Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serious Research into Ghosts?

acute

I know that ghosts exist. I have seen them, heard them, and (in three cases) identified them.

Ghosthunting shows are entertainment. If there's no unexplained phenomena, they are paid to fabricate it. The idea that you have to record a voice, and play it back later for evidence, is laughable.

I would like to know if there is any serious research into ghosts happening right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, acute said:

I know that ghosts exist. I have seen them, heard them, and (in three cases) identified them.

Ghosthunting shows are entertainment. If there's no unexplained phenomena, they are paid to fabricate it. The idea that you have to record a voice, and play it back later for evidence, is laughable.

I would like to know if there is any serious research into ghosts happening right now.

No. No serious scientific researchers are studying ghosts (apart from the psychological aspects) and no papers are being published in legitimate journals.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, acute said:

I wish there was. 

• Like 9

I think the biggest problem is that parapsychology is not an excepted Science by the Scientific community in general. Since this is the case money for research is hard to come by. Another problem with getting well known Scientists to participate in research is because they do not want their names associated with this area of study. I wish real Scientific research was put in to this Science, then I truly beleive it could be proven or disproven once and for all. But I don't beleive it going to happen anytime soon.

JIMO

• Like 2

3 hours ago, acute said:

Really, how sure are you that any of the better shows fabricate phenomena. My thought is that they are paid to make it entertaining but they don't outright fabricate.

3 hours ago, acute said:

Well, 'serious' becomes a subjective judgment in the end. I am sure many claim to be serious investigators.

3 hours ago, acute said:

I have never experienced such things.  Could you relate what happened to you?

• Like 1

I do not see all the deceased as being ghosts, and possibly not all "ghosts" are deceased people. A ghost and haunting is something apart from the few I have dealt with through mediumship, most of whom have crossed over and moved on for the most part. To me, we'd have to sort out what this even IS which hangs around and can be detected at times so we could then determine something that would detect them for the mechanic sort of researcher. THEN sort a place it is frequent enough to bother with for them as such things are not reliable for repetition on demand :/ 

This may be too subjective for anything that would be taken as "serious" by the scientific sorts.

JMO

• Like 4

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Really, how sure are you that any of the better shows fabricate phenomena. My thought is that they are paid to make it entertaining but they don't outright fabricate.

As far as Ghost Hunters (the TAPS crew) goes, there was the infamous Grant jacket pull debacle that they really had a rough time over.

Also another hilarious one from TAPS not widely known because later releases of the event omitted this part, but during one of the live Halloween events they held (I watched it live at the time) they had some male star on (I can't remember who it was years later, but maybe someone here might remember this) and he, Jay, and Grant were all outside standing around.

At some point, they (and the TV audience) heard some weird sound. Jay and Grant played it up, looking around seeming to not know where that sound came from outside, but the poor sap celebrity was amazed too, but kept saying it was odd because he had heard the sound coming from his headphones, not from outside, meaning that (and he obviously didn't understand this at the time) the sound was coming from the production team, and not outside like it was being made to seem.

He kept repeating this to Jay and Grant over and over, legitimately looking surprised and confused about his little discovery. while the other two looked uneasy, and Jay made a quick, very awkward sounding joke along the lines of "yeah, it was so loud even I could hear it", to which he and Grant awkwardly laugh off and then they move the group along.

It was really hilarious and I wish I could find the footage of it, but I have tried over the years since and never seemed to find it, because like I said, this happened live, and later releases of the live Halloween event (I have since forgotten what year it was) special did not have this 'scene'.

I also remember a sort of debacle over the famous Ghost Adventures brick toss, but I can't remember if any solid evidence was found one way or the other. I've fallen out of interest in these types of shows over these many years, so my examples are old.

edit: A GA brick toss synopsis is included in this video, where they reminded me a big issue with this supposed rock hard brick flying across the room - there was never a sound from the brick hitting anything after it launched across room:

Here's also a collected list of supposed fake events from the TAPS team: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/ghost-hunters-fake/

Edited by _Only
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, and then said:

I have never experienced such things.  Could you relate what happened to you?

