Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is Jesus so late?

Cake or Death

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

While this is true that there are those of faith who aren't crazy with it. I get the feeling that this idea of one's own self-importance plays a heavy part. That whole "I am chosen", "God loves me." "If I pray......" etc. There is a bit of self centeredness in that. I can't say that all Christians are bad, I've got respect for at least 3 on the forum. Most of the time it seem that the fringe element is around. Those who take it way too seriously. 

There is the other side of that too that I saw growing up, the fear of death because they did not think they were good enough to get in to heaven.  One of my aunts actually said once, "Oh my, I am having too much fun, I am going to burn in hell."  Her fun that she was referring to was having a drink, smoking a cigarette and telling jokes with her friends that she rarely saw.  I was too young to know whether that also included a liaison with a man she wasn't married to or not, but she was single so it didn't matter to anyone in the family, just her church.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I wont do the work for you and the reason is that I don't believe you are acting in good faith here. In fact I'm sure you are just waiting to hit me with some old apologetics.

Yeah, just like I figured, you don't know what you're talking a bout. Smoke and mirrors!!

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's how religions work. Give people an imaginary problem and an imaginary solution. Toss in some hellfire consequences for disobedience. Boom, shake and bake religion.

YHWH

That's why you shouldn't believe in Babylonian fake religion.

1 hour ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Yeah. Yours is the only  real one out of thousands. Right?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

All religions are fake. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, larryp said:

Yeah, just like I figured, you don't know what you're talking a bout. Smoke and mirrors!!

Let me give you one link you can ponder over: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Bible

I will even give you this fun one as a bonus: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Why_can't_I_own_a_Canadian%3F

So when you come back and show me how slavey is moral maybe we can continue the "discusssion". Sticking to one example should be easy right ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Jesus, if he existed as a mortal man, was killed. That's why he's "late." He ain't coming back.

Since Christ called himself the Son of Man, humanity will suffer the same painful death because people rejected the messenger of God and religion as if they rejected intelligent life.

But with each race, the number of saints and enlightened ones is growing and there will come a moment when they will be able to crush the whole human inferiority and create a new harmonious race on earth(and the surviving people of our race will remain at the level of naked aborigines)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, rashore said:

Oh, I dunno. Christianity can have it's good points and followers too, just like most faiths and religions. Some folks just get weird about it, which can turn out to be unfortunate.

I know some Christians that accept the good and bad in their bible, and do try to be a follower of Christ instead of a cherry-picker of the bible. Good folks that don't just love the light, but can keep faith despite the dark. It's not my faith, but it works for them.

Humanity itself is an ego based institution.  It's about me, it has always been about me, it will always be...about me.  Oh, but...it's about you too...but yeah...it's about me.

What Christianity is supposed to be about is how it isn't really about me or you at all, it's about Him who loved you and me enough to die for our sins.  And He taught us to love each other as we love ourselves...so...that brings it back around to...yeah, it's about me...but it is about you too, so, I put you above me just as He put us above himself.  That is the 'deeper' spiritual belief that really supersedes the 'miracle factor belief' of the religion.  It's about helping each other basically by caring about each other and that is a good thing...

The truth is...if one just takes Christianity on it's face, the vast majority of Christians are really decent people who would help you anyway they could.  The problem with Christianity has never really been the Belief Factor....it has been ...the money...factor, which is quite ironic.  The Money Factor has made the church into The Market Place that caused Jesus to literally lash out at the partakers thereof.  It's all for sale...

...and if one looks deeper into the aspect of the belief...what one finds is that (I think it is in Numbers OT) the High Priest issued an entire list of Do Nots for the people which was given to him by God himself.  No working on the sabbath.  If one's Ox works on the Sabbath kill it.  Do not suffer homosexuals, and on and on and on...and...the biggy..give the first ten percent of your work to God...i.e.  The Temple.  What Christianity has done is sold it's followers the belief that the 'list' is irrelevant because Jesus changed all of that...except...they still hold dearly to the 'give a tenth of your earnings to God'  i.e.  The Church.  Hence...The Money Factor.

My Grandfather was a preacher.  He told his congregation that somebody told him he needed to put a system in place for collecting money.  He said they didn't really have a system, they just pass the plate and if anyone wants to give they do.  And that's just the way it was...

Then end result of all that though is...you have a power based, money based, entity, called the church that collectively ....supposedly...belongs to the 'people'...but in reality it's a business and it belongs to itself and like it or not...the church has become a 'club' that members belong to...and the belief twisting goes on from there...it's all about the money, it will always be about the money because ....Humanity is an ego based institution in and of itself...it's all about me...it's always been about me...it will always be about me...   

• Like 5

15 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Jesus, if he existed as a mortal man, was killed. That's why he's "late." He ain't coming back.

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

7:13—14
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(King_James)/Daniel

1 hour ago, Coil said:

But with each race, the number of saints and enlightened ones is growing and there will come a moment when they will be able to crush the whole human inferiority and create a new harmonious race on earth(and the surviving people of our race will remain at the level of naked aborigines)

:o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coil said:

Quoting the bible does absolutely nothing to validate the claims it contains.

