Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is Jesus so late?

Cake or Death

Honestly curious, I don't know that much about religious texts (bible etc) but in reading a bit, it does seem apparent that Jesus indicated he would come back during his follower's life times.  But beyond that, what exactly do Christians think he is waiting for?  Like is there a specific reason he would just arbitrarily pick the "right" time?

I know there are the books of revelations or what have you, but those seem to be very different, like a really bad sequel to the bible lol.

• Like 1

Umm... that is .. debatable ? I'm not sure that the New Testament specifies that JESUS will come back ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Cake or Death said:

Honestly curious, I don't know that much about religious texts (bible etc) but in reading a bit, it does seem apparent that Jesus indicated he would come back during his follower's life times.  But beyond that, what exactly do Christians think he is waiting for?  Like is there a specific reason he would just arbitrarily pick the "right" time?

I know there are the books of revelations or what have you, but those seem to be very different, like a really bad sequel to the bible lol.

I think some people get the judaic idea of the messiah mixed up with Jesus.  I have never seen any reference in the new testament to Jesus coming back.  Revelations is a book in the bible and it is not about Jesus.

I am not a bible scholar but I was beat over the head with it so much as a kid and young adult that I have read a lot of it, usually to prove someone wrong, which was easy being able to read and look things up.

• Like 2

Like I said, I am not saying that with certainty, it's just what I gleaned from reading some of the portions.  I am the farthest thing from a biblical scholar, or any kind of scholar lol.  I was merely asking what others thought.  It seemed like he was very assuring to them not to fret that he would be back.

And to my second point or inquiry, if he was being non-committal with a date/time would it make sense for him to wait thousands of years? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cake or Death said:

Like I said, I am not saying that with certainty, it's just what I gleaned from reading some of the portions.  I am the farthest thing from a biblical scholar, or any kind of scholar lol.  I was merely asking what others thought.  It seemed like he was very assuring to them not to fret that he would be back.

And to my second point or inquiry, if he was being non-committal with a date/time would it make sense for him to wait thousands of years? 

If he is real, nothing about him makes sense.   Most of the mythology is different somewhat based on different ministers/preachers/preists beliefs, hopes and fears.  There is too much human inflection on the whole story for anyone to actually know anything for sure, including whether it is a story or really happened.  Even when you are going to the same denomination every preacher has a different list of what is important and what is true.  Personally, if Jesus is supposed to be back I think it already happened and maybe it happens over and over, we are just too despotic to notice.  But I personally believe very little of the christian myth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank for the replies.

Now, I'm going to be a little silly, what if he did come back and was annoyed at us, and just decided to have a little fun for himself this go around..and he's....TOM BRADY?!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Cake or Death said:

Thank for the replies.

Now, I'm going to be a little silly, what if he did come back and was annoyed at us, and just decided to have a little fun for himself this go around..and he's....TOM BRADY?!

In the 80's I lived in a small town in southern New Mexico and there were rumors that went overboard and people got excited because supposedly Jesus was making a tour of the U.S. and was going to be in our town on a specific date.  My coworkers and I had a lot of fun joking about that.  Near the end of that year I got a job in a small town in Texas and Jusus was supposed to show up a week after I got there.  I didn't know my new co-workers except I noticed immediately that they were all very religious but they also joked about Jesus showing up. It was funny and then no one talked about it because it never happened.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's awesome hehe.  I would have had alot of fun working there that week.  "Omg! did you see that guy's sandals? DEF him!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cake or Death said:

Those who disbelieve will never get a sufficient answer to cause them to believe and usually, those who ask these kinds of questions are the most intransigent on the topic.  They seem to take energy from denying, as though their opinion would matter beyond their own lives.  

On the chance that your question is actually a question, I'd say the Creator owes no one here an answer beyond what He gave His disciples.   He told them of things that would happen in their/our future and told them He did this so that when they saw these predictions come true they would remember and believe.  

In short, the choice is yours.  Believe or don't.  It only matters to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read the topic title out loud and my pal sitting beside me sipping on his coffee replied, "I hope he Jesus is not pregnant"

Pretty much sums up my day so far... 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Even Anti Christ didn't appeared yet. But It seems we are moving to apocalyptic time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

In Buddhist Script, Heaven's one day is hundred years of earth. Time is relative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

.... I have never seen any reference in the new testament to Jesus coming back..... I am not a bible scholar but I was beat over the head with it so much as a kid and young adult that I have read a lot of it, usually to prove someone wrong, which was easy being able to read and look things up.

Obviously you were not beat over the head sufficiently.

Second Coming of Jesus

QUESTION: What does the Bible say about the Second Coming of Jesus?