I would rather concentrate on the research question.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _Only said:

Also another hilarious one from TAPS not widely known because later releases of the event omitted this part, but during one of the live Halloween events they held (I watched it live at the time) they had some male star on (I can't remember who it was years later, but maybe someone here might remember this) and he, Jay, and Grant were all outside standing around.

At some point, they (and the TV audience) heard some weird sound. Jay and Grant played it up, looking around seeming to not know where that sound came from outside, but the poor sap celebrity was amazed too, but kept saying it was odd because he had heard the sound coming from his headphones, not from outside, meaning that (and he obviously didn't understand this at the time) the sound was coming from the production team, and not outside like it was being made to seem.

He kept repeating this to Jay and Grant over and over, legitimately looking surprised and confused about his little discovery. while the other two looked uneasy, and Jay made a quick, very awkward sounding joke along the lines of "yeah, it was so loud even I could hear it", to which he and Grant awkwardly laugh off and then they move the group along.

It was really hilarious and I wish I could find the footage of it, but I have tried over the years since and never seemed to find it, because like I said, this happened live, and later releases of the live Halloween event (I have since forgotten what year it was) special did not have this 'scene'.

My question to the above is that even though the sound was coming from the production crew at what point were Jay and Grant certain beyond doubt that it was not paranormal?

But anyway, even if we can discuss a few questionably handled events my point is that in general they are serious investigators and not out to hoax. Yet, I would not doubt that they feel some pressure to make it exciting for the home audience too and they might approach or perhaps even slightly cross some borderlines (?). 

I dont think there has been any serious research done and It would be hard to scientifically prove the research. I have also seen ghost and have had weird experiences.

• Like 1

@papageorge1

I agree with your previous post.

I believe there are genuine motives for most or all TAPS investigations, but something has to happen to justify the expense of filming. No ghosthunting show ever got cancelled halfway through for lack of paranormal activity.

Edited by acute

18 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

I dont think there has been any serious research done and It would be hard to scientifically prove the research. I have also seen ghost and have had weird experiences.

I don't think we can scientifically prove the existence of ghosts with our current knowledge, although I think we are getting closer to it with multidimension theories.

The first step is to experiment to reliably replicate phenomena, but it would take money, scientists, and time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, acute said:

No ghosthunting show ever got cancelled halfway through for lack of paranormal activity.

Are you sure of that? Could they be doing preliminary investigations and scrapping further investigations and a TV episode?

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Are you sure of that? Could they be doing preliminary investigations and scrapping further investigations and a TV episode?

I meant "halfway through filming"

Edited by acute

7 minutes ago, acute said:

I meant "halfway through filming"

Ahh, but my point was that they can scrap unpromising investigations early. I don't know what their stages are in production.

13 hours ago, acute said:

I don't think we can scientifically prove the existence of ghosts with our current knowledge, although I think we are getting closer to it with multidimension theories.

The first step is to experiment to reliably replicate phenomena, but it would take money, scientists, and time.

Eh damn language barriers it was what i was trying to say :)

Edited by Impedancer

The short answer to your question is of course no, no research of a serious or scientific nature, as you know I'm a hard core skeptic who begs for evidence and proof that never comes i wish there was legit research being done, my research days are past.

i do not count even one "TV" show they are for entertainment and profit, period, these shows do way more harm to the subject of ghosts and the paranormal subjects, the more these shows aire the further back science steps, just like shows like hunting bigfoot or hunting aliens, if you dont get your mark its moot and some of these clowns just make it look ridiculous, fakes and frauds? i believe they salt for dramatic effect, i would watching a "hunting" show in the same mind as i would watch wrestling.

