Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Cookie Monster

Stress and Anxiety

139 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Crazy Horse
38 minutes ago, Crikey said:

All true Christians automatically do "virtuous behaviour" because it comes naturally, otherwise they wouldn't be true Christians..:P

But for nonchristians, being a goody-two-shoes counts for zilch in God's eyes because they've rejected JC, and no way hozay will J-rejecters make it through the pearlies or it'd be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood".

PS- if they at least liked Jesus a little bit they're in with a chance.

 

 

I have to ask Crikey, what, or who, is a true Christian?

For example, take a lay Catholic, and a lay Anglican, both good guys, both believers in Christ - will they in your opinion both get into Heaven?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
11 minutes ago, Crikey said:

You said in another thread that you like the excitement of gambling mate, so naturally you get a kick out of putting your life on the line by gambling that there's no heaven..Good luck with that..:lol: 

"I have set my life upon a cast, and will stand the hazard of the die"- Shakesp's Richard III before the battle that killed him

The only thing I like with gambling, is collecting more than I spend, there is little else to like about it, and it isn't an easy task. But I think you have created a mental image of an afterlife ( I certainly believe it is real) that is perhaps a bit trite. We cannot imagine the workings of such a thing. St Peter's "pearly gates" are great material for jokes, though......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
14 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I have to ask Crikey, what, or who, is a true Christian?

For example, take a lay Catholic, and a lay Anglican, both good guys, both believers in Christ - will they in your opinion both get into Heaven?

Only God knows...Even Paul was man enough to say-  "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

Same with me, I've got the love of Jesus in my baby-blue eyes but that's no guarantee I'll make it through the pearlies..:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Only God knows...Even Paul was man enough to say-  "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

Same with me, I've got the love of Jesus in my baby-blue eyes but that's no guarantee I'll make it through the pearlies..:D

 "He that exalteth himself will be abased, and he who abaseth himself, will be exalted"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
Just now, Crikey said:

Only God knows...Even Paul was man enough to say-  "My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time" (1 Cor 4:3)

Same with me, I've got the love of Jesus in my baby-blue eyes but that's no guarantee I'll make it through the pearlies..:D

But you just said something about non-Christian goody-two-shoes, who didn't believe in JC, not making it through those Pearly Gates!

And now you are all non-judgemental, and not even sure whether you, as a good guy, a true believer in Christ, will even make the cut - so to speak? 

And, do you really think that God will decimate because a good guy, perhaps a saint in another tradition, didn't follow Jesus, but was perhaps born and brought-up with an Eastern Philosophy instead. Sounds to me like you are putting your prejudices onto God. Luckily, you are a good, moral guy, unfortunately, other folks of all traditions are not so enlightened...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
4 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

And, do you really think that God will decimate because a good guy, perhaps a saint in another tradition, didn't follow Jesus..

Yup, they'll go up the spout but don't take my word for it, Jesus said:-"Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )

So when anybody gets to the pearlies, the bouncer will ask them ONE question- "Are you a Christian?" and if they reply "No", he'll say-

"On yer bike mate"

bouncerzia34.png~original

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
2 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Yup, they'll go up the spout but don't take my word for it, Jesus said:-"Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )

So when anybody gets to the pearlies, the bouncer will ask them ONE question- "Are you a Christian?" and if they reply "No", he'll say-

"On yer bike mate"

bouncerzia34.png~original

 

As I say, it may even be, that you believe this stuff !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
3 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Yup, they'll go up the spout but don't take my word for it, Jesus said:-"Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )

So when anybody gets to the pearlies, the bouncer will ask them ONE question- "Are you a Christian?" and if they reply "No", he'll say-

"On yer bike mate"

bouncerzia34.png~original

 

I actually like to cycle...

What's the area outside the PGs like? Any good for mountain biking?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
10 minutes ago, Crikey said:

Yup, they'll go up the spout but don't take my word for it, Jesus said:-"Whoever's ashamed of me and my words, I'll be ashamed of him" (Mark 8:38 )

So when anybody gets to the pearlies, the bouncer will ask them ONE question- "Are you a Christian?" and if they reply "No", he'll say-

"On yer bike mate"

bouncerzia34.png~original

 

But seriously.

Personally, I am not ashamed of the words of Christ, in fact, I find them to be very inspiring, yet I would be hard-pushed to call myself a Christian.

So where does that leave me?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
15 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I would be hard-pushed to call myself a Christian.

