Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Serious Research into Ghosts?

acute

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You've got nothing. Just like a lot of others around here. Stories is all, not proof, no evidence, nothing. Get back to me when you've got real evidence. Not some made up tale or exaggerated experience. 

Like most people's, hey :tu:

17 hours ago, openozy said:

That has happened to me when I threatened some occultists,I've written about it on here before,it was not worth the ridicule.I don't bother talking about this stuff anymore.

So tell me why I have upset, offended  and ticked off countless claimed occultists,  blind true believers and all kinds of loons and ive never been pushed thrown upside down, 

In fact one fellow after getting all cursing on me begged me to take my curse off him, it was weird long story, but of course I didnt curse him.

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ghost-sightings-as-explained-by-science-131550406.html

“The two most powerful psychological factors implicated in hauntings are context and belief,” Christopher French, a professor of psychology and head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at the University of London, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. Meaning, simply, if a person expects a place to be haunted, then they’ll more likely see it that way.

“Studies show that if people are told that a location is haunted, they report more anomalous experiencers — sense of presence, shivers down the spine, changes in temperature, etc. — than if that suggestion is not given to them,” he says, adding that “believers in the paranormal are more susceptible to such suggestions than skeptics.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why would there need to be any research today?  All we need is the claimants  to come up with their proof.

We are not talking about an external phenomenon,  we are talking about us,  humans,  mankind. If there was any truth of an afterlife,  after all the time we have been on this Earth,  we would know about it by now. 

What we can be certain of, is stories from the living which can not be backed up with confirmation from the dead.

If a ghost  is able to move and communicate with people who are alive,    then surely the amount of people who have died whom believed in ghosts or an afterlife when alive,  would do their own research on the other side and find a way to prove it was all true through communication. 

If I where now a ghost who was a believer when alive,  the last person I would want to communicate with to prove ghosts exist,  are mediums and charletans.

We have not only had no proof from the living during their research, we have no proof from the dead who are now in a prime position to say "well here I am and I am a ghost"

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2019 at 9:41 AM, acute said:

I know that ghosts exist. I have seen them, heard them, and (in three cases) identified them.

Existing and conclusions are different things. 

Ghosthunting shows are entertainment. If there's no unexplained phenomena, they are paid to fabricate it. The idea that you have to record a voice, and play it back later for evidence, is laughable.

With all the alleged cases, is that not saying something? 

I would like to know if there is any serious research into ghosts happening right now.

What about research thelat refutes afterlife ideas? Physics states we cannot survive death. Basic thermodynamics. 

I would consider that good reason to revise certain conclusions myself. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:57 PM, the13bats said:

let's hope times and mindsets change and the phenomonon is investigated in a scientific, unbiased open minded ( on both sides ) way. i hope it happens soon, i for one have hunted proof well over 40 years and i got zip :(

Paranormal proponents will not agree, but James Randis challenge was fair, open minded and allowed for claimants to have a great deal of say over said experiments. 

I'd say that was quite a fair effort on giving the paranormal a more than fair chance, yet not a single person ever took the million 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, Manwon Lender said:

I think the biggest problem is that parapsychology is not an excepted Science by the Scientific community in general. Since this is the case money for research is hard to come by. Another problem with getting well known Scientists to participate in research is because they do not want their names associated with this area of study. I wish real Scientific research was put in to this Science, then I truly beleive it could be proven or disproven once and for all. But I don't beleive it going to happen anytime soon.

JIMO

The US  wasted 20 million on stargate. 

I'd consider that offering supports the benefit of the doubt. Yet again, no results to support the paranormal. 

I think what people want is a genuine ghost busters outfit claiming proof. Obviously, that's not going to happen or it would have by now. 

On 10/20/2019 at 1:03 AM, preacherman76 said:

Good points. I think this would still be unsettled no matter what. You could take the most reputable scientist on the planet and throw him/her into this study. If they find out beyond any doubt the paranormal doesn't exist, the true believers wont recognize it. If they found that the paranormal does beyond any doubt exist, that person would instantly lose all credibility, and would be accused of all kinds of things.

So really I guess you cant blame any individual scientist with a good reputation to lose for not wanting anything to do with it.

That's not true at all and a very skewed idea of his science works. 

If something is proven, it becomes fact. It's a simple as that. Several have debated the subject in public too. Its not taboo, its just not compelling. Humans and imagination is a more likely answer than a great beyond. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The US  wasted 20 million on stargate. 

I'd consider that offering supports the benefit of the doubt. Yet again, no results to support the paranormal. 

I think what people want is a genuine ghost busters outfit claiming proof. Obviously, that's not going to happen or it would have by now. 

What do you mean the US Spent 20 million on Stargate?

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

What do you mean the US Spent 20 million on Stargate?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

Stargate Project work primarily involved remote viewing, the purported ability to psychically "see" events, sites, or informationfrom a great distance.[1] The project was overseen until 1987 by Lt. Frederick Holmes "Skip" Atwater, an aide and "psychic headhunter" to Maj. Gen. Albert Stubblebine, and later president of the Monroe Institute.[

Based upon the collected findings, which recommended a higher level of critical research and tighter controls, the CIA terminated the 20 million dollar project, citing a lack of documented evidence that the program had any value to the intelligence community. Time magazine stated in 1995 three full-time psychics were still working on a $500,000-a-year budget out of Fort Meade, Maryland, which would soon close.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Project

Stargate Project work primarily involved remote viewing, the purported ability to psychically "see" events, sites, or informationfrom a great distance.[1] The project was overseen until 1987 by Lt. Frederick Holmes "Skip" Atwater, an aide and "psychic headhunter" to Maj. Gen. Albert Stubblebine, and later president of the Monroe Institute.[

Based upon the collected findings, which recommended a higher level of critical research and tighter controls, the CIA terminated the 20 million dollar project, citing a lack of documented evidence that the program had any value to the intelligence community. Time magazine stated in 1995 three full-time psychics were still working on a $500,000-a-year budget out of Fort Meade, Maryland, which would soon close.

