Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
RabidMongoose

Stress and Anxiety

118 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Jujo-jo

Below is my response to a pervious post under a different heading. I thought some may find it helpful here that may not have seem it in the other forum.

Anxiety plays a huge role in the people's lives that it effects and there is no quick fix. But I think that by identifying why it is brought on is beneficial.

I have been able to identify the reason whether it is caused by institutional gut feelings that are dead on, fears, fears that are triggered, substances (such as weed for me, cant do that) caffeine, B-12, etc. Or p.m.s (back in the day) or be it caused by an upcoming event.

By identifying the cause at the time serves as a tool. I am now able to put my emotions in order. When I take the time to identify the cause this gives me the upper hand. I have less confusion which in turn helps me to organize, not only my emotions but my thoughts as well. At this point I am able to reason with my self.

Often times I find that my anxiety is brought onbecasue of my expectations, I expect myself and at other times, other people expect me to do things that I know I can not at the time, my attitude and solution is this... take a number and stand in line.

Timing is everything and if the time is wrong for me or for me to do something that someone else thinks I should, then I wait it out until the time is right. I do not force myself to work against the times anymore.

By me doing this it has cut my anxiety down, I would say by at least 40%.

Another thing I have done is distance myself from certain individuals, mostly friends that were pulling me this way and that way and I also found myself agreeing to things they wanted me to do, only for the simple fact that they didnt want to do it alone; then I generally found that anxiety set in becasue I was wanting to be somewhere else.

By not allowing myself to be put in these types of situationsthis alone, has cut my anxiety down at least 30% not only did I eliminate this situation and cause, I also eliminated those people trying to make me feel obligated or mean.

Outwitting anxiety is challenging but can turn your life around if you stick with it and stand up agaisnt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
qunaquna
On 10/4/2019 at 8:55 PM, RabidMongoose said:

I have been examining how stress and anxiety works and thought I would post my insights into turning them off for those interested. If you have your own methods please share.

Cold Showers: The stress of cold showers activates an area of the limbic system that takes the edge off stress and anxiety. It doesnt completely shut them down, but dampens them down quite a lot. Repeated cold showers every morning hardens a person up to stress and anxiety so they have a higher pain threshold.

Sensory Overload: During periods of stress and anxiety our minds narrow to a focus. The focus being whatever is making us stressed and anxious. We can reverse that by making ourselves aware of everything our eyes can see, our ears can hear, our noses can smell, our tongues can taste, and our skin can feel, all at the same time. If that is hard start with the vision and smell at the same time. Our brains cannot do anxiety and stress while subjected to sensory overload. It struggles to do both at once.

Smelling Lemons: The smell of lemons has been shown to directly affect the activity of the limbic system to turn off stress and anxiety.

 

 

When I used to have anxiety and panic attacks the last thing i wanted was more sensory overload, actually to offload the senses I need to focus on one thing, something to occupy my mind away from my surroundings. 

Also I found the hot bath to help a lot, I'd feel so safe and protected in a hot bath, like a child.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey

A very good way to get rid of stress and anxiety is to adopt a healthy mindset, so shopping around for a set of spiritual values might be a good idea. After all, you won't find many Christians suffering stress and anxiety, go figger..:D

Rel-d-mail-3-dec-2016.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, Crikey said:

After all, you won't find many Christians suffering stress and anxiety

What???   I have found christians to be more stressed and anxious than normal people.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

What???   I have found christians to be more stressed and anxious than normal people.

In that case they can't have been true Christians..:D

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, Crikey said:

In that case they can't have been true Christians..:D

I have only met a few that I would consider as close to true as possible in this society and they are still human and experience stress and anxiety.  If you believe your religion (or maybe you just want others to believe it) helps you have less stress, I would suggest that you are ignoring something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
59 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have only met a few that I would consider as close to true as possible in this society and they are still human and experience stress and anxiety.  If you believe your religion (or maybe you just want others to believe it) helps you have less stress, I would suggest that you are ignoring something.