I baulk at the idea that JC would call himself a Christian, It is very much a damaged word. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
10 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I baulk at the idea that JC would call himself a Christian, It is very much a damaged word. 

Personally, I don't need a book, nor a Church, to tell me what is right and what is wrong. Especially a book that was put together as a political tool, i.e., to fleece and control the sheep. A system that took away the actual experience of knowing the Divine, (gnosis) and replaced it with a dead, emasculated ideas and dogma. Although that's not to say that there isn't some good stuff within the Bible - there has to be something sweet, something true, to attract the masses.

I listen to my heart, I pray, I love creation, and I have a good relationship with God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
43 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

I actually like to cycle...

What's the area outside the PGs like? Any good for mountain biking?

 

 

JC is a hard act to follow over the high cols but stick with him if you can..:D

Jesus said - "I've beaten the world" (John 16:33)

team-jesus.jpg~original

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
41 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

But seriously.

Personally, I am not ashamed of the words of Christ, in fact, I find them to be very inspiring, yet I would be hard-pushed to call myself a Christian.

So where does that leave me?

 

When you sign on for the stage, the commissaires won't let you ride if your name's not on the 'Christian Team Sheet"..:D

rel-jesus-scroll-a_zpsahqmowxs.jpg~origi

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crikey
15 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

Personally, I don't need a book, nor a Church, to tell me what is right and what is wrong..

Good for you mate, Jesus said "You have ONE teacher, ME"..:D

So forget all that church mumbo-jumbo and remember Jesus's simple message- "If you're my mates I won't leave you to rot in a grave or end up as a pot of ashes on the mantelpiece".

"All in the graves shall come out.." (John 5:28/29)

BOIINNG!

rel-boing.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
11 minutes ago, Crikey said:

 

When you sign on for the stage, the commissaires won't let you ride if your name's not on the 'Christian Team Sheet"..:D

rel-jesus-scroll-a_zpsahqmowxs.jpg~origi

 

 

You will find me on the 'Heretics Team Sheet'. :D

And why have you got a picture of Robert Powell, is he the team manager now?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
51 minutes ago, Crikey said:

 

JC is a hard act to follow over the high cols but stick with him if you can..:D

Jesus said - "I've beaten the world" (John 16:33)

team-jesus.jpg~original

You're telling me...

Even the geezer on the motorbike is struggling to keep-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IDunThinkSoBish

I find that Caffeine in excess can straight up cause it. In some cases it's caused from focusing on people or things that make you mad, and in others it's neurochemical. Sleep, a tylenol, a sedative of some kind, a movie, music, something enjoyable. do something. walk, or just INTEND to stop being anxiuos and try

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jujo-jo
On 3/6/2020 at 11:19 PM, IDunThinkSoBish said:

I find that Caffeine in excess can straight up cause it. In some cases it's caused from focusing on people or things that make you mad, and in others it's neurochemical. Sleep, a tylenol, a sedative of some kind, a movie, music, something enjoyable. do something. walk, or just INTEND to stop being anxiuos and try

Weed can have the same effect I know lots of people who have quit smoking  and using it all together due to it causing anxiety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 3/6/2020 at 9:19 PM, IDunThinkSoBish said:

I find that Caffeine in excess can straight up cause it. In some cases it's caused from focusing on people or things that make you mad, and in others it's neurochemical. Sleep, a tylenol, a sedative of some kind, a movie, music, something enjoyable. do something. walk, or just INTEND to stop being anxiuos and try

I found that the voice in my head telling me "You can't change those people, you can only change what and how you think of them."  And taking an asprin when I started feeling anxious worked wonders.  Asprin is just about the only thing I will take and often my anxiety would manifest in some weird pain until I recognized it for anxiety, that is how I started with the asprin.

There is a lot of mental work that can be done to help relieve anxiety, however some people do need to address their health first, or they are prescribed medications that cause the anxiety somehow.  There is no one size fits all kind of solution.  But learning to recognize the triggers is a good place to start.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
Posted (edited)
On January 27, 2020 at 7:52 PM, Guyver said:

I think stress and anxiety are a cause of depression for people.  I’m not talking “clinical depression” but just general depression.  This is a wide topic...and includes situational depression.  A person can be depressed (more than normal sadness) - whatever normal means - by certain situations.....especially the repetitive type that seem to have no short term solution.

Anyway.....when I found myself situationally depressed and reached out to a friend, a wise person, he told me to embrace my angels and slay my demons.  You may interpret that as you see fit.

