Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man shoots burglar then goes back to bed

BrooklynGuy

22 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, the courts will decide whether he was guilty of murder or not.  The courts don't care about whether he was a good guy or not.

You're right. Courts sometimes send good people to jail, but most of the time they send the bad.

:D

• Like 1

Here you would be charged with man slaughter if the burglar was killed in defense inside your home. Which is kind of stupid since if the burglar get caught in your home they wont think twice about killing you. I have the skills to beat any burglar into a pulp (if im home that is) 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Here you would be charged with man slaughter if the burglar was killed in defense inside your home. Which is kind of stupid since if the burglar get caught in your home they wont think twice about killing you. I have the skills to beat any burglar into a pulp (if im home that is) 

In the vast majority of civilised countries if you kill someone you will have to face court charged with the death of that person, cos you caused their death.  

If all is above board the court will rule it a justifiable homicide.

If you kill someone, there has to be consequence, there must be, the police don’t just show up and then let you off because the deceased was robbing you.

Even police who kill someone in the line of duty must be cleared.

And your assumption that all burglars are willing and ready to kill is dangerous.  The vast majority of burglars when discovered will run.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

How about if you knew someone was going to kill you, and the only way to preserve your life is to kill them? Would you let them kill you?

In this particular case the shooter had time to call the police. The intruder was not entering his house, he was trying to get into the storage shed. Was there really a need to kill him? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Grey Area said:

In the vast majority of civilised countries if you kill someone you will have to face court charged with the death of that person, cos you caused their death.  

If all is above board the court will rule it a justifiable homicide.

If you kill someone, there has to be consequence, there must be, the police don’t just show up and then let you off because the deceased was robbing you.

Even police who kill someone in the line of duty must be cleared.

And your assumption that all burglars are willing and ready to kill is dangerous.  The vast majority of burglars when discovered will run.

Not if you meet the burglar in the stairs at your home. Your home is where you should feel safe if someone breaks in and threaten your family they have to face the consequence. Im not saying that you have to kill the intruder i (would sort of solve the problem) .  :-) 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

Not if you meet the burglar in the stairs at your home. Your home is where you should feel safe if someone breaks in and threaten your family they have to face the consequence. Im not saying that you have to kill the intruder i (would sort of solve the problem) .  :-) 

In the U.S. it depends on state and local law.  In some states if the burglar is not armed you cannot shoot him, you could push him down the stairs but you could not harm him with a weapon.  In some states you are allowed to shoot anyone invading your house (like Texas and maybe Missouri ? not sure).  In New Mexico, you can use a comparable weapon to the one the intruder has.  Some counties will allow shooting someone in your house but you have to prove without a doubt that you were in fear for your life.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Impedancer said:

You are missing the point though.  Regardless of the circumstance, if you kill someone there will be an investigation and a court will likely determine how lawful the killing was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, freetoroam said:

In this particular case the shooter had time to call the police. The intruder was not entering his house, he was trying to get into the storage shed. Was there really a need to kill him? 

I never said there was a need to kill the burglar. 

In a state like Texas you would think burglars would do their business elsewhere. Texans don't mess around.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 5:28 PM, Grey Area said:

You are missing the point though.  Regardless of the circumstance, if you kill someone there will be an investigation and a court will likely determine how lawful the killing was.

Not always. There have been lots of cases, during a home invasion, where the homeowner defended themselves, killed the perp and was never even brought in for questioning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

I never said there was a need to kill the burglar. 

In a state like Texas you would think burglars would do their business elsewhere. Texans don't mess around.

I do not agree with the burglar being killed and find it very strange for anyone to shoot someone and just leave the body there for hours. 

What if the burglar was not dead at first? I believe in justice, but as Oversword pointed out:

On 9/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, OverSword said:

I wonder what’s in that shed that was worth more than a human life?

I think calling the police would have been the best option, you can not just shoot someone dead when they are not putting your life at risk. 

This is a barbaric shooting, but I would like to know what was in that shed.

• Like 4

Can i just mention the defending your home bit.

The intruder was NOT entering the guys house in this particular case, so surely the law will not be the same here? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Michelle said:

Not always. There have been lots of cases, during a home invasion, where the homeowner defended themselves, killed the perp and was never even brought in for questioning.

That would be a police decision then. I am taking it that the police had attended the premises, hence why it is known. 

So what happens, an alleged burglar enters someones house, the owner shoots them dead, the police turn up and accepts the word of the owner there and then, the police then   gets the body removed and off they go? 

