gave us. And the same can be said of those, like you, who do not see one single fact. The seekers claim Atlantis must exist in one way or another, and the skeptics claim it's an allegory, a fictitious account.

And it's not true that it's the same old same, as the hypotheses on Atlantis are full of a multitude of variation, as the many different proposed locations in size, place, and time evidently points out. In any event, as someone has recently pointed out to you, which is not new, participation in any discussion on Atlantis is not mandated. If you cannot stomach it, since you apparently get nausea from it, stop ingesting what upsets your stomach. 

Some here that get an upset stomach from Atlantis threads claim they are forced to such discussions, because they feel they are the sell-appointed protectors of history and champions of anti-racism. 

Considering that this great forum is full of threads that discuss Aliens, UFOs, Big Foot, lake Monsters, and what have you, in the strange, silly, and the downright ridiculous. Not to mention the never ending religious discussion trying to prove or disprove the existence of God, no less, why should discussing Plato's Atlantis be sickening to you, or to those others that complain about it? You and most of these others, willingly, and eagerly participate in those other threads, don't you, hun?     

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Damn that Plato. Couldn't he just used a parable using animals, or plants instead?

He did!

Plato's TIMAEUS.

The fourth class were the inhabitants of the water: these were made out of the
most entirely senseless and ignorant of all
, whom the transformers did not think
any longer worthy of pure respiration, because they possessed a soul which was
made impure by all sorts of transgression; and instead of the subtle and pure
medium of air, they gave them the deep and muddy sea to be their element of
respiration; and hence arose the race of fishes and oysters, and other aquatic
animals, which have received the most remote habitations as a punishment of
their outlandish ignorance.
These are the laws by which animals pass into one
another, now, as ever, changing as they lose or gain wisdom and folly.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

Would you mind citing the publication? Paywalls are not a problem. 

Thank you in advance. 

Lamb's English Translation of the Timaeus and Critias.

7 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Doc, no one denies that cities can be buried, or sink under the seas. What we deny is that Atlantis specifically does not exist. Did not exist. Never did exist. Never will exist (to cover the inevitable arrival of Pettytalk). 

You can skip studying forecasting, however, sentence structure is not to be ignored by you. The double negative in the sentence is basically saying that you are one of us, and not one of them.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

because they feel they are the sell-appointed protectors of history and champions of anti-racism. 

So what's wrong with protecting the truth?

Oh, I'm sorry. You don't know what "truth" is....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Several hundred people world wide can read ancient Greek fluently and many thousands less so . Oddly enough, you a person who has claimed to be Plato cannot - which i still find hilariously funny.

Any small child can easily be brought to laughter. And since I have not successfully, persuaded you of the possibility of my being a reincarnation of Plato, at least I can boast of having successfully, entertained you to the point of hilarity.

You are so cute, my child!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pettytalk said:

Any small child can easily be brought to laughter. And since I have not successfully, persuaded you of the possibility of my being a reincarnation of Plato, at least I can boast of having successfully, entertained you to the point of hilarity.

Show over! Take your religious "security blanket" and your constant lying somewhere else.

NEXT!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pettytalk said:

You can skip studying forecasting, however, sentence structure is not to be ignored by you. The double negative in the sentence is basically saying that you are one of us, and not one of them.

SHUSH..., you almost blew my cover. I’ve successfully infiltrated the cabal for years.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Again, you don’t speak Greek, so your opinion on how Plato used his language is of virtually no value. It just makes your conclusion that much more obviously self-serving. 

—Jaylemurph 

Will you stop the endless droning... on and on about not understanding ancient Greek when its all ready been accurately translated to the point that others can make their own assumptions and draw their own conclusions without your pesky advice and direction. You're time would be better spend reading more varied sources than closed minded intellectual clap trap that allows you little opportunity to think for yourself. This closed and empty mind of yours does you no favours and lowers the IQ level in a already struggling cabal to the point its painful reading you all back slap each other endlessly with empty and meaningly high fives and congratulations about subjects you have no really understanding of...lol

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

SHUSH..., you almost blew my cover. I’ve successfully infiltrated the cabal for years.

It was purely accidental, and you have my apologies. But I would have never figured out that you are a double agent.

Well! Welcome onboard my fellow Atlantoidiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Will you stop the endless droning... on and on about not understanding ancient Greek when its all ready been accurately translated to the point that others can make their own assumptions and draw their own conclusions. You're time would be better spend reading more varied sources than closed minded intellectual clap trap. This closed and empty mind of yours does you no favours and lowers the IQ level in a already struggling cabal to the point its painful reading you all back slap each other endlessly with empty and meaningly high fives and congratulations...lol

Notice how he keeps reminding the readers here, indirectly, of his great talents? And yet jaylemurph refused to accept the earlier challenge posed to him by Atalante, on ancient Greek used by Plato. I would have paid the big bucks for seating in the front row, to watch and listen to this great scholar of languages....Atalante, I mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, docyabut2 said:

Plato wrote about  Atlantis at around 300bc,  300bc was 2316 years ago.

