Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal detectorists accused of stealing haul

Still Waters

A group of metal detectorists stole Anglo Saxon coins worth £3 million as well as "invaluable" ancient jewellery they found in a field before selling them on the black market, a court heard.

George Powell, 38, and Layton Davies, 51, are accused of failing to declare a priceless hoard of 1,000-year-old buried treasure they discovered on farmland in June 2015.

The pair along with Paul Wells, 60, and Simon Wicks, 57, went on trial on Thursday accused of conspiring to conceal the treasure at Worcester Crown Court.

Jurors were told all four were aware of the law which states buried treasure must be declared, but chose to ignore it and proceeded to sell the items in small batches to a number of customers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/03/metal-detectorists-accused-stealing-3m-haul-anglo-saxon-coins/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I can't blame them. I'd probably do the same thing, depending on what percent you get if you declare it.

Edited by moonman

On 10/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, moonman said:

I can't blame them. I'd probably do the same thing, depending on what percent you get if you declare it.

And you like them would be in court awaiting a prison sentence, the percentage they'd have got would have been all of it.

I hope they get a very long prison sentence, I'd have loved to have seen the crystal ball wound with gold it sounds fascinating. 

4 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

And you like them would be in court awaiting a prison sentence, the percentage they'd have got would have been all of it.

What do you mean, they get to keep 100% of the find even after they declare it? If that's the case, then yes I would declare it.

I assumed declaring it meant getting none of it, or a pittance.

Edited by moonman

9 hours ago, moonman said:

What do you mean, they get to keep 100% of the find even after they declare it? If that's the case, then yes I would declare it.

I assumed declaring it meant getting none of it, or a pittance.

They'd have got the full market value.