Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is Jesus so late?

Cake or Death

9 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I am not here to change the mind 

You're not?

What are you here for then?

To just spread your confusion around as much as you can?

Edited by Will Due

13 hours ago, Will Due said:

You're not? What are you here for then? To just spread your confusion around as much as you can

No, my intention is that other people will read the discussion and see my point, as they will be reading dispassionately and can be more objective as a result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

No, my intention is that other people will read the discussion and see my point, as they will be reading dispassionately and can be more objective as a result.

But religion and spiritual experience are much more subjective than they're objective.

Maybe a little passion at least, is the key.

20 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Only in our generation has the gospel of the Kingdom been preached to the whole world. Why in Jesus' generation Atlantis had not even been officially discovered by Columbus, and where the preaching of the gospel there has yielded Christianity a very stronghold in all the Americas. 

Sorry, do you seriously think the Americas are Atlantis?  On a similar note, you do realize that Columbus didn't discover America, he discovered the island of Hispaniola, and thought it was India.  It was in fact Amerigo Vespucci who pointed out that the Americas were in fact a different set of continents.  

As to the rest of your alleged points, I read over the quotes, but I fail to see where the generation of Jesus is specifically referred to.  The words "age"(as in, "an age of the world") and "generation"(as in, "a generation of humanity") are not even synonyms.  The fact is that a generation is a discrete period of time and an age of the world will contain a great many generations of humankind.  Remember also, that in the time of Jesus, the average age of a generation was only 15 years, and in Hebrew society that was generally reduced to 13 years.  As an Age is seldom less than a thousand years, and normally closer to two thousand years in Biblical thinking, and a generation is about 15 years, we are crudely 133 generations since the ministry of Jesus is supposed to have begun in 31AD, and still no stars have fallen from the sky.

Now in the Greek which is the original language of Mark 13:25-30, the word "generation" is given as γενεὰ and it is pronounced "genea".  You may refer to it in wikipedia here: LINK.  This word is not a synonym for "Age", especially not in the sense of "An Age of the World".  It refers to the production of offspring until they in turn reach maturity and produce offspring of their own.  The fact is, in Mark 13:25-30, Jesus prophecies that the stars will fall from the sky within a single generation, and this prophecy never came to pass.  That makes him a false prophet.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But religion and spiritual experience are much more subjective than they're objective.  Maybe a little passion at least, is the key.

Why not admit that your religion is actually a form of truthiness?

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Coil said:

I wrote in another topic that the Jews are breakaway Indians for some wrongdoing but forgetting their roots since it was a long time ago.

But then you're an ignorant racist who doesn't even have two brain cells for company.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Why not admit that your religion is actually a form of truthiness?

I just went through this with someone in another thread.

There are two types of religion. The religion of others and the religion each person experiences directly with a unique spark of divinity, the same that indwells us all unbidden - true religion. 

Why be so focused on the religion of others, when it's personal true religion that matters?

It's through the personal experiences of true religion that the knowledge of God is found. Even if, and perhaps especially if a person can't believe in the truthiness of someone else's religion.

You're not afraid to admit that are you?

25 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Sorry, do you seriously think the Americas are Atlantis?  On a similar note, you do realize that Columbus didn't discover America, he discovered the island of Hispaniola, and thought it was India.  It was in fact Amerigo Vespucci who pointed out that the Americas were in fact a different set of continents.  

As to the rest of your alleged points, I read over the quotes, but I fail to see where the generation of Jesus is specifically referred to.  The words "age"(as in, "an age of the world") and "generation"(as in, "a generation of humanity") are not even synonyms.  The fact is that a generation is a discrete period of time and an age of the world will contain a great many generations of humankind.  Remember also, that in the time of Jesus, the average age of a generation was only 15 years, and in Hebrew society that was generally reduced to 13 years.  As an Age is seldom less than a thousand years, and normally closer to two thousand years in Biblical thinking, and a generation is about 15 years, we are crudely 133 generations since the ministry of Jesus is supposed to have begun in 31AD, and still no stars have fallen from the sky.

Now in the Greek which is the original language of Mark 13:25-30, the word "generation" is given as γενεὰ and it is pronounced "genea".  You may refer to it in wikipedia here: LINK.  This word is not a synonym for "Age", especially not in the sense of "An Age of the World".  It refers to the production of offspring until they in turn reach maturity and produce offspring of their own.  The fact is, in Mark 13:25-30, Jesus prophecies that the stars will fall from the sky within a single generation, and this prophecy never came to pass.  That makes him a false prophet.

Seriously!

You are really naive to think that such common knowledge is held only by you. Have fun!

Perhaps it is a good thing that I'll never really understand the minds of the religious. Doesn't seem to be mentally healthy. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Perhaps it is a good thing that I'll never really understand the minds of the religious. Doesn't seem to be mentally healthy. 

