Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paper suggests we 'infect' Mars with life

Still Waters

What do you imagine the first settlers on Mars will look like? Maybe they'll be the best and brightest our world has to offer: people from countries around the world with multiple degrees and decades of training in astrophysics.

Or maybe the first Earthlings on Mars will be a bunch of microbes.

A paper published last month in the journal FEMS Microbiology Ecology argues that the "primary colonists" of the Red Planet should be "microorganisms" - the bacteria, viruses, and fungi that support many of life's processes here on Earth.

https://www.sciencealert.com/controversial-paper-suggests-kickstarting-life-on-mars-by-infecting-it-with-microbes

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Such a sly way to suggest we start dumping industrial waste and thrash on Mars

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

I predict a BnL WALL-E type landscape on Mars in 2100.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Vox said:

I predict a BnL WALL-E type landscape on Mars in 2100.

You're probably right. LOL

22 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

I guess that's one way to jump start them Martian Death Worms. We send the water bears & nuclear waste.

• Haha 1

Just now, jowasmus said:

I guess that's one way to jump start them Martian Death Worms. We send the water bears & nuclear waste.

Let's start a trend naming kids John Carter and Buck Rogers... 

:yes:

~

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Let's start a trend naming kids John Carter and Buck Rogers... 

:yes:

~

I actually wanted to, but my wife knew who John & Buck are & didn't want him being made fun of. I had her convinced Daniel Jackson was a great 1st and middle name till she saw me watching Star Gate. :rolleyes: Named him Chase instead & he's been running ever since. Told her that if she'd went for Daniel, he might have been slower.

Edited by jowasmus
left words out
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jowasmus said:

I actually wanted to, but she knew who John & Buck are & didn't want him being made fun of. I had her convinced Daniel Jackson was a great 1st and middle name till she saw me watching Star Gate. :rolleyes: Named him Chase instead & he's been running ever since. Told her that if she'd went for Daniel, he might have been slower.

I have met a kid named "yoda"

Seriously, I thought it was a nickname but it turned out his name was "You Da" or friendly great talent in Chinese 

:D

.~

2 hours ago, HSlim said:

We have plenty of choice. We can't even un**** Earth, why begin the destruction of Mars too?

I think it's very unlikely that there is anything living on Mars, even microbes.

So there is nothing on Mars to destroy, it's a dead rock in space.

• Haha 1

This is not a new idea by any stretch. I remember reading about the idea to terraform the Martian atmosphere using algae way back in the early 80's - and I'm sure that idea came long before I read about it.

The algae eats up all the CO2 and spits out oxygen. It would take a long, long time to show any meaningful oxygen production, or so the idea goes.

Edited by moonman

What do you imagine the first settlers on Mars will look like? Maybe they'll be the best and brightest our world has to offer: people from countries around the world with multiple degrees 

We need these kind of people here to sort out the mess on Earth. Earth should come first, this is where life is. 

Ok to explore other planets, but thats it. We do not need to try and see if we can grow anything or live on Mars.

On 10/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, Still Waters said:

What do you imagine the first settlers on Mars will look like? Maybe they'll be the best and brightest our world has to offer: people from countries around the world with multiple degrees and decades of training in astrophysics.

The first settlers will be astronauts and Scientists. The second wave will be a breakaway civilization of billionaires and elite families looking to leave a dying Earth behind. 

Let's be honest: no one is going to Mars for the price of a Greyhound ticket any time soon.

Can we fix earth first?
After terraforming Mars it'll be a few hundred million years more to become what earth is today. On mars agriculturing a seed of Tomatoe would be equally sophisticated as growing a palm tree at the north pole

We can put a few microbes on mars, But the local Inhabitants won't be amused!

B)