Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is Jesus so late?

Cake or Death

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I don't know if it's in the Urantia Book, but it is in the Book of Matthew:

I looked it up and its also in Luke 17:2.

It's one of those few cases of Jesus advocating violence. It's what Christians say when someone talks about hurting children in some way.

It can't be easy living your life in accordance to something as contradictory as as the bible. 

I just have to make do with my common sense and the laws of the land as a guide. It have kept me out of troble so far. :tu:

Wish I grew up secular. I envy your early life man, lol.

Religion just simply wasn't much of an issue in my family. Its not big deal on a national scene either, we just had a general election and I don't remember any of the politicians talking about their religion. I don't even know, or care, if our PM is religious at all.

Even though my niece asked me to be her godfather when she was christened, she only got christened so she could get her confirmation party and the presents. (I did the same thing at her age)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It can't be easy living your life in accordance to something as contradictory as as the bible.

It's religious fundamentalism that's the true evil out there. Those who are more open-minded and flexible with their religious beliefs are for the most part relatively harmless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

It's religious fundamentalism that's the true evil out there. Those who are more open-minded and flexible with their religious beliefs are for the most part relatively harmless.

I agree with that. :tu:

In my world people can believe whatever they like, as long as they don't try to push it on people against their will. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jesus 'peace will return until it happens in  this war world, when he says he will return from the lighting of the east to the west  when the middle  east attacks the west  

King James Bible
For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
https://www.biblehub.com/matthew/24-27.htm

Edited by docyabut2

The Abomination of Desolation

(Mark 13:14-23; Luke 21:20-24)

15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 23Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before.

22And except those days should be shortened, (a atomic war ) there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:43 AM, Alchopwn said:

The Jews don't think Jesus is the messiah . . ."

YHWH

This much is true; that's why they killed him. However, there is a remnant that thinks he is. As small as we are, we are strong!!

On 10/6/2019 at 12:25 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Maybe God shouldn't have made nuclear bombs possible ?

If he created the universe he also created the physical laws that makes them possible in the first place didn't he ?

That's like saying God shouldn't have made steak knives if he knew I would kill my neighbor. Your logic is not reasonable.

Edited by larryp
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Habitat said:

There's an awful lot to digest in that lot ! I can't say I am familiar with the argument that narcissism and child sexual molestation are related, I know there was a popular supposition that Catholic clergical celibacy was to blame, for much of the scandals within that church, but it is also rife elsewhere, so not a convincing  explanation. I always take it as a certain sign that perpetrators simply do not believe in the judgement day, and are not only criminals, but hypocrites as well. I guess a narcissist can rationalise all that away.

The story that somehow clerical celibacy is to blame is a nonsense.  The fact is and remains that a great many catholic priests have always sought the services of prostitutes, or have been in covert relationships with their "housekeepers", and communities and the Church generally turn a blind eye to the matter, provided it remains discrete, as y'know, sins get forgiven etc.  For my part, I see no sin here, other than failing to keep an oath that should never have been imposed.  While I haven't seen any reliable statistics on the rate of pedophilia in catholic clergy and so I cannot comment with absolute certainty about elevated rates of offending, I would point out that in their role as trusted educators, catholic priests have a particularly easy time grooming victims.  In fact, two of my old friends were molested by catholic priests while on a retreat. 

I would also point out that there is a statistically high rate of narcissism among the homosexual community, and a good number of priests tend to be closeted homosexuals.  Now while it has been said that there is no correlation between homosexuals and pedophilia, that isn't quite the story that the statistics tell when you actually remove the political bias from how the stats are aggregated.  The fact is that there is a slight rise in rates of pedophilia among homosexuals as opposed to the male heterosexual community.  Interestingly, given the issues of high rates of paranoia among lesbians, their rates of child abuse are in line with the heterosexual community, as are their rates of domestic abuse in lesbian relationships.

I would however point out that Catholicism is not the only religion that suffers from this problem.  For example, in Islam, pedophilia is not even regarded as being morally wrong.  The primary religious courts of the Sunnis in KSA and the Shi'ites in Iran both agree that a father has the right to molest his children when they are as young as 1 year old via a process called "thighing" which may involve anything from m********ing on their thighs to actually sodomizing them.  The alleged prophet mohammed (pigs be up him) is on record as thanking Abu Bakr for allowing him to marry his underage daughter Aisha and molest her, describing him as "the most blessed of fathers in heaven".  In fact, Islam has no laws regarding an age of consent, demanding only that a couple be married before engaging in sex.  Islam also turns a blind eye to the use of young boys as prostitutes, considering this behavior "normal".

Now if you think that Judaism, Orthodox Christian and Protestantism are immune to the pedophilia scandal, hold onto your hats.  I will be very surprised if there aren't a lot of very troubling revelations about abuses in these communities, especially among the charity workers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

This much is true; that's why they killed him. However, there is a remnant that thinks he is. As small as we are, we are strong!!

The Jews never killed Jesus because Jesus was never a real person.  The life of Jesus is an allegorical story that relates to mysteries in astrology, but is covered in a veneer of moral teachings.  The fact is, if you were in 300BC and you asked about a Bishop of Christ, people would know that you meant a high ranking priest of the Egyptian syncretic deity known as Serapis. 