As a part of embracing my angels I brought music back into my life and began playing guitar seriously again and began covering songs.  I’ll be going to do an open mic at a cool place on Wednesday night.  Anyway, that plus golf has been really positive for me.  But, whatever the thing is you like to do....you should do that....plus find new things to do, but most importantly, just keep doing.  Don’t allow yourself to get weak and die if you can help it.  Sometimes I have to make myself go excercise....because I just don’t want to do it.  But it’s good for you....so do it.  It helps.

PS. As does regular bathing, skin care, and eating fruit in your diet...especially cantaloupe.  Just my oh two.  Peace.

Yup... A quiet walk helps me, some birds singing or the sound of a gentle breeze is ok....But YES, playing my guitar, and singing, is my go to thing to leave the world behind ...it gives me peace.   I was in the hospital a couple years ago (I'll spare you the details)..."we" were not allowed to go outside...but I sort of begged the administrator,who was also my head dr., and he let me go outside. My wife :wub:got my guitar for me and I played a couple of my songs, outside under the sky.....when I went back in ,a nurse checked my blood pressure ,which had been dangerously high....and it was nearly normal  :)  

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
On 1/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, Crazy Horse said:

No, atheistic ideas are depressing because they offer no answers, no hope, and no guiding light.

You are depressed and wish for hope, you have no idea how an atheist really thinks, you project your own depression and excuses onto others.  Self responsibility goes a long way towards alleviating depression as one can recognize when their behavior is the problem, rather than blaming it on something or someone outside of their own head.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
On 1/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, Crikey said:

 

No, I'm asking the question why anybody with good morals, ethics, integrity and decency would want to reject Jesus who had exactly those attributes?..:whistle:

Probably because of the cognitive dissonance of the rule that someone 2000+ years ago died as a sacrifice to give me the option of believing he can remove my sins and the cognitive dissonance of the idea of original sin to begin with.  And my question is why would someone with a good thinking brain who already has good morals, ethics, integrity and decency want to give credit for that to some imaginary character, or some person who lived so long ago no one can prove he existed?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse
On 3/20/2020 at 6:00 PM, Desertrat56 said:

You are depressed and wish for hope, you have no idea how an atheist really thinks, you project your own depression and excuses onto others.  Self responsibility goes a long way towards alleviating depression as one can recognize when their behavior is the problem, rather than blaming it on something or someone outside of their own head.

I am far from being depressed, and I have no need to wish for hope, it is ingrained upon my DNA, after all, I have a very nice relationship with God and my inner divinity.

And what makes you think you know what is going on in my mind? You criticise me for one thing, then do that exact same thing!

Self responsibility does go a long way to alleviating depression, fear, ignorance et-al, that is something I have be speaking to for a very long time, yet this starts with your perception, attitude, thoughts, feelings and conscious actions and reactions.

The fact still remains, atheism answers none of the big questions and others no hope, and therefore is a depressing perspective upon life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
drakonwick
On 1/31/2020 at 3:13 AM, Crikey said:

All true Christians automatically do "virtuous behaviour" because it comes naturally, otherwise they wouldn't be true Christians..:P

But for nonchristians, being a goody-two-shoes counts for zilch in God's eyes because they've rejected JC, and no way hozay will J-rejecters make it through the pearlies or it'd be a case of "oops there goes the neighbourhood".

PS- if they at least liked Jesus a little bit they're in with a chance.

 

 

Once you talk like that, you have lost all credibility to me. The hypocrisy of it all is prevalent! So you can just cut out all the religious "Holier than Thou" nonsense, it's meaningless.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

The fact still remains, atheism answers none of the big questions and others no hope, and therefore is a depressing perspective upon life.

You don't know what atheism answers or doesn't answer because have made assumptions about what it is and how others think, as my assumptions of what you think based on what you have been saying.  You protest too much, I think.  You have a way of explaining the world in relation to your experiences and others have the same.  It is very freeing to not worry about some old man in some high place looking down judging you.  And it is also freeing to know that there is no magical help, so you have to be responsible for your own thoughts and actions, making it very easy to be the best you can for yourself and no one else, and sometimes when you think you aren't you don't have to be afraid to be human, you can cut yourself some slack and move on. 

Hope is for people who are afraid, or want someone to save them from themselves, it is a useless emotion.

 

11 hours ago, Crazy Horse said:

And what makes you think you know what is going on in my mind? You criticise me for one thing, then do that exact same thing!

So, the shoe is on the other foot and then you go and contradict yourself by the next paragraph that I quoted above.

 

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.