Just a note to ask you to please avoid starting a lot of separate threads on Atlantis - it's best to keep it to the one (this) thread.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Sometimes it takes explaining what the actual studies have concluded, which was why I was hoping there was a link specifically negating the 2300 BP New York tsunami claim

cormac

Not sure it's been specifically rebuked, rather it was never accepted in the first place

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/30/nyregion/30tsunami.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

You are so cute, my child!

Taking a stance which is without basis is a fine way to establish that you have no credibility - so at least you've accomplished that. Pretending to change the meaning of a language you cannot speak is also a sign of intellectual incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Taking a stance which is without basis is a fine way to establish that you have no credibility - so at least you've accomplished that. Pretending to change the meaning of a language you cannot speak is also a sign of intellectual incompetence.

Here you go, a present for rupert, And please don't fight over it. 

I rather doubt you are at an intellectual level to be able to grasp the nuances in the following excerpt from Plato's Apology. But we do have others who look in on us, and it's for them, and not for replying to your charges, which are baseless charges generated by you.

Then I went to one man after another, being not unconscious of the enmity
which I provoked, and I lamented and feared this: but necessity was laid upon
me,–the word of God, I thought, ought to be considered first. And I said to
myself, Go I must to all who appear to know, and find out the meaning of the
oracle. And I swear to you, Athenians, by the dog I swear! –for I must tell
you the truth–the result of my mission was just this: I found that the men
most in repute were all but the most foolish; and that others less esteemed were
really wiser and better. I will tell you the tale of my wanderings and of the
’Herculean’ labours, as I may call them, which I endured only to find at last the
oracle irrefutable. After the politicians, I went to the poets; tragic, dithyrambic,
and all sorts. And there, I said to myself, you will be instantly detected; now
you will find out that you are more ignorant than they are. Accordingly, I took
them some of the most elaborate passages in their own writings, and asked what
was the meaning of them–thinking that they would teach me something. Will
you believe me? I am almost ashamed to confess the truth, but I must say that
there is hardly a person present who would not have talked better about their
poetry than they did themselves.

baby rattler.jpg

• Confused 1

I rather doubt you are at an intellectual level to be able to grasp the nuances in the following excerpt from Plato's Apology.

Self projecting....AGAIN!!!! 

But we do have others who look in on us, and it's for them, and not for replying to your charges, which are baseless charges generated by you.

So there is somebody who actually believes you? 

There is nothing baseless about his charges.

You don't speak Greek which leans towards the Indo-Iranian end of the PIE spectrum, therefore having nuances you don't understand. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Here you go, a present for rupert, And please don't fight over it. 

I rather doubt you are at an intellectual level to be able to grasp the nuances in the following excerpt from Plato's Apology. But we do have others who look in on us, and it's for them, and not for replying to your charges, which are baseless charges generated by you.

I rather doubt you are at an intellectual level to grasp the following:

Taking a stance which is without basis is a fine way to establish that you have no credibility - so at least you've accomplished that. Pretending to change the meaning of a language you cannot speak is also a sign of GROSS intellectual incompetence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I rather doubt you are at an intellectual level to grasp the following:

Taking a stance which is without basis is a fine way to establish that you have no credibility - so at least you've accomplished that. Pretending to change the meaning of a language you cannot speak is also a sign of GROSS intellectual incompetence.

You can grasp the concept because your bilingual and speak Nihonjin.  He's not, and I have argued the same idea with many people who only speak American English and they can't grasp the concept of "nuances" either.

I just watched this the other day and was about to PM @jaylemurph about it.  The Northern English (Bronte Country) dialect I speak is a remnant of Middle English and is not intelligible to a American.

I wondered if this was the same situation. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

always respected Mario D  his theory of Green land, on  the Atlantis rising magazine .  but do you respect all those researchers members  of Atlantis, rising   I do , name them all  that I have talked with them  ")  

No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Piney said:

You can grasp the concept because your bilingual and speak Nihonjin.  He's not, and I have argued the same idea with many people who only speak American English and they can't grasp the concept of "nuances" either.

I just watched this the other day and was about to PM @jaylemurph about it.  The Northern English (Bronte Country) dialect I speak is a remnant of Middle English and is not intelligible to a American.

I wondered if this was the same situation. 

Just a bit of Japanese and I studied German at College (for an archaeology degree then you had to take French or German because so much of the literature was still in those languages), useful when I worked in Germany too for a few years thou.

Pick up bits and pieces of the various Mayan dialects still spoken in Yucatan while working there and of course crude Arabic and not so crude Arabic business jargon during the decades teaching in the Middle-East. The hardest  language chore was to wipe away the Hawaiian accents in my American - that took about 3 years. Lately I've learn to write books in 1830's Manc - tainted with Danish - English for my hobby. Interesting link to that bit about the Greek. When I was doing excavation work on Cyprus there were some interesting variations in the languages within the various villages when we did ground survey around and in them. Most of the team was British

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1