Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
macqdor

He saw the scientific promise in the ........

macqdor

He saw the scientific promise in the paranormal, but now his legacy could be lost

Lightning curls into balls that pass ghostlike through windows and explode. Auroras dip from the sky to buzz and crackle around astonished viewers. Unexplained booms shake the skies over bays and rivers worldwide.

For more than three decades, a Baltimore physicist named William Corliss collected scientific journal reports of these and thousands of other strange phenomena into dozens of books, culminating in his multivolume “Catalog of Anomalies,” a shadow encyclopedia of things science doesn’t understand. Like any curiosity seeker, he aimed to delight and dazzle; but he also hoped to spur new discoveries and understandings. “Anomalies reveal nature as it really is: complex, chaotic, possibly even unplumbable,” Corliss wrote in one catalog. “However iconoclastic the pages of this book, the history of science tells us that future students of nature will laugh at our conservatism and lack of vision

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/he-saw-the-scientific-promise-in-the-paranormal-but-now-his-legacy-could-be-lost/2019/09/23/e42c02e6-c8e8-11e9-a4f3-c081a126de70_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3TWR8RmGfTeeRmZV2xydU0IsERcK9K_nsL8PxNN_95CRQ2iVvbzU7t6u0

Corliss hoped that his compilations of the weird just might spark a scientific revolution. After all, the history of science is replete with cases of ridiculed reports and obscure observations that, when fitted together, revealed something new: the extraterrestrial origin of meteorites, for example, or the grim reality of battered-child syndrome.

“Round about the accredited and orderly facts of every science there ever floats a sort of dust-cloud of exceptional observations, of occurrences minute and irregular, and seldom met with, which it always proves less easy to attend to than to ignore. ... Anyone will renovate his science who will steadily look after the irregular phenomena.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/he-saw-the-scientific-promise-in-the-paranormal-but-now-his-legacy-could-be-lost/2019/09/23/e42c02e6-c8e8-11e9-a4f3-c081a126de70_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3TWR8RmGfTeeRmZV2xydU0IsERcK9K_nsL8PxNN_95CRQ2iVvbzU7t6u0

• Thanks 2

zep73

Anomalies are not paranormal, unless they defy the laws of nature. Nothing has ever been proven to defy the laws of nature.

I can see creationists hold Corliss in high regards, because he questioned the age of the Earth :D
That is - as usual - a misunderstanding. He found geological anomalies, that he said needed further study. Not that the Earth is young.

• Like 3

ChrLzs

Big letters certainly makes this handwaved crud more believable, so thanks for cluttering the forum...

But this sort of bull**** and ridiculously emotive language:

... future students of nature will laugh at our conservatism and lack of vision ...
... After all, the history of science is replete with cases of ridiculed reports and obscure observations that, when fitted together, revealed something new: the extraterrestrial origin of meteorites, for example, or the grim reality of battered-child syndrome ...

is clearly just a troll designed to insult and divide.  Science ignored battered children?????  What a ludicrously stupid claim!

No decent examples are given, and ya know what - they also laughed at Bozo the Clown...  The fact that ill-informed people laugh at wild claims *DOESN'T mean that science is flawed, and that paranormal claptrap and hoaxing of the style you get involved in, shouldn't be exposed for what it is - namely horse manure.  If this guy's 'legacy' is lost, it will be with good reason.

Macqdor, just cut to the chase, right here and now - please give your very best evidenced example of something that has been unfairly dismissed by 'science'.  Because frankly, your record here is a litany of unbelievably idiotic claims, none of which were properly recorded or evidenced.  And then this constant whining about how no-one takes your crud seriously.

So fix that now by posting your best example.

Note the big letters.  I'm really serious...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

macqdor

These are not my claims. These are articles. The reader can read it and make of it what they will. 

Information sharing under the title forum I think it belongs under.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

As u were.

ChrLzs

And I rejected his criticisms and gave my reasons.  As you presumably support what he said, you should now continue the discussion by either doing what I asked, or admitting that you, like the author you are citing, don't have any decent examples.  It's just a handwaved rant from a hater of science and skeptics.

Did you not want to debate/discuss?  Why are you here on this *discussion forum* then?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ChrLzs

One day, macqdor, you might grow opinions of your very own.  Then, after that you might have to wait a while to grow the cojones to actually express those opinions and support them with actual evidence and examples.

• Thanks 2

macqdor

This is an article. You more than free to read it and offer commentary i.e. opinion after reading it.  My contribution for now is bringing it here.  I may engage. I may not.

No need to go personal.  Hover around.  I'm pretty sure someone will respond that u can debate with . 

Or not.

As u were

Golden Duck
7 hours ago, macqdor said:

Forums are intended to encourage group input, decision making and collaboration. Blogs are for personal thoughts, news or maybe accounts of any events. Difference between Blog vs. Forum

• Like 1

psyche101
7 hours ago, macqdor said:

These are not my claims. These are articles. The reader can read it and make of it what they will. 

Nothing more. Nothing less.

As u were.

As you are sharing the information here, can you explain what that article actually has to do with the paranormal. 

And has anyone tried battered children? Are they better than a battered sav or more like a battered Mars bar? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

moonman

Isn't it a forum rule to not just copy and paste stuff without providing thoughts on it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2