Christians take knocks from life just like anybody else, but they know how to roll with the punches. For example Bear Grylls said "My Christian faith is my backbone", and he's absolutely fearless..:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
3 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Christians take knocks from life just like anybody else, but they know how to roll with the punches. For example Bear Grylls said "My Christian faith is my backbone", and he's absolutely fearless..:)

What about you?  Are you fearless like Bear Grylis?  I still don't think it has anything to do with religion, more to do with mindset, regardless of religion.  You can't blanket all christians with your personal experience or base it on something some famous person said.  Most I know are so afraid of burining in hell they have constant stress and anxiety.  Their lack of faith in themselves is exacerbated by their religion.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about you?  Are you fearless like Bear Grylis?  I still don't think it has anything to do with religion, more to do with mindset, regardless of religion.  You can't blanket all christians with your personal experience or base it on something some famous person said.  Most I know are so afraid of burining in hell they have constant stress and anxiety.  Their lack of faith in themselves is exacerbated by their religion.

Firstly, Christians have absolutely no fear that they'll burn in hell, why should they?..:D

Secondly, I used to be a wimp but after getting Jesus into my head some years ago I became the toughest person I know, so if it works for me it'll work for others. The trick is simply to LIKE Jesus, then you'll feel his power slowly begin downloading into you and you'll be able to say-

 

Edited by Crikey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
2 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Firstly, Christians have absolutely no fear that they'll burn in hell, why should they?..:D

Secondly, I used to be a wimp but after getting Jesus into my head some years ago I became the toughest person I know, so if it works for me it'll work for others. The trick is simply to LIKE Jesus, then you'll feel his power slowly begin downloading into you and you'll be able to say-

 

Firstly, every christian I know has fear of that every day because they are human and can't live up to the standards expected by the controllers of their church, or expected by the insanity of their minds.  You can say you are stronger because of jesus but it really has nothing to do with the religion, it has everything to do with your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Firstly, every christian I know has fear of that every day because they are human and can't live up to the standards expected by the controllers of their church, or expected by the insanity of their minds.  You can say you are stronger because of jesus but it really has nothing to do with the religion, it has everything to do with your mind.

Firstly many churches are useless anyway, that's why Jesus reminded us we don't need them when he said "You have one teacher, me"

Negative vibes will have people for breakfast if they haven't "mindmelded" with Jesus and got him into their heads to get rid of them.

He said- "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)

jesus-meld_zps86861c7d.jpg~original

Edited by Crikey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 hour ago, Crikey said:

In that case they can't have been true Christians..:D

Do you see how that is like witch trial logic??

If you're a Christian you will not be stressed.

If you're stressed then it's because your not a true Christian.

If she sinks she's not a witch but if she floats it proves she's a witch.

Like if someone is stressed it "proves" they are not a real Christian.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Do you see how that is like witch trial logic??

If you're a Christian you will not be stressed.

If you're stressed then it's because your not a true Christian.

If she sinks she's not a witch but if she floats it proves she's a witch.

Like if someone is stressed it "proves" they are not a real Christian.

I'm not sure what you're getting at mate..I like to think I'm a real Christian (but only God knows if I really am), all I know is that I'm kool, calm and goodnatured, with a healthy sense of humour and I fully accept that life is going to throw punches at us, so all we can do is keep smiling and-

"Take the pain"

Barnes.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
10 minutes ago, Crikey said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at mate..I like to think I'm a real Christian (but only God knows if I really am), all I know is that I'm kool, calm and goodnatured, with a healthy sense of humour and I fully accept that life is going to throw punches at us, so all we can do is keep smiling and-

"Take the pain"

Barnes.jpg

I was referring to your comment that I was quoting.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What???   I have found christians to be more stressed and anxious than normal people.