You're right. It doesn't seem to be mentally healthy to never really understand the minds of the religious. 

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You're right. It doesn't seem to be mentally healthy to never really understand the minds of the religious. 

Yeah, I can't fathom the level of irrationality that you operate at. Nor can I comprehend the exact volume of self-righteousness that goes along with it. Must be nice to have all the answers, because, you know, God Did It. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Must be nice to have all the answers

Not all. Just enough for now. :tu:

Which is yes, pretty nice. :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

It's possible to understand someone's mind without completely agreeing with them ya know.

• Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Will Due said:

Is it mentally healthy to not understand the mind of the non religious ? Is it mentally healthy to equate atheists with child molesters like you do Will ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Is it mentally healthy to not understand the mind of the non religious ? Is it mentally healthy to equate atheists with child molesters like you do Will ?

Frankly, you will find that there are an awful lot more child molesters among the religious, than among the atheists.  This is hardly surprising, given that there is a positive correlation for narcissistic personality disorder between both child molesters and priests, and the whole notion that one's deity will forgive sins perpetrated on a third party without the need to make amends is very convenient.  Similarly, atheists are statistically very under-represented in jails, given that they make up 16% of the population (and rising), and yet make up less than 2% of the US national jail populations.  So much for the moral force of religion...

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

Frankly, you will find that there are an awful lot more child molesters among the religious, than among the atheists.  This is hardly surprising, given that there is a positive correlation for narcissistic personality disorder between both child molesters and priests, and the whole notion that one's deity will forgive sins perpetrated on a third party without the need to make amends is very convenient.  Similarly, atheists are statistically very under-represented in jails, given that they make up 16% of the population (and rising), and yet make up less than 2% of the US national jail populations.  So much for the moral force of religion...

There's an awful lot to digest in that lot ! I can't say I am familiar with the argument that narcissism and child sexual molestation are related, I know there was a popular supposition that Catholic clergical celibacy was to blame, for much of the scandals within that church, but it is also rife elsewhere, so not a convincing  explanation. I always take it as a certain sign that perpetrators simply do not believe in the judgement day, and are not only criminals, but hypocrites as well. I guess a narcissist can rationalise all that away.

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Do not molest the minds of children by telling them lies about God.

It would be better if a millstone were hanged around the neck and be cast into the sea.

6 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Especially since the second most infamous child molesters are priests.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Will Due said:

Do not molest the minds of children by telling them lies about God.

It would be better if a millstone were hanged around the neck and be cast into the sea

Does the Urantia Book advocate killing children or is it just you who thinks that killing children is a good idea ? :no:

Don't think that people are ever going to forget this post Will.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Does the Urantia Book advocate killing children or is it just you who thinks that killing children is a good idea ? :no:

Don't think that people are ever going to forget this post Will.

To be fair, he was quoting Jesus from the new testament, and Jesus was talking about it being better for someone to die than for them to hurt a child.

I mean he's still wrong, just saying he wasn't talking about killing kids here.

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

To be fair, he was quoting Jesus from the new testament, and Jesus was talking about it being better for someone to die than for them to hurt a child.

I mean he's still wrong, just saying he wasn't talking about killing kids here.

So he is only in favour of killing non-believers then ?

5 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

So he is only in favour of killing non-believers then ?

Is he? Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he is. 

I'm not defending his rhetoric, given how he's proven himself to be demonstrably wrong on almost every issue. Just saying that in this particular instance was wasn't advocating killing kids. 

I've heard the milestone around the neck thing my whole life. Christians tend to have their own unique phrases and lingo than anyone who didn't grow up in a devout Christian household wouldn't likely understand.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Is he? Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if he is. 

I'm not defending his rhetoric, given how he's proven himself to be demonstrably wrong on almost every issue. Just saying that in this particular instance was wasn't advocating killing kids. 

I've heard the milestone around the neck thing my whole life. Christians tend to have their own unique phrases and lingo than anyone who didn't grow up in a devout Christian household wouldn't likely understand.

I grew up in a secular family in a largely secular society, so you might be right that I don't understand the lingo. Its just to me saying that someone should have a millstone around their neck and then being cast into the sea is not something can understand. Maybe its because I never learned proper "christian" moral ? :innocent:

Btw @Will Due does my brother deserve to be drowned because my niece is an atheist ? Should I be drowned myself, as I am her godfather ? 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I grew up in a secular family in a largely secular society, so you might be right that I don't understand the lingo. Its just to me saying that someone should have a millstone around their neck and then being cast into the sea is not something can understand. Maybe its because I never learned proper "christian" moral ? :innocent:

I don't know if it's in the Urantia Book, but it is in the Book of Matthew:

It's what Christians say when someone talks about hurting children in some way.

Wish I grew up secular. I envy your early life man, lol.

Edited by Aquila King