Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Legally haunted' house is on sale for $1.9M

UM-Bot

My grandmother owned a hotel and when she died my mother's younger sister ran it for a decade, then the older sister ran it.  Then it was turned into apartments and sold.  Later when the person who owned it died it was sold to a woman who turned it into a bed and breakfast.  The first thing she did is make up ghost stories about it.  Most of them were ridiculous as the building didn't exist until 1930, but she insisted she saw victorian women coming down the stairs.  She obviously did not look up the history.  You can go to her web site and she lists the history with the missing 50 years my family owned it because several of us publicly pointed out why we knew the stories were made up.  I would hate for her to be able to charge more for selling a haunted property that is not really haunted.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

There a pub not far from here I used to use when I was younger the old land lord moved out and a young couple moved in changed its name but it began to lose trade,then all of a sudden it was haunted and you could sleep in the haunted bedroom"if you dare" and business picked strange because it wasn't haunted all the time we used to go there .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They should some haunted filters to Zillow and Trulia

Number of Ghosts:

1 Ghost

2-5 Ghosts

6 or more ghosts

Poltergeist Activity Yes/No

• Haha 3

I do believe strange things can happen but the only one 'haunted' here is current owners and realtor obviously 'possessed' with greed. Supposedly Helen said after lawsuit she was 'taking ghosts with her'. Then why is price still inflated over 10x's. Everyone's concerned about childrens welfare..ghosts violently rocked bed every morning. Instead of getting the hell out..let's hope some rich idiot opens checkbook.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 2

Good chance it has paranormal activity but who are they thinking would spend that much money?

I actually heard popular paranormal investigator Zac Bagans bought a house that he investigated and found to be haunted. I can see where that would be interesting and exciting for an investigator to study in-depth.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

And what do we take away from this story ? 

That US county courts are staffed by complete morons. Including the judges. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I vaguely remember this one. The buyers weren't local- and had no idea the owners that initiated the haunt stuff had been building up a reputation for the place. So after moving in, they found out about it. And foggy recollection, there may have been stuff going on? But more like not liking moving into a house of local repute, or folks maybe popping by to try ghost hunting. Probably a mix of all of it.

Lovely property.

• Like 3

haunted sells, its still unproven any place is actually haunted but it still helps it sell....can I sue that our place was said to be haunted and isnt?

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can spend all the money in the world to stay in a "haunted' room,if you are not open to it you will never experience anything.

• Like 1

"Legally haunted" - yeah, ok.

I guess if they can make laws about stupid things like making chewing gum on Sundays illegal and have fines for length and shape of mustaches, they can make laws about anything they want, it doesn't need to be actual fact.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 10:45 AM, Desertrat56 said:

The first thing she did is make up ghost stories about it.  Most of them were ridiculous as the building didn't exist until 1930, but she insisted she saw victorian women coming down the stairs.  She obviously did not look up the history. 

This woman's credibility/lying aside, to be the devil's advocate in a hypothetical, given the presumption that ghosts are around, if a person from the Victorian era died in the area during the Victorian era, wouldn't their ghost theoretically still be in that area, regardless of whether what sat there at that time is gone now or not, and another building in its place?

Like if a person built a house on a field at Gettysburg in 1980, wouldn't a ghost of a Union soldier walking down the stairs not be considered out out place, even if the house wasn't built until 1980?

On 10/6/2019 at 8:47 AM, rashore said:

Lovely property.

My thoughts exactly - absolutely beautiful old home. 

This is so funny, I can't believe there is a law like that in place.

In Australia legally buyers must be told if a murder was committed in the house (though I think even then it would probably have a limit of time).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tia said:

In Australia legally buyers must be told if a murder was committed in the house

Absolutely - I remember when some guy murdered his entire family in Sydney years back and then the Real Estate Agent sold the house and the new owners found out about the massacre and sued.  It was a pretty dodgy move on the Real Estates part!

I know I'd want to know if something awful had happened in a house I was considering purchasing.  

I remember that one, the son killed his family I think.

I know the house next to ours whilst growing up; the grandfather was murdered in the bathtub but I don't think anything would have been said as it happened over 50 years earlier and police thought it was a crime of opportunity. The grandfather had one a large sum of money and blabbed about it down at the local pub, it was awful as his grandchildren found him when they returned home from school. I remember as a child wondering why the grandson who was in his late teens still leave the outside lights on when he was alone. 

10 hours ago, _Only said:

This woman's credibility/lying aside, to be the devil's advocate in a hypothetical, given the presumption that ghosts are around, if a person from the Victorian era died in the area during the Victorian era, wouldn't their ghost theoretically still be in that area, regardless of whether what sat there at that time is gone now or not, and another building in its place?

