Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stress and Anxiety

Duke Wellington

On 3/26/2020 at 10:46 PM, Crazy Horse said:

The fact still remains, atheism answers none of the big questions and others no hope, and therefore is a depressing perspective upon life.

Actually, it answers ALL of the big questions.  Hope?  Hope is for those who can't.  If you can change something...DO IT...if you cannot...don't worry about it.   Nothing depressing about that at all.

I hope it doesn't rain....:hmm:  How ridiculous!  We don't control the weather...only a fool would believe they could.  So what does 'hoping' it doesn't rain add to any equation?  It doesn't.  If it rains it rains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like that! The difference is science can give us forecasts of the weather! Not so much for religious beliefs! It's on a whole different spectrum. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, joc said:

Actually, it answers ALL of the big questions.  Hope?  Hope is for those who can't.  If you can change something...DO IT...if you cannot...don't worry about it.   Nothing depressing about that at all.

I hope it doesn't rain....:hmm:  How ridiculous!  We don't control the weather...only a fool would believe they could.  So what does 'hoping' it doesn't rain add to any equation?  It doesn't.  If it rains it rains.

god made it rain= god gives small children leukemia.. you should wake up and smell the roses mate! :D

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

god made it rain= god gives small children leukemia.. you should wake up and smell the roses mate! :D

Well sounds like you're still mad at God...

Yes, rain is holy in away as well, it cleanses & purifies things, which we all desperately need right now ; )

7 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Entities are only a figment of your imagination...

...I smell the roses every day!   B)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tuco's Gas said:

Not only a total and permanent loss of cred, but self-righteous holier than thou claptrap like that makes me understand why history is filled with many examples of Christian zealots meeting bad ends. LOL.  Maybe it's the  recovering Catholic in me,  but when someone tells me that sorta stuff to my face, it takes considerable willpower not to beeyatch slap them.

I have the same reaction, though I was beaten with the bible by Southern Baptists.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 12:19 AM, drakonwick said:

Once you talk like that, you have lost all credibility to me. The hypocrisy of it all is prevalent! So you can just cut out all the religious "Holier than Thou" nonsense, it's meaningless.

50/50 I see what you mean but at the same time the believers and Christians who attend regularly do have a sense of something to hold on to and to put their time and faith in.

I'd have to say for those who do not believe 

And for those who do

To each their own, both are equal, both are correct for whatever reasons ; )

Edited by Jujo-jo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jujo-jo said:

50/50 I see what you mean but at the same time the believers and Christians who attend regularly do have a sense of something to hold on to and to put their time and faith in.

To each their own! I will personally never berate them for doing so! I draw the line at personal religious nonsense.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, Crazy Horse said:

The fact still remains, atheism answers none of the big questions and others no hope, and therefore is a depressing perspective upon life.

Hi Crazy Horse

I would suggest that your take on how atheists see life is beyond your capacity to understand anything that doesn't fit into your isolating point of view and that can be rectified should you choose to be less biased.

jmccr8

On 10/4/2019 at 2:55 PM, RabidMongoose said:

I have been examining how stress and anxiety works and thought I would post my insights into turning them off for those interested. If you have your own methods please share.

Cold Showers: The stress of cold showers activates an area of the limbic system that takes the edge off stress and anxiety. It doesnt completely shut them down, but dampens them down quite a lot. Repeated cold showers every morning hardens a person up to stress and anxiety so they have a higher pain threshold.

Sensory Overload: During periods of stress and anxiety our minds narrow to a focus. The focus being whatever is making us stressed and anxious. We can reverse that by making ourselves aware of everything our eyes can see, our ears can hear, our noses can smell, our tongues can taste, and our skin can feel, all at the same time. If that is hard start with the vision and smell at the same time. Our brains cannot do anxiety and stress while subjected to sensory overload. It struggles to do both at once.

Smelling Lemons: The smell of lemons has been shown to directly affect the activity of the limbic system to turn off stress and anxiety.

the supplement GABA helps me.  always consult your physician before trying a new supplement. 

On March 27, 2020 at 9:34 PM, joc said:

I don't see anything all that WRONG !  with a little hope ,or a little wish, I do it all the time...it doesn't mean my little .or big, hopes and wishes will change anything.  I understand that.   But, no harm done?  I hope you can understand my point of view ? :P.        And.... I hope the wind stays calmer today...it's been vicious lately!  :lol:

.  . As for your responce about atheism... "Actually, it answers ALL of the big questions."

I don't get it....how so?  Does atheism answer why it rains? Or...where the singularity which became the universe came from? Or why the Beatles were such a great band? Or why laughter is so precious? 

Not that belief in god answers any of those questions either... but I don't see atheism as any sort of answer to anything.   ..??

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, lightly said:

I don't see anything all that WRONG !  with a little hope ,or a little wish, I do it all the time...it doesn't mean my little .or big, hopes and wishes will change anything.  I understand that.   But, no harm done?  I hope you can understand my point of view ? :P.        And.... I hope the wind stays calmer today...it's been vicious lately!  :lol:

It's just a philosophical point lightly! :)    Why hope for the wind to be anything at all?  It is what it is.  The philosophical point is to note what is and enjoy it.  By hoping that reality might be something other than what is, we short-sheet our experience of the moment for what it truly is.  Two things cause stress and anxiety...living in the past, and living in the future.  If I hope the wind blows differently than how it is blowing than I am anticipating a time when the wind does what I want it to...I am not longer in the moment...I am living in the future...which doesn't even exist.  My philosophy is to live in the moment.  Because there is only one! ...and it's happening right now...while the wind or rain is doing whatever it is doing... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joc said:

It's just a philosophical point lightly! :)    Why hope for the wind to be anything at all?  It is what it is.  The philosophical point is to note what is and enjoy it.  By hoping that reality might be something other than what is, we short-sheet our experience of the moment for what it truly is.  Two things cause stress and anxiety...living in the past, and living in the future.  If I hope the wind blows differently than how it is blowing than I am anticipating a time when the wind does what I want it to...I am not longer in the moment...I am living in the future...which doesn't even exist.  My philosophy is to live in the moment.  Because there is only one! ...and it's happening right now...while the wind or rain is doing whatever it is doing... 

So, being beaten and robbed at this moment would cause no stress or anxiety?    Good to know.  :P

24 minutes ago, lightly said:

So, being beaten and robbed at this moment would cause no stress or anxiety?    Good to know.  :P

That is something within the realm of our ability to change.  I can change the situation by becoming the beat-er rather than the beat-ee...:gun:

• Like 1