Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man shoots burglar then goes back to bed

BrooklynGuy

He should just be charged with littering.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Every post above me is pretty messed up. The reason I don’t own a gun is because I don’t own anything worth killing someone over. I wonder what’s in that shed that was worth more than a human life? I suppose he just considers it a matter of principle. Messed up principals

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Dallas man fatally shoots suspected burglar — then goes back to bed

A Dallas man fatally shot a suspected burglar outside his home — then went back to bed before calling cops, a report said. James Michael Meyer, 72, even waited for his wife to call a lawyer before reporting the incident to police several hours after the shooting, according to the Dallas Morning News. Meyer told police he woke up to a noise outside his Old East Dallas home at around 5 a.m. Thursday, and looked out the window to see someone trying to break into his storage shed.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2019/09/30/dallas-man-fatally-shoots-suspected-burglar-then-goes-back-to-bed/

That old man is going to jail.  In Dallas it is ok to shoot a burglar when they are inside your house, but outside, even if they are caught breaking a window or what ever you are just supposed to call the police, if you do anything else you are the one who goes to jail.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Every post above me is pretty messed up. The reason I don’t own a gun is because I don’t own anything worth killing someone over. I wonder what’s in that shed that was worth more than a human life? I suppose he just considers it a matter of principle. Messed up principals

How about if you knew someone was going to kill you, and the only way to preserve your life is to kill them? Would you let them kill you?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That old man is going to jail.  In Dallas it is ok to shoot a burglar when they are inside your house, but outside, even if they are caught breaking a window or what ever you are just supposed to call the police, if you do anything else you are the one who goes to jail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

The Dallas story says the man was charged with murder.  The fact that he did not call the police will especially keep him from using the Joe Horton defense.  He was wrong and probably knew the law. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The Dallas story says the man was charged with murder.  The fact that he did not call the police will especially keep him from using the Joe Horton defense.  He was wrong and probably knew the law. 

Yes the Dallas man screwed the pooch.

I wonder what the lawyer told him before he called the police?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

How about if you knew someone was going to kill you, and the only way to preserve your life is to kill them? Would you let them kill you?

How they gonna kill you breaking into a shed in your back yard?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

How they gonna kill you breaking into a shed in your back yard?

Answer my question.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Answer my question.

Fine.  If he is breaking into your house you can assume your life is in danger and use deadly force.  If he's breaking into your property outside your house you may not make that assumption and may not kill him.  The law is the same here.  

What he should have done was break his back door, drag the guy into the house and hose all the blood stains away in the yard, then call the cops.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Fine.  If he is breaking into your house you can assume your life is in danger and use deadly force.  If he's breaking into your property outside your house you may not make that assumption and may not kill him.  The law is the same here.  

What he should have done was break his back door, drag the guy into the house and hose all the blood stains away in the yard, then call the cops.

Would you kill someone to preserve your life if they were going to kill you?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Would you kill someone to preserve your life if they were going to kill you?

Yes.  That's not the case in this thread though.  This guy was in no danger.  If he had even made the guy aware he was there he probably would have ran away.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

Yes the Dallas man screwed the pooch.

I wonder what the lawyer told him before he called the police?

Probably told him to call the police.  It is obvious the man (based on the neighborhood mentioned) has a lot of money.  The trial will probably drag out because he can afford a good lawyer.

• Like 1

Yes.  That's not the case in this thread though.  This guy was in no danger.  If he had even made the guy aware he was there he probably would have ran away.

Thanks.

The guy should have just called the police.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

The story says the guy did run away, or the shooter thought he did and fired one more shot at him for good measure before he went back to bed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

Probably told him to call the police. 

Besides that. I guess the lawyer said nothing about retrieving the casings from the trash? :O

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is obvious the man (based on the neighborhood mentioned) has a lot of money.  The trial will probably drag out because he can afford a good lawyer.

Probably. Senile defense. LOL!

• Like 1

Honestly, I was waiting for the good guy with gun shoots bad guy argument that didn't come up, surprisingly, I must admit. 

~

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Honestly, I was waiting for the good guy with gun shoots bad guy argument that didn't come up, surprisingly, I must admit. 

~

He wasn't a good guy with a gun, he shot someone illegally and killed him.  The story did not say whether the burglar was armed or not. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

He wasn't a good guy with a gun, he shot someone illegally and killed him.  The story did not say whether the burglar was armed or 

The courts will decide if he was a good guy with a gun, or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

The courts will decide if he was a good guy with a gun, or not.

No, the courts will decide whether he was guilty of murder or not.  The courts don't care about whether he was a good guy or not.

• Like 2

Thieving pikey shouldn't have tried to steal other people's property 

Edited by Matt221
  • Like 3