Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stress and Anxiety

Duke Wellington

32 minutes ago, Crikey said:

If somebody had good morals, ethics, integrity and decency, would they really want to reject Jesus?

Jesus said he wants friends, so if they get to the pearlies and doorman Peter asks "Are you chums of Jesus?" what will they say?

So, it seems like you are saying that only people who believe in jesus have good morals, ethics, integrity and decency.  Is that what you are saying? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

So, it seems like you are saying that only people who believe in jesus have good morals, ethics, integrity and decency.  Is that what you are saying? 

That's certainly how I read it.:rolleyes:

Peace Bro

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I was brought up in the Catholic Faith and I was Baptized as a child, but from the farthest back I can remember I have never felt any spiritual awaking in my heart...I am now a practicing Buddhist and have been for years.

Congrats for ditching Catholicism mate, we don't need ANY organised religion because Jesus said "You have ONE teacher, ME" (Matt 23:10)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

No, I'm asking the question why anybody with good morals, ethics, integrity and decency would want to reject Jesus who had exactly those attributes?..:whistle:

3 minutes ago, Crikey said:

No, I'm asking the question why anybody with good morals, ethics, integrity and decency would want to reject Jesus who had exactly those attributes?..:whistle:

Maybe because they should come from within if you're a decent person?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Congrats for ditching Catholicism mate, we don't need ANY organised religion because Jesus said "You have ONE teacher, ME" (Matt 23:10)

No you don't need an organized religion, I have no religion only a path to follow as I walk through life.

Peace

14 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Maybe you need to define what you mean by "reject Jesus".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crikey said:

How do you know for certain, without any doubt, with all your heart, that what you said above is true beyond all possible shadows of doubt?

Peace

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe you need to define what you mean by "reject Jesus".

Well I'm just curious as to why Manwon became a Buddhist after catholicism road-blocked him from Jesus? Hey Manwon why didn't you simply bypass the catholic church to get to Jesus?

PS- I like Buddha, he said some good stuff, so do you think Jesus said some good stuff too?

22 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Well I'm just curious as to why Manwon became a Buddhist after catholicism road-blocked him from Jesus? Hey Manwon why didn't you simply bypass the catholic church to get to Jesus?

PS- I like Buddha, he said some good stuff, so do you think Jesus said some good stuff too?

I think the intent of Christianity concerning the manner in which you live your life is fine, but what I don't agree with is that Jesus was the son of some omnipotent deity Christians call God. I beleive that Jesus was a very wise man who like Buddha tried to give humanity a path to follow. The thing I don't beleive about Jesus, is all the miracles that he was suppose to have preformed. To me this is Shamanism and I do not beleive in magic or miracles. I beleive that everything we need to succeed in life can be found within us, such as:  

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.  Buddha

“What we think, we become.“ Buddha

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Buddhism will change its beliefs according to facts.

That's pretty unique in a religion and IMHO deserves respect.

The examination is rooted in the personal story of the Dalai Lama. During his secluded training as a child in Tibet, he would gaze at the night sky through a telescope on the roof of the Potala Palace. He looked at the moon with such intensity he realized the shadows and asperities on its surface contradicted the Tibetan belief that it was lit from within. He took his findings to his tutors.

“When I told my tutors of my interest in science, they replied that it made sense,” said the Dalai Lama during his welcome speech to the conference. “However, although we have an interest in science, that doesn’t mean we have to devote all our energy to it. I spend the majority of my time in meditation on love, compassion and wisdom, which is the source of my interest in science.”

https://www.dalailama.com/news/2013/where-science-and-religion-coexist

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crikey said:

Yup, it's a question of odds, and the odds are that Christians have a helluva better chance of making it through the pearlies than anybody else..:D

Right Kid?

"Right"

Because the buybull says so.

2 hours ago, Crikey said:

Why would anyone with good morals accept a morally bankrupt religion?

3 hours ago, Crikey said:

If somebody had good morals, ethics, integrity and decency, would they really want to reject Jesus?

Jesus said he wants friends, so if they get to the pearlies and doorman Peter asks "Are you chums of Jesus?" what will they say?

But that's not what I was getting at!

Basically, I am interested as to whether you, like some other Christians, think that just a belief in Jesus is enough to get you to heaven, or, whether that belief needs to be accompanied with virtuous deeds, thoughts, words and actions?

The early gnostic Christians went through long years of preparation before being introduced to their own divine nature - God. 

The early Church said, don't worry about that, just believe in Christ, and our dogma, (on pain of death) thereby dumbing down humanity on a scale only recently matched when Boris was elected lol...

And btw, just to try and keep this thread on topic, does your belief in Jesus make you a less stressful person? You seem a chilled kind of guy!

36 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Basically, I am interested as to whether you, like some other Christians, think that just a belief in Jesus is enough to get you to heaven, or, whether that belief needs to be accompanied with virtuous deeds, thoughts, words and actions?

The early Church said, don't worry about that, just believe in Christ, and our dogma, (on pain of death) thereby dumbing down humanity on a scale only recently matched when Boris was elected lol...

And btw, just to try and keep this thread on topic, does your belief in Jesus make you a less stressful person? You seem a chilled kind of guy!

Forget all that "faith and belief" mumbo-jumbo and just think Jesus THE MAN, you either like him or you don't..:D

I like him because he was one tough cookie who had the same tough world-rejecting ideals as me (I'm an ex-convict, a 3-month vigilante rap in 2002), and his toughness downloads into me and all other Christians which is why we're not the least bit stressed, so if he works for us he could work for others.

