Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
preacherman76

Joker

preacherman76

Don’t wanna spoil it for anyone, just wanted to say Wow. Great movie. Anyone else see it yet?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

spartan max2

I was thinking about it. Can't convince the GF though, she's too soft lol

• Haha 2

SecretSanta

My kids saw it, they really liked it. I guess I’ll wait until it comes out on Netflix or OnDemand. 

• Like 3

preacherman76

Now that I’ve had a night to think about this film, it might not be for everyone, but to me it was a masterpiece. Best movie I’ve seen in years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56
15 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Go without her.  Send her to see Judy.  :lol:

• Haha 3

Skulduggery

I saw it on the 3rd in an IMAX. It is great. That’s all I’ll say.

• Like 2

psyche101
On 10/6/2019 at 10:02 PM, preacherman76 said:

Now that I’ve had a night to think about this film, it might not be for everyone, but to me it was a masterpiece. Best movie I’ve seen in years. 

Yep, my son and I went to see it Saturday. 

I agree completely. IMHO, Oscar worthy. My son thought the same. 

I like the way DC is heading with this. Glad they didn't just follow Marvel. 

I'd say the same, (best I've seen in years) but I thought a lot of Bohemian Rhapsody too, so that's not quite right.... But some real quality stuff coming out of Hollywood lately. 

Phoenix nailed the part. 

• Like 3

psyche101
On 10/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, spartan max2 said:

Same, just go bro. I did. Totally worth it. 

• Haha 1

preacherman76
1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Yep, my son and I went to see it Saturday. 

I agree completely. IMHO, Oscar worthy. My son thought the same. 

I like the way DC is heading with this. Glad they didn't just follow Marvel. 

I'd say the same, (best I've seen in years) but I thought a lot of Bohemian Rhapsody too, so that's not quite right.... But some real quality stuff coming out of Hollywood lately. 

Phoenix nailed the part. 

Finally. I cant believe this isn't a hot topic. Guess we don't have to many movie goers here at UM.

I have been thinking about this movie ever since I saw it (took my son as well). I absolutely love the idea of a realistic version of the Jokers origin. So sad people went all political over this.

Spoiler

Anyhow, how about that last 5 minutes? Talk about a free fall rollercoaster hu? In fact I couldn't help but feel good for the guy, almost till the end. Even while he shot Murray. By the time he got to the mental institution though, right there is where he became the villain to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Farmer77
Just now, preacherman76 said:

Finally. I cant believe this isn't a hot topic. Guess we don't have to many movie goers here at UM.

I have been thinking about this movie ever since I saw it (took my son as well). I absolutely love the idea of a realistic version of the Jokers origin. So sad people went all political over this.

Reveal hidden contents

Anyhow, how about that last 5 minutes? Talk about a free fall rollercoaster hu? In fact I couldn't help but feel good for the guy, almost till the end. Even while he shot Murray. By the time he got to the mental institution though, right there is where he became the villain to me.

Thanks for using the spoiler thing . Im really looking forward to seeing it but I just cant in good conscience ignore legit intel that says someplace is a target  and actually enjoy myself (definitely a me issue ) so ill wait until I can stream it. 

• Like 3

psyche101
22 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Might be catching up? 

Its not been out for a whole week here yet. The cinema I was in was pretty full. 

New Big one with recliner seats and massive screen. Was sweet as :)

I didn't hear that, I'll have to get Google to catch me up. That does sound a shame 

I agree, because it's realistic, it really adds to it I think. That element of realism is what makes it so spooky. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

For me the big turn around was when he stole the papers. That changed everything. It was a real aha moment for me. I was a joker fan right to the end. 

LOL, did you stay till the end for the trailer too? :lol:

• Like 1

preacherman76
1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Thanks for using the spoiler thing . Im really looking forward to seeing it but I just cant in good conscience ignore legit intel that says someplace is a target  and actually enjoy myself (definitely a me issue ) so ill wait until I can stream it. 

Dude just go. Heck its almost worth a bullet, lol Just kidding. Seriously though, you will be just fine.