ANSWER:

The Second Coming of Jesus is a widely misunderstood and debated topic, even among eschatology scholars. The Bible foretells of this "day of the Lord" or "end times" event, but readers often confuse it with what is called the Rapture. In studying either, it is important to understand the difference.

Debaters often proclaim the "Rapture" is a word that is not in the Bible. That is true! English translations do not actually use the word Rapture but it is translated from the Greek word harpazo, meaning caught, away, up. (See Strong's Concordance # 726 and # 138.) The belief is largely based on 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17. It is important to note this because this verse says, "to meet the Lord in the air." This means Jesus does not step foot on the earth at this time; believers will be called up to the clouds to meet Him.

The Second Coming refers to Jesus' return to earth itself, conquering Satan (Revelation 16:15-17 and 17:14) and reclaiming God's Kingdom with His saints (1 Thessalonians 3:13; Zechariah 14:5; Jude 1:14). Jesus himself foretold of His return in Matthew 24 and 25. In these two chapters, He goes into great detail about the events leading up to the time of His return.

Jesus, speaking of Himself, said in Matthew 25: 31-32, "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats." (Here He is saying that God will separate His obedient followers from the pretenders and unbelievers.)

In John 14:3, Jesus states, "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." Then in verse 28-29, He speaks more on this promise saying that He is telling this ahead of time so that when it does happen, we will know He is true.

The early followers of Jesus Christ knew He had ascended to heaven and they expected that He would return for them as promised. However, the promise is for all who have been faithful believers since. Be spiritually prepared and watchful for His victorious return!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Cake or Death said:

Thank for the replies.

Can't be any Tom, Dick, or Harry, as no one knows his name on his return.

Revelation 19:

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” a He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

king of kings and lord of lords.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

In the 80's I lived in a small town in southern New Mexico and there were rumors that went overboard and people got excited because supposedly Jesus was making a tour of the U.S. and was going to be in our town on a specific date.  My coworkers and I had a lot of fun joking about that.  Near the end of that year I got a job in a small town in Texas and Jusus was supposed to show up a week after I got there.  I didn't know my new co-workers except I noticed immediately that they were all very religious but they also joked about Jesus showing up. It was funny and then no one talked about it because it never happened.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

I read the topic title out loud and my pal sitting beside me sipping on his coffee replied, "I hope he Jesus is not pregnant"

Pretty much sums up my day so far... 

~

To sum what I made of your day, I would say that he would have an abortion, if he was pregnant, judging by some of his offspring.

• Sad 1

He's busy with his youtube channle forgotten weapons and his vids for the russians.

For those that await, I know that when Jesus returns, he will be a big fan off ZZ Top, as Jesus would play this song to us. What else can we expect from the God of Love? He wants some Love too!

I got to have a shot
Of what you got
It's oh so sweet
You got to make it hot
Like a boomerang I need a repeat
Gimme all your lovin'
All your hugs and kisses too
Gimme all your lovin'
Don't let up until we're through
You got to whip it up
And hit me like a ton of lead
If I blow my top
Will you let it go to your head
Gimme all your lovin'
Gimme all your lovin'
You got to move it up
And use it like a screwball would
You got to pack it up
And work it like a new boy should
Gimme all your lovin'
Gimme all your lovin'

10 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

To sum what I made of your day, I would say that he would have an abortion, if he was pregnant, judging by some of his offspring.

Offspring? 

Confirmed with blood tests? 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Offspring? 

Confirmed with blood tests? 

~

Better than that....DNA!

Just now, Pettytalk said:

Better than that....DNA!

Don't tell me, you found the God gene on a ZZ Top CD cover... 

~

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Don't tell me, you found the God gene on a ZZ Top CD cover... 

~

I was actually referring to the differentiation of sheep from goats, as blood tests are not possible for determining which is which for the dead ones, since mostly, there will only be bones to test. Although for the live ones, one look at their tails will easily discern sheep from goats.  The goats will be hightailing for the nearest cave to hide from the wrath.

Look at their tails
The easiest way to tell the difference between a sheep and goat is to look at their tails. A goat's tail goes up (unless it is sick, frightened, or in distress). Sheep tails hang down and are often docked (shortened) for health and sanitary reasons.

From Revelation 6: The sky receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved from its place. 15Then the kings of the earth, the nobles, the commanders, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and free man, hid in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. 16And they said to the mountains and the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of the One seated on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb.…

From Matthew 25:31–46: "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

From Revelation 20:  13The sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead, and each one was judged according to his deeds.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Look at their tails
The easiest way to tell the difference between a sheep and goat is to look at their tails. A goat's tail goes up (unless it is sick, frightened, or in distress). Sheep tails hang down and are often docked (shortened) for health and sanitary reasons.

Uhmmm... 

[00.01:18]

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 4