I put alleged burglar because if the shooter is not going to be brought in for questioning,  this is a very good excuse for shooting someone dead, just say they were burgling your home and the police will accept it, you do not even have to put your coat on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

So how do the police know it was a lawful killing without investigating?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

Exactly my question too. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that it contains nothing more valuable than a lawn mower. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Grey Area said:

They ask questions at the scene. They can clearly see the house was broken into, the perps were armed and attacked first. It's fairly easy to see it was self defence. They will not take you in to leave your house unprotected and vulnerable for someone to come in and clear out all your belongings.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, freetoroam said:

That would be a police decision then. I am taking it that the police had attended the premises, hence why it is known. 

So what happens, an alleged burglar enters someones house, the owner shoots them dead, the police turn up and accepts the word of the owner there and then, the police then   gets the body removed and off they go? 

I put alleged burglar because if the shooter is not going to be brought in for questioning,  this is a very good excuse for shooting someone dead, just say they were burgling your home and the police will accept it, you do not even have to put your coat on.

No, it is not a police decision.  The police have to report the incident as fully as possible.  If someone dies the investigation includes the D.A.  (in the U.S.) who is the one who ultimately decides if it is a "lawfull killing, self defense, what ever"  The police can skew the decision by mis-reporting or under reporting but it is not their decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, it is not a police decision.  The police have to report the incident as fully as possible.  If someone dies the investigation includes the D.A.  (in the U.S.) who is the one who ultimately decides if it is a "lawfull killing, self defense, what ever"  The police can skew the decision by mis-reporting or under reporting but it is not their decision.

Basically my point. The police can not just take the word of the shooter and leave. If this was the case then it would be easy to use this as excuse to kill people you do not like. 

Invite them round, shoot them and stick a crowbar in their hand and the police will accept it. 

Ofcourse there has to be an investigation and if there is not, if Michelle is correct and police just ask questions at the scene and accept the shooters story, then there could be a lot of people out there getting off scot free for murder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Basically my point. The police can not just take the word of the shooter and leave. If this was the case then it would be easy to use this as excuse to kill people you do not like. 

Invite them round, shoot them and stick a crowbar in their hand and the police will accept it. 

Ofcourse there has to be an investigation and if there is not, if Michelle is correct and police just ask questions at the scene and accept the shooters story, then there could be a lot of people out there getting off scot free for murder. 

The police do have to answer to a boss.  If they show up they have to file a report, they get to decide in the moment if they are making an arrest, meaning certain criteria has been met.  Or they can continue to investigate and get the criteria they need to make an arrest, but after that it is up to the DA to prosecute.  There are people who get off scott free for a plethora of reasons and there are people who go to prison for someone else's crime.  I know of one case where the person with prior history of the same crime was finally prosecuted and was let off with probation because of his relative in local government.  He was such a reprobate though, that eventually 3 more crimes down the road he did go to jail and that relative disowned him.  There are a lot of conditions that can cause the system to be misused or useless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

Good for him.

If these thugs had entered someones house in many parts of America, either they would have been shot dead or they would have shot the owner. 

The owner time you really see guns used in the UK by burglars, is when it involves something really expensive and they know the owner is likely to have guns too. Burglars here do not use a gun to break into someones shed and likewise, owners do not shoot someone if someone breaks into it. The valuables, unless it is farming equipment, are not usually kept in an outside shed. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 3:15 AM, freetoroam said:

I do not agree with the burglar being killed and find it very strange for anyone to shoot someone and just leave the body there for hours. 

What if the burglar was not dead at first? I believe in justice, but as Oversword pointed out:

I think calling the police would have been the best option, you can not just shoot someone dead when they are not putting your life at risk. 

Yes. The guy should have called the police imo since it was the shed. 

I asked Oversword the question I asked because I wanted to know the mentality of who I was conversing with, and it was not related to the situation.

Supposedly the guy said the thief ran off, but it may be conjecture for his defense? The guy screwed up, and should have called the police.

It's a tough call for me if someone was breaking into my place. I would rather be alert to defend myself against an unknown number of intruders than play 20 questions with a dispatcher.

If you find this incident disturbing?

Search on YouTube "Joe Horn 911 shocking Call While Killing 2 Intruders" (Note: You have to scroll down the results a little to see the YT channel called "The Grifter"), and "Man Shoots Two Teens that were Robbing His House in Minnesota" (See YT channel called "Horror Stories".

• Like 1