For example no one has ever proven ghost, haunted, phychic abilities yet its a million dollar industry, some people need to believe in more, for some its God, Jesus, others its special powers or ghosts.

when science is approached to get into the in this case the study of "Ghosts" they do things like ask, so just what is a ghost? a disembodied soul? or ? they ask for the evidence, 

being told "it doesnt work that way" isnt going to excite "science" to give it much attention,  anecdotal isnt evidence, blurry one off pictures videos or audio are only of so much value and if not explained are labled unknown which only mean unknown, science when it comes to ghosts have very little to study, thus needs to be accepted by believers not as insult but just how science and proving something works.

some research has been done on the area that ghosts are a product of that persons mind which doesnt sit well with believers, i dont blame them,

i would enjoy seeing some better research in the area of stone tape theories but again believers that ghosts are spirits or autonomous in any way wont like stone tape  explanations either.

Not my race but to me what it will take is not a scientist, at least not at first, a true believer will have to get past the, "it doesnt work that way" ideology and roll up their sleeves get some repeatable proof science will take a gander at, no small task folks have been beliving in ghosts for 1000s of years and i do not think the lack of proof or lack of scientific interest is gonna sway that,

let's hope times and mindsets change and the phenomonon is investigated in a scientific, unbiased open minded ( on both sides ) way. i hope it happens soon, i for one have hunted proof well over 40 years and i got zip :(

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think Doctor Barry Taft, Dr.Rolle, and a few others including Hans Holzer were trying to do  scientific research into ghosts.And in something of a scientific nature.taft was invovled in  'The Enity" Case in California which was also a book and movie.Why the surge in popularity of ghost shows I don't know. Sometimes  I get annoyed with some of these shows. Can't explain it but i do. Now I'm fine with Dead Files, as they do try to  actually help families. And they do research, Steve goes into the properties history, while Amy speaks to the spirits. Even Ghost Adventures tries to help folks .On one of the episodes, forgot which, Zack said the local historical society in a ghost hunters best friend for researching the place's history. I also like Ghost Brothers, it's different.

Sometimes people make up stories about places and after investigation  they find there are no ghosts.

There is too much of a psychological aspect to ghost sightings. This can range from being imagination to serious mental illness. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, acute said:

Everything can be scientifically proved. Surely cameras are all you need right?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 6:28 AM, XenoFish said:

There is too much of a psychological aspect to ghost sightings. This can range from being imagination to serious mental illness. 

This. Most cases I've seen involves sightings of a dead relative. That to me is screaming though form. If you really want to see something or think you've seen something, low and behold your mind can create it. Very powerful is the brain!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

This. Most cases I've seen involves sightings of a dead relative. That to me is screaming though form. If you really want to see something or think you've seen something, low and behold your mind can create it. Very powerful is the brain!

And people dismiss how much our thoughts affect perception.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, Manwon Lender said:

I think the biggest problem is that parapsychology is not an excepted Science by the Scientific community in general. Since this is the case money for research is hard to come by. Another problem with getting well known Scientists to participate in research is because they do not want their names associated with this area of study. I wish real Scientific research was put in to this Science, then I truly beleive it could be proven or disproven once and for all. But I don't beleive it going to happen anytime soon.

JIMO

Good points. I think this would still be unsettled no matter what. You could take the most reputable scientist on the planet and throw him/her into this study. If they find out beyond any doubt the paranormal doesn't exist, the true believers wont recognize it. If they found that the paranormal does beyond any doubt exist, that person would instantly lose all credibility, and would be accused of all kinds of things.

So really I guess you cant blame any individual scientist with a good reputation to lose for not wanting anything to do with it.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, ThereWeAreThen said:

I'm sure this is probably true in some cases. Just seems strange to me though. There are plenty of examples of perfectly normal people who claimed to have some type of unexplainable experience. I think if our minds could just create paranormal experiences, like all of them that have ever been claimed, we'd see similar things in every aspect of life. Yet we don't. At least with normal people.

• The topic was locked