It's that whole fear of damnation and hellfire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey

Like I said, it's not Christians who fear damnation and hellfire, why should they?..:D

PS- a few years ago I went into the AOL "Depression and Anxiety" chatroom to see if I could help, but as soon as I asked them if they'd tried Christianity as a possible "cure", most of them started rocking and rolling, screaming "DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!", it was like an insane asylum in there! Eventually the AOL Host had to step in and say to me "You've seen what they're like, you're wasting your time with them", so I walked out.

Whole lotta shakin' going on-"The demons believe in God and tremble" (James 2:19)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
55 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Like I said, it's not Christians who fear damnation and hellfire, why should they?..:D

PS- a few years ago I went into the AOL "Depression and Anxiety" chatroom to see if I could help, but as soon as I asked them if they'd tried Christianity as a possible "cure", most of them started rocking and rolling, screaming "DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!", it was like an insane asylum in there! Eventually the AOL Host had to step in and say to me "You've seen what they're like, you're wasting your time with them", so I walked out.

Whole lotta shakin' going on-"The demons believe in God and tremble" (James 2:19)

 

Should people try Islam to cure depression and anxiety ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

People who are depressed and anxious can try rethinking their responses to their environment and identify their circular fear based thoughts and choose to change their thinking to cure depression and anxiety. 

The thing about @Crikey s version of chrisitanity is "God did everything good", "I can't take credit for any thing good because without god I am just a lowly human destined to burn forever" is that they are the ones doing the work, they are the ones changing their life but they are still so messed up they can't allow that they are able without some imaginary friend to help.  In reality what they usually have is someone else telling them how to think and what Jesus said, because none of us were there.  We don't know if Jesus even existed, much less what he or she said (yes some people knock on doors to explain why Jesus was a woman). 

If you find it helps you, good.  Don't decide it will help anyone else.  Let them come to you, you have no idea what anyone else needs and no way to justify telling people how to fix something you know nothing about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Religion has too much baggage. Sure casting your worries onto "god" is just avoidance. Stress and anxiety are normal, it's the excess that is the problem. Even depression can make someone more empathetic. 

https://www.jordanharbinger.com/the-surprising-benefits-of-being-depressed/

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
52 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Should people try Islam to cure depression and anxiety ?

Well, Mohammed is a corpse in a box somewhere but Jesus is not, so take your pick..:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Well, Mohammed is a corpse in a box somewhere but Jesus is not, so take your pick..:D

I think depressed people should follow Islam.

And Jesus corpse is mostly decomposed somewhere while Mohammed lives eternal.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
48 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

 We don't know if Jesus even existed...If you find it helps you, good.  Don't decide it will help anyone else..

if Jesus didn't exist, who was it the entire population of Israel saw, Mary Poppins?..:D

As for him being a possible cure for anxiety, people can at least try him, and if he doesn't work for them they can try Tinkerbell the Fairy or whoever instead.

PS- Here's a vid of me under my other screenname 'PoorOldSpike', play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect and note the kool confident body language-

"..as a Christian,thank God you bear that name....that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16, Col 4:12)

 

 

Edited by Crikey
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

And Jesus corpse is mostly decomposed somewhere while Mohammed lives eternal.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Crikey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
10 minutes ago, Crikey said:

if Jesus didn't exist, who was it the entire population of Israel saw, Mary Poppins?..:D

As for him being a possible cure for anxiety, people can at least try him, and if he doesn't work for them they can try Tinkerbell the Fairy or whoever instead.

PS- Here's a vid of me under my other screenname 'PoorOldSpike', play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect and note the kool confident body language-

"..as a Christian,thank God you bear that name....that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16, Col 4:12)

 

 

Probably do the same reason there are accounts of people seeing Zeus and Fairies :rofl:.

But you miss my point, I'm what you sound like to others.

Islam is a good cure for depression. If Islam does not cure your depression then you are not a true follower of Islam.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guyver
On 10/5/2019 at 4:35 AM, LightAngel said:

 

When you have your weekend, then turn your phone off - in fact......... turn everything off!

And just find peace within yourself my friend.

Easier to say than for some to do I think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.