Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK school becomes first to scrap term times

Still Waters

A month might have passed since the long summer break, but for many working parents any relief at having their offspring safely ensconced back in the classroom is eclipsed by the stress of the looming half term.

For Sarah Golden, however, there will be no navigating expensive childcare or escalating screen time during the next school holiday. No juggling work deadlines with moaning youngsters, or begging the grandparents to babysit. While other children are running amok, Sarah’s five-year-old son Chase will be at school.

He attends Shrewsbury Prepatoria, the first school in England to scrap term times and open its doors all year round.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7530461/Headmistress-whos-cancelled-school-holidays-parents-say-godsend.html

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/school-scraps-holidays-children-parents-102520386.html

I can see this happening now that both parents work these days. I see earlier school start times and more after school activities. I see them spending more time in school and less time on video games. 

Im against this idea. Imagine when you was a kid, and could wait for half term. And your parents had to go through them stresses. And has a parent I would enjoy all time the world to be with my kids, because you don't know what's around the corner.

18 hours ago, RoseDancer said:

I can see this happening now that both parents work these days. I see earlier school start times and more after school activities. I see them spending more time in school and less time on video games. 

And all the time, teachers get paid less and less for more and more work. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

Its called inflation.

No, it isn't. It's idiots who don't bother to understand the work teachers put in and don't understand that education is worth investing in. 

In my current job, I work half the hours I did as a teacher, with only 2 fewer weeks holiday a year, and get paid half as much again. Why would anyone choose to be a teacher unless it's all they can get? Are those the people we want teaching tomorrow's adults? 

• Like 1

As a pupil I longed for the school holidays.  As a former teacher I also longed for my school holidays.  As either a pupil or a teacher, I loved school so much - not -  that I couldn't wait to get away from it!  Many former teachers I speak to  claim to have loved their profession, clearly  I am not one of those.

I haven't been able to access the web pages given in the OP (I refuse to let these people run amok on my computer with cookies, any more than I have to) but a major issue about scrapping school holidays does come to mind e.g. the detrimental effect on pupils of scrapping holidays due to the mayhem that scrapping school holidays will most assuredly bring.

Schools are already in chaos and getting worse by the day.  Mayhem can only have one effect upon people, and that is bad: mayhem has a seriously bad effect.  Any more disruption is merely going to make things worse.  I suggest that what people need, and not only children but adults too, is stability, not increasing disruption.  Disruption, to put it bluntly, drives people nuts.  So, I do not have any illusions about this school that is scrapping holidays is progressive.  It is more like the headteacher is, perhaps unwittingly, ambitious and trying to get promotion by making the school look progressive.

So let me get this straight ... you can take little Tarquin out in week three of school where they teach geometry of two dimensional shapes and perimeter. Crowded syllabus so you have a week on a topic and move on etc.

Tarquin comes back when the class in working on volume of 3D shapes. 

when does Tarquin learn perimeter? More work for the teacher to catch Tarquin up while at the same time teaching him and the rest of their class new material? 

• Thanks 1