I had no idea, thanks for the information and the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I had no idea, thanks for the information and the link.

You're most welcome. 

Edgar Mitchell also co-founded the Noetic society, he has performed his own private experiments too, even in Apollo missions also with no success. 

Opportunities abound if one looks. We hear little because there's no results to speak of. 

May I ask, what is your opinion of James Randis millions dollar challenge? 

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You're most welcome. 

Edgar Mitchell also co-founded the Noetic society, he has performed his own private experiments too, even in Apollo missions also with no success. 

Opportunities abound if one looks. We hear little because there's no results to speak of. 

May I ask, what is your opinion of James Randis millions dollar challenge? 

Again I am not familiar with Mr. Randis or his challenge.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2019 at 11:32 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

@acute You might find the following LiveScience article interesting. It touches on the science and logic of ghosts and explains that one of the reasons it's difficult to investigate ghosts is that there's not one universally agreed upon definition on what they actually are. From the article:

Some believe that they are spirits of the dead who for whatever reason get "lost" on their way to The Other Side; others claim that ghosts are instead telepathic entities projected into the world from our minds. Still others create their own special categories for different types of ghosts, such as poltergeists, residual hauntings, intelligent spirits and shadow people. Of course, it's all made up, like speculating on the different races of fairies or dragons: there are as many types of ghosts as you want there to be.

There are many contradictions inherent in ideas about ghosts. For example, are ghosts material or not? Either they can move through solid objects without disturbing them, or they can slam doors shut and throw objects across the room. According to logic and the laws of physics, it's one or the other. If ghosts are human souls, why do they appear clothed and with (presumably soulless) inanimate objects like hats, canes, and dresses — not to mention the many reports of ghost trains, cars and carriages?

If ghosts are the spirits of those whose deaths were unavenged, why are there unsolved murders, since ghosts are said to communicate with psychic mediums, and should be able to identify their killers for the police. And so on — just about any claim about ghosts raises logical reasons to doubt it.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/26697-are-ghosts-real.html

Thank you, KAJ.  Very interesting.

I don't think all ghosts are the same. I have had first-hand experience of both residual and active hauntings, but I don't know where (active) attention-seeking spirits end and poltergeists (often fuelled by teenage angst) begin!

• Like 3

On 10/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, openozy said:

Don't bet on it :)

Rather than all these one-liners, excuses and handwaves, why doncha just post the very best example you have, or have seen.  That'll shut up all them skeptics who dare to ask for evidence!

I mean, how dare they - it's not like everyone is carrying recording devices with them all the time.  Not like there are cameras in cars prowling the roads, or stuck on houses, or ....

oh wait....

Anyway, stop moaning about how unfair the world is, and post something decent.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Rather than all these one-liners, excuses and handwaves, why doncha just post the very best example you have, or have seen.  That'll shut up all them skeptics who dare to ask for evidence!

I mean, how dare they - it's not like everyone is carrying recording devices with them all the time.  Not like there are cameras in cars prowling the roads, or stuck on houses, or ....

oh wait....

Anyway, stop moaning about how unfair the world is, and post something decent.

The heat getting to you didums?The post is over 2 months old.:st:clap::tsu:

Edited by openozy

36 minutes ago, openozy said:

in your bathroom.:st

Edited by openozy

13 hours ago, openozy said:

The heat getting to you didums?The post is over 2 months old.:st:clap::tsu:

So, it has an expiry date?  I didn't know 2 months was necro-posting, but in this case perhaps the stupid does get a bit smelly after time... so thanks much for your advice...

BTW, it's pretty ironic that you would criticise me for that, and then end up quoting yourself instead of me in that second post you added.....

..while we're at it, most folks can answer a single post in a single post..  Will you keep coming back to add clever things as you think of them later?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Will you keep coming back to add clever things as you think of them later?

Probably,at least I don't wait 2 months but thanks for the compliment.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, the13bats said:

i for one have hunted proof well over 40 years and i got zip

OK, but how would you prove a ghost even exists? Maybe it is an investigation into consciousness and what that is or maybe it is an investigation into alternative realities?

Surely, science has to define what constitutes proof in these circumstances and then go after that, but while 'proof' is undefined, then we will never obtain it.

If science does not accept ANY proof as valid for this subject/area of research, then everyone is wasting their time even considering it.

However this is what science should be doing is coming up with ways to prove things which up to now have not been addressed by science. There must be a body or organisation which can be tasked to deliver a report on what constitutes proof for this and so others can go after it.

I think we might have to go into the areas of Remote Viewing or Out of Body Experiences to explain what is happening. I have read many accounts of these and they all say there is some kind of other reality which exists. Science has only just started to accept there might be other dimensions which occult folks have known for centuries. Remote Viewing has been spec'd and used by the military for over 25 years and anyone can be trained to do it (not everyone is good at it however). They all accept there are other realities and that time is not a fixed linear dimension in our reality. Many of you on here would not accept that.

Edited by ocpaul20
RV & OBE

• The topic was locked