PS- What's wrong with Boris? I like him because he's as tough as me and Jesus, and with the backing of the Brit public he sent Theresa May scurrying back to the kitchen and trashed Corbyn in the general election..:D

Edited by Crikey

10 hours ago, Crikey said:

So, you make an assumption that  someone who chooses to follow a different path than the one taught in any christian sect makes them wrong?  I can't speak for @Manwon Lender, but I can speak for myself, Buddhism makes more sense than christianity.  A lot less cognitive dissonance and a LOT less judgement.  So to me, a person you describe as having "good morals, ethics, integrity and decency" would be less likely to follow any of the "Jesus" sects because there are so many ridiculous rules that go against morals, ethics, integrity and decency.  I am not blaming Jesus or your god, I am blaming the people who use Jesus to control and manipulate people and the people who allow themselves to follow someone else's religion without question.  If you don't belong to a specific christian sect, then why get your panties in a wad over someone who tells you he was raised Catholic, then chose Buddhism as an adult?  (a fully functioning, thinking adult able to make his own choices)

P.S.  I don't know what Jesus said because his name is used in so many lies.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Some good advice here on coping with stress and anxiety, but I'm compelled to offer that the simplest and most effective method, as well as being the one any cognitive behavioral therapist would likely recommend, is to simply identify the responsible stressors and eliminate or at least reduce them. Identifying the true underlying cause of your anxiety is half the battle. Maybe more than half. 

As a combat veteran who went through the whole PTSD thing, I can attest that this method is usually the most effective, at least with PTSD sufferers. Many of us were unaware for a longtime what was at the root of the manifestations of the anxiety and hyper vigilance we experienced. Sounds too simple I know, but the mind and it's inherent defense mechanisms often do a great job of trying to protect us from what's ailing it by blocking our recognition of our stressors.

Just my two cents. 

I am also a Combat Veteran who spent 23 years in the US Army, in addition I also suffer from PTSD. However, these forms of therapy have not been effective for me, but with medication I do get bye very well.

Thanks for your Service.

Peace

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

a person you describe as having "good morals, ethics, integrity and decency" would be less likely to follow any of the "Jesus" sects because there are so many ridiculous rules that go against morals, ethics, integrity and decency..

Like I said, FORGET "sects" and their half-baked silliness and just focus on Jesus the man..:D

The early Christians got it right-

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Like I said, FORGET "sects" and their half-baked silliness and just focus on Jesus the man..:D

The early Christians got it right-

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2)

I already told you that I don't have anyway of knowing who "Jesus the man" was. 

Hey you ex-Army guys who had a rough time, here's a bit of bible advice you could try just to see if it works- 

God said "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?

I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland" (Isaiah 43:18 )

In other words- "What happens in the field stays in the field"..:D

My two cents- being keyed up and alert all the time in the field is normal for any soldier in order to stay alive, but the problem is that it's difficult to switch off that feeling when safely back home because it's imprinted on the subconscious. Suggestion- perhaps hypnotherapy might help where the hypnotist could say something like "Forget the former things, don't dwell on the past" to put the subconscious to rest?

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I already told you that I don't have anyway of knowing who "Jesus the man" was. 

He can be found in any slimline gospel like this one for a few pennies from bookstores or free from Christian groups, and can be read in less than a day..:D

It's a POWER thing guaranteed to sluice away stress and anxiety-

"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power"- (1 Thess 1:5)

gosp-john.jpg

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Crikey said:

Forget all that "faith and belief" mumbo-jumbo and just think Jesus THE MAN, you either like him or you don't..:D

I like him because he was one tough cookie who had the same tough world-rejecting ideals as me (I'm an ex-convict, a 3-month vigilante rap in 2002), and his toughness downloads into me and all other Christians which is why we're not the least bit stressed, so if he works for us he could work for others.

PS- What's wrong with Boris? I like him because he's as tough as me and Jesus, and with the backing of the Brit public he sent Theresa May scurrying back to the kitchen and trashed Corbyn in the general election..:D

So I am assuming that you don't believe that virtuous behaviour is a prerequisite to going to heaven?

3 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

So I am assuming that you don't believe that virtuous behaviour is a prerequisite to going to heaven?

All true Christians automatically do "virtuous behaviour" because it comes naturally, otherwise they wouldn't be true Christians..:P

But for nonchristians, being a goody-two-shoes counts for zilch in God's eyes because they've rejected JC, and no way hozay will J-rejecters make it through the pearlies or it'd be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood".

PS- if they at least liked Jesus a little bit they're in with a chance.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crikey said:

All true Christians automatically do "virtuous behaviour" because it comes naturally, otherwise they wouldn't be true Christians..:P

But for nonchristians, being a goody-two-shoes counts for zilch in God's eyes because they've rejected JC, and no way hozay will J-rejecters make it through the pearlies or it'd be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood".

PS- if they at least liked Jesus a little bit they're in with a chance.

You sound like you almost believe this stuff.

6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You sound like you almost believe this stuff.

You said in another thread that you like the excitement of gambling mate, so naturally you get a kick out of putting your life on the line by gambling that there's no heaven..Good luck with that..:lol: 

"I have set my life upon a cast, and will stand the hazard of the die"- Shakesp's Richard III before the battle that killed him