As for being strong because you are still taken in by a scam, well, good for you buddy.  Keep putting your money on that plate and living on your knees before an imaginary sky tyrant whose scriptures show he wants to eat you.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, larryp said:

Smoke and mirrors!!

Yes exactly.  Most churches with any pedigree have censers, and there are always plenty of reflective surfaces.

• Haha 2

I'm a skeptic. 

I've just begun reading the Bible for the first time in my life.  

I was raised an Atheist.....although, I was Christened Church of England/Anglican as I think it was more of a popular event to take place during that era for parents, as I don't see it happening today.  I don't think that has anything to do with my beliefs though.        I simply wanted to read the Bible because we've recently transferred both of our boys to a private Christian College. 

Therefore, I thought it best that I should probably learn a bit more about it all.

I have questions so far on what I've read.  Is it okay if I ask them in here or would it be preferable for me to ask elsewhere?  I don't mind either way.

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I'm a skeptic. 

I was raised an Atheist.....although, I was Christened Church of England/Anglican as I think it was more of a popular event to take place during that era for parents, as I don't see it happening today.  I don't think that has anything to do with my beliefs though.        I simply wanted to read the Bible because we've recently transferred both of our boys to a private Christian College. 

Therefore, I thought it best that I should probably learn a bit more about it all.

I have questions so far on what I've read.  Is it okay if I ask them in here or would it be preferable for me to ask elsewhere?  I don't mind either way.

I suspect some of your questions will get varied answers.  Maybe you could start a thread for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi! There are many different type of appearances of Jesus. Although, my own personal Jesus in my own Reality is similar to the One in the Last Supper painting.

may the Universe bless you, and your Jesus in your own Reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2019 at 8:06 PM, Gwynbleidd said:

I'm a skeptic. 

I was raised an Atheist . . . I simply wanted to read the Bible because we've recently transferred both of our boys to a private Christian College. 

This is what you do, snuggle up to it with a glass of wine, let it nestle you. You will see that there are sex and violence, but most of all, there is the truth that leads to everlasting life. What ever you do, don' t allow someone else to interpret the Scriptures for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, larryp said:

This is what you do, snuggle up to it with a glass of wine, let it nestle you. You will see that there are sex and violence, but most of all, there is the truth that leads to everlasting life. What ever you do, don' t allow someone else to interpret the Scriptures for you.

The bolded I totally agree with, the rest, I can't tell if you are joking or serious.  If I said it I would I be joking but if you feel that is true for you, good for you found something useful in it.

• Like 1

5000 years from now people will still be waiting, in 5000 years from that they'll still be waiting. That's if we don't go extinct first or Christianity does within the next 10,000 years. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

5000 years from now people will still be waiting, in 5000 years from that they'll still be waiting. That's if we don't go extinct first or Christianity does within the next 10,000 years. 

Do you really think christianity will last that long?  I don't.  I think it is on the way out along with the other judaic sects.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Do you really think christianity will last that long?  I don't.  I think it is on the way out along with the other judaic sects.

I think I mentioned in my post "if" we don't go extinct or Christianity does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think I mentioned in my post "if" we don't go extinct or Christianity does. 

OK.  I missed the "or chrisitanity does"

On October 19, 2019 at 5:13 AM, Alchopwn said:

Frankly, you will find that there are an awful lot more child molesters among the religious, than among the atheists.  This is hardly surprising, given that there is a positive correlation for narcissistic personality disorder between both child molesters and priests, and the whole notion that one's deity will forgive sins perpetrated on a third party without the need to make amends is very convenient.  Similarly, atheists are statistically very under-represented in jails, given that they make up 16% of the population (and rising), and yet make up less than 2% of the US national jail populations.  So much for the moral force of religion...

Well, to be fair,  Might that have something to do with there being a lot more religious than atheists?    Child molestation by priests does seem above the average curve....but, I think that goes all the wayyyyyyyyback to the Roman Catholic Church ?  Especially the Roman part.....it was common practice in the Roman Empire....(and maybe other empires in those days?)

Edited by lightly

On 10/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, Cake or Death said:

Honestly curious, I don't know that much about religious texts (bible etc) but in reading a bit, it does seem apparent that Jesus indicated he would come back during his follower's life times.  But beyond that, what exactly do Christians think he is waiting for?  Like is there a specific reason he would just arbitrarily pick the "right" time?

You are thinking of one major version of Christianity, and not all Christians believe in some kind of "Second Coming." I, on the other hand, am waiting for the Jewish messiah, not because I follow the Ebionite's version of Christianity, but because a major event has started, which is the gathering of exiles. So, is the rebuilding of Israel the Third Temple...

Just now, magnum mysterium said:

You are thinking of one major version of Christianity, and not all Christians believe in some kind of "Second Coming." I, on the other hand, am waiting for the Jewish messiah, not because I follow the Ebionite's version of Christianity, but because a major event has started, which is the gathering of exiles. So, is the rebuilding of Israel the Third Temple...

Have you seen that television show Dig?  It uses that as the theme of the show.  Very creative the way they presented it.