• Haha 3

Farmer77
Just now, preacherman76 said:

Dude just go. Heck its almost worth a bullet, lol Just kidding. Seriously though, you will be just fine.

Oh I logically know it man thats why I said its a me issue. If I lived in a larger city I would just wait another two weeks or so and go. Here though waiting that long means sitting in the old theater that has the audio and video quality of a 1980s drive in.

• Like 3

preacherman76
57 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Might be catching up? 

Its not been out for a whole week here yet. The cinema I was in was pretty full. 

New Big one with recliner seats and massive screen. Was sweet as :)

I didn't hear that, I'll have to get Google to catch me up. That does sound a shame 

I agree, because it's realistic, it really adds to it I think. That element of realism is what makes it so spooky. 

Reveal hidden contents

For me the big turn around was when he stole the papers. That changed everything. It was a real aha moment for me. I was a joker fan right to the end. 

LOL, did you stay till the end for the trailer too? :lol:

Spoiler

Oh I was a fan all the way through too. That scene where he stole the papers was great. "I ****** up and did some bad ****," lol. Awesome. I really loved the bathroom scene just after he shot those three guys. You could just see the victimhood pealing off him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tracy18

Loved the movie seriously. I have been watching the positive and negative reviews since then too and i must say that the way they have shown class inequalities reminded me of the sociology classes that i had taken back in college. Phoenix is just such a stellar, stellar actor and he carries the whole thing on his shoulder. Another criticism i heard was about the treatment of mental illness which i think is ridiculous because if the viewer watched it closely enough it is for everyone to see that they are contextualizing it in the 80s and that it is a character study of Joker and not a glorification of violence. 

• Like 1

Skulduggery

I’ve never been in a cinema watching a movie and the whole audience applauds really loud at the end. That was next level **** for me. The film has been maligned by idiot critics and sensationalists. **** those guys. Every shot in this movie was a work of art. Even the title card. Look up how Todd incorporates the title card. Old-school. Who knew the director of The Hangover was this much an authentic cinephile? This is seriously good. I liked the director for his documentary on GG Allin way back in the day but the Hangover movies were pretty stale for me. Easy writing. That is easy stuff. This is great. No hyperbole.

• Like 3

Scholar4Truth

All I have to say is that Pheonix is a close second next to Heath Ledger. 

• Like 2

Kittens Are Jerks
On 10/5/2019 at 7:35 PM, preacherman76 said:

Don’t wanna spoil it for anyone, just wanted to say Wow. Great movie. Anyone else see it yet?

Saw it the other day. The cinematography was brilliant, as was Joaquin Phoenix, and I loved the noir feel to the film.

I had just a couple of minor issues with it:

I don't think they should have showed the murder of the Waynes. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, and too much a link to Batman for my liking. I also wish they had ended it when he was on top of the car surrounded by the cheering mob. I understand the scene at the psychiatric hospital though, as they probably wanted to leave the movie open to interpretation. How much of it was in his head? All or some? They also wanted to present the possibility that he might not be the real Joker, but, rather, an inspiration to someone else who takes on the role.

Anyway, I'd really like to see Phoenix's Joker come up against Batman (my least favourite superhero) and win. 

• Like 1

Robotic Jew
On 10/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I actually liked Phoenix's take better. But that could just be because Heath's was in a much more glossy and superhero centered setting. 

Loved this movie though. While it was entirely predictable it was still very well done and was filled with great performances. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F3SS

Just got back from seeing it. It was fantastic yet I left speechless. It was so gritty and realistic. I do not recommend for kids or anyone slightly unbalanced. 

On 10/8/2019 at 6:41 AM, Farmer77 said:

I wasn't even thinking about that until right after the film climaxed when suddenly I thought to myself my god, why did I go to a theater to see this. Glad I did now but damn from the movie to the thoughts it provoked it was definitely an experience.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, Scholar4Truth said:

I don't think they're even comparable.

Spoiler

Heath's was more a traditional criminal mastermind, very calculated. Phoenix's came from Shutter Island and was not intelligent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1