Like if a person built a house on a field at Gettysburg in 1980, wouldn't a ghost of a Union soldier walking down the stairs not be considered out out place, even if the house wasn't built until 1980?

People did not wear Victorian gowns in the desert and the stairs did not exist.  It was populated by Navajo during the Victorian era.  Maybe some Victorian ghosts haunt the woman herself, but the hotel would have natives or children ghosts as the property had a school on it before that building was taken down and a hotel built on the site, not exactly where the school building had been.

9 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Absolutely - I remember when some guy murdered his entire family in Sydney years back and then the Real Estate Agent sold the house and the new owners found out about the massacre and sued.  It was a pretty dodgy move on the Real Estates part!

I know I'd want to know if something awful had happened in a house I was considering purchasing.  

The U.S. has the same law.  My friend owns a house that a murder happened in 2 months ago.  Her insurance is covering the cleanup, but the house was trashed and she has to fix it up and then she plans on selling it as it is too upsetting for her to have that house now.  She will have to disclose the murder when she sells it.

• Like 1

Haunted even made up bs history haunted ( true believers dont mind make believe ) is popular and sells, of course its "cooler" to most to have a Vicky ghost lady at an old house than a frogurt stand at the new strip mall haunted by the ghost of DJ Trevor but it's all the same phenomonon,

sadly This type stuff works but only to a certain suggestable fantasy superstious mind type, tell that type this house this room is haunted, the mind engages and they likely will swear they see a spooky, to them it is real as it does only exists in the mind of the believer, it's like kids with imaginary friends they are special the people who dont see it are not special.

doesn't matter a Vicky lady never was there since the house wasnt there, logic doesnt apply. proof is conveniently impossible, it doesnt work that way, you skeptics are just flawed and not "open"  to it,  that fits perfectly with blind true belief,  i do respect blind faith i just don't share in it.

It could work, if you rent haunted rooms and a person's complains they saw no haunts, just blame them for not seeing something not ever really there, heck the warrens made a living off unproven haunts,

i find this stuff great fun.

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The U.S. has the same law.  My friend owns a house that a murder happened in 2 months ago.  Her insurance is covering the cleanup, but the house was trashed and she has to fix it up and then she plans on selling it as it is too upsetting for her to have that house now.  She will have to disclose the murder when she sells it.

as man, the smaller house behind ours both owned by the lady we bought ours from, that house was low end apt type thing, so i "heard" a drug dealer junkie was killed over there, the house was in super bad shape even on a killer deal we passed, 2 or 3 owners have poured way more than its worth to restore it,

anyway just what i need, a ghost of some basket case murdered tweaker running amuck, i would much rather have Vicky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

as man, the smaller house behind ours both owned by the lady we bought ours from, that house was low end apt type thing, so i "heard" a drug dealer junkie was killed over there, the house was in super bad shape even on a killer deal we passed, 2 or 3 owners have poured way more than its worth to restore it,

anyway just what i need, a ghost of some basket case murdered tweaker running amuck, i would much rather have Vicky.

Yeah, if there is such a thing that is exactly the kind of ghost my friend's house will have.  A jacked up meth head that got herself killed by another drugged up person defending himself.   

• Sad 1

The family lived there until 1989, however when the house was eventually sold, its new owners did not take kindly to the fact that they had not been informed of its haunted status beforehand.

When the matter was taken to court, it was ruled that because the Ackley family had widely publicized their belief that the building was haunted, it should be legally considered such.

Were the judges drunk?

The new owners were not saying it was haunted.

And how did this ever get to court in the first place?

All the new owners had to do was ignore the stories and say "it is not haunted" if anyone asked. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Were the judges drunk?

The new owners were not saying it was haunted.

And how did this ever get to court in the first place?

All the new owners had to do was ignore the stories and say "it is not haunted" if anyone asked. 

I suspect the new owners got tired of ghost hunters and lookie loos showing up demanding to see the ghost or get a tour.  If that was the case they could have just put up a sign  "No ghosts here, the previous owners lied"

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I suspect the new owners got tired of ghost hunters and lookie loos showing up demanding to see the ghost or get a tour.  If that was the case they could have just put up a sign  "No ghosts here, the previous owners lied"

The lady we bought from didnt lie, she fully believed her delusions, so not a " lie" she convinced neighbors of it ( some believers, some labled her a loon )

her ex who contacted me believed parts of it, and she did damage to the house because of her mental issues,

we have seen zero, showed this thread to tina she wants our house legally declared haunted. :clap:

• Haha 1