It is a work of fiction.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 1:18 PM, XenoFish said:

If he existed he was a human sacrifice and following him is basically idolatry. Which is supposedly a no no.

YHWH

Do you know someone who bows down to graven images and statues?

On 4/1/2020 at 7:30 AM, onlookerofmayhem said:

Quoting the bible does absolutely nothing to validate the claims it contains.

It is a work of fiction.

. . . validated by archaeology, history, and historians.

• Haha 1

"A Jesus is never late, Frodo Baggins.  Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Let us assume that Jesus is a real historical person for the purposes of this exercise.

The fact of the matter is that Jesus said he would return after he rose from the dead, but the fact was that Judea was a powderkeg at that time.  So Jesus b*****ed off to Pakistan, as he didn't fancy being crucified again.  It should also be pointed out that crucifixion was often used, not as a means of execution by the Romans, but as a fixed period of torture for malefactors.  So, an injured Jesus, never placed in a tomb then escaped off to the Parthian Empire and India.  It is possible that he returned, briefly to die at Masada, where he may be the very old Prince of the House of David described in Josephus.

Careful Gandalf....you'll end up nicely crisp and toasted tied to a stake if they have their way... 

~

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, larryp said:

YHWH

Do you know someone who bows down to graven images and statues?

How many crucifixes you own? How many churches you've gone to that have them or some image of Jesus? Maybe even a depiction of god? 

• Like 1

^^^^  I own no images because they are very offensive to YHWH. I attend no churches that practice Babylonian worship. 

“You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be enticed to serve them, for I, YHWH your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion . . ."  Exodus 20:4-5

10 minutes ago, larryp said:

^^^^  I own no images because they are very offensive to YHWH. I attend no churches that practice Babylonian worship. 

“You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be enticed to serve them, for I, YHWH your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion . . ."  Exodus 20:4-5

What religion/faith are you?

On 3/31/2020 at 12:51 PM, rashore said:

Let's not forget the divine guidance that allows incest and various forms of rape. Oh, forced marriage too. And plundering and spoils of war....

Smoke and mirrors!!

Edited by larryp
the details

14 minutes ago, larryp said:

Smoke and mirrors!!

:lol:

Smoke Mirrors GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

This bud is for you but I am going to step outside and smoke it myself

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

:lol:

Smoke Mirrors GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

This bud is for you but I am going to step outside and smoke it myself

jmccr8

"Smoke and mirrors" is just what larry says when he cant give a good answer to an uncomfortable question. I have had quite a few such replies from larry. :innocent:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2020 at 1:57 AM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

"Smoke and mirrors" is just what larry says when he cant give a good answer to an uncomfortable question. I have had quite a few such replies from larry. :innocent:

Yeah, I agree, that was not an appropriate response. I was distracted that night.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, Cake or Death said:

Honestly curious, I don't know that much about religious texts (bible etc) but in reading a bit, it does seem apparent that Jesus indicated he would come back during his follower's life times.  But beyond that, what exactly do Christians think he is waiting for?  Like is there a specific reason he would just arbitrarily pick the "right" time?

I know there are the books of revelations or what have you, but those seem to be very different, like a really bad sequel to the bible lol.

Just my thoughts on it...

Why do you wait in line at a fast food drive through?

& yes I believe timing has EVERYTHING to do with it.

All day, everyday, EVERYTHING revolves around timing.

For example...

Had that homeless man waited 2 more seconds to cross the street he wouldn't have gotten hit.

I can't pay that bill until the check comes in.

I can't eat the chicken until it is fully cooked.

& why would I cut the grass before it needs it? 

Timing...

Sweet, sweet timing - things fall into place nicely if we learn to wait for the right time ; )

• Like 1

Why is Jesus so late?

Not so much late, as unlikely to have ever been here to begin with. Would be similar to expecting the return of Paul Bunyan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, Alchopwn said:

That seems like weakness to me.

Just came back around to this thread.  And you have every right to your opinion.  You listed quite an evaluation of a person you really have no factual knowledge of.  It sounds like a well worn opinion of others that maybe you DO know and who you are confident you are evaluating correctly.  The idea that you feel you are doing a stranger a favor by trying to bring them to belief in your principles and your worldview is commendable if it's truly done in a spirit of generosity.  Let me ask you though... how would you judge a stranger who listened to you express an opinion about some topic that you believe totally and then they began to give you chapter and verse on why you are not only wrong but potentially a weak fool who lets others take advantage of him?  Do you see how that might be a little offensive or at a minimum, seem arrogant? 

I've read a lot of your posts and you don't strike me as somebody who talks a lot of BS.  What you say, you seem to believe.  All I'm saying is that kind of respect for other individuals, even those you feel are in error, weak or misguided, is how I try to approach a world full of individuals who don't share my beliefs but who I believe have every right to their own worldview.  That's how I choose to treat people who reciprocate.    Those who can't get past the conviction that I'm some kind of fool should at least bear no grudge in passing.

• Like 1