Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada's Shag Harbour UFO mystery turns 52

UM-Bot

I wonder if shag in Canada means the same thing it means for Aussies?  :huh:

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Haha 5

Could have been an R/C ufo.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Could have been an R/C ufo.

In 1967? 

• Like 1

Ya gotta love this:

the Royal Canada Mint has released a new glow-in-the-dark coin depicting the moment the object was sighted by witnesses near the shoreline

YES! lol, glow-in-the-dark coin.  Me want one of them.

That was quite an incident. the Navy searched for quite a while before giving up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Does it mean the same thing is Oz as it does in the UK? :huh:

Edited by ThereWeAreThen
Bad English is bad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Ya gotta love this:

YES! lol, glow-in-the-dark coin.  Me want one of them.

That was quite an incident. the Navy searched for quite a while before giving up.

The coins are really quite nice. They are rectangular (worth about $20 if you want to spend them, but cost around $130 each). My brothers managed to get some for their kids but it took some doing. The coins were sold out as soon as they were released. The image on the right shows the glow in the dark alien spacecraft. They never did figure out what those orange lights were.

c8d6f9o.jpg?1

• Like 3

at first i thought i need one of those coins but it's not really what i expected, 130 for 20, I'll pass and score onr for .50 at a yard sale in a few years,

so what did the majority decide "shag harbor"

( isnt that the name of a xxx movie? )

event really was?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Franklin Mint.:lol: 

Need that collector’s coin. It will look great next to my 1977 Japanese commemorative plesiosaur stamp.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

We're aware of its meaning, but the word is not really used here in that context.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

In 1967? 

Yes why not... I mean in ancient times the egyptians had surgical tools thats similar to what doctors use today.

The shag harbor event wasnt much until decades later when Chris styles decided to write a book,

going back to the orginal reports it sure sounded like flares or metorites, lights were seen falling into the water, fears of a place crash caused a search zero found, nothing more said until decades later, end of story,

not so fast, ironically i saw styles in in TV show say to the effect while he saw lights he didnt get all involved until watching a roswell segment on unsolved mysteries, and he labled shag harbor the Canadian roswell, rather fitting i feel as both cases are based on basically no evidence only enhanced, embelished stories.

styles waxes on about navy drivers finding an object the military tracking it and it meeting up with another underwater object, of course we have no names , no collaboration, nothing to back up its anything more than styles invented story of dramitic fiction,

it's been a long time and all we have is still some lights fell in the water, but according to styles it wasn't just UFOs but just had to be aliens.

he's earned a living from it so my hats off to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Yes why not... I mean in ancient times the egyptians had surgical tools thats similar to what doctors use today.

There were remote control planes in the 60's, a family friend had a couple but they were noisy with gasoline engines and I am not sure there were lights on them.  They were expensive and the guy actually lost one when his controller quit working, he just had to watch it fly off.  It would have kept going until it ran out of gas or hit something.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

I think that if I was the deciding military factor as to whether or not to do a search for the USO, I would never rely on word of mouth of an eyewitness that the UFO went under water. I think the Canadian military had the event on radar and that is why they chose to listen to the witness and hence, do a search.

Of course, you'll never see military or civilian radar of that day/time. You can expect that if you pulled a FOIA, you would get the inevitable refusal in court based on "National Security", the old reliable get away free card that stands for "We don't want them to see UFO evidence".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I think that if I was the deciding military factor as to whether or not to do a search for the USO, I would never rely on word of mouth of an eyewitness that the UFO went under water. I think the Canadian military had the event on radar and that is why they chose to listen to the witness and hence, do a search.

Of course, you'll never see military or civilian radar of that day/time. You can expect that if you pulled a FOIA, you would get the inevitable refusal in court based on "National Security", the old reliable get away free card that stands for "We don't want them to see UFO evidence".

Can you prove that or just you guessing?

if you read the "orginal" report the teens had various stories, look at the The Halifax Chronicle-Herald,

their descriptions sound like flares, no one until decades later when styles got involved to sell a book did the ideas of the objects dove into the water pop up, i challenge you to find the name of any one who says the lights dove into the water or the names of anyone who doesn't sound like they are describing flares, prove the navy was involved.

styles book doesnt count its hearsay...sad very sad.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There were remote control planes in the 60's, a family friend had a couple but they were noisy with gasoline engines and I am not sure there were lights on them.  They were expensive and the guy actually lost one when his controller quit working, he just had to watch it fly off.  It would have kept going until it ran out of gas or hit something.

the bulk were not gasoline but nitro ran off glow plugs like diesels, in those days no one ran mufflers and they were painfully loud,  likey no lights,

a very few large planes ran small crappy 2 stroke gasoline engines, these were almost never seen in private hobby hands, in those days.

the controllers were bulky and slow right into the 70s and even into the 80s a lot of planes and gliders were lost out at sea flown from the beach, it a glider was up in good thermals it could go hundreds of miles,

in the 90s at the flight range they would do night flights once in a while, lots of Xmas style lights it was before led was mainstream,

and i asked a cop out there who told me that every time there were rc night flights they get a few ufo reports,

i stopped flying and only run large scale buggies now,

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

Speculating is a better word.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Speculating is a better word.

i can respect that or either word :tu:

What bugs me about so many cases like this is the embellishments, the enhancements, it ruins the original actual case facts,

we get a guy like styles who writes a book, but no matter his opinion or what he believes it has nothing to bsck up his claims, i could say oh my dad was there then he saw this he saw that, well my dad is a specific person and i offer just as much proof my story is true, styles will just say things like this navy guy or that fisherman, take his word at face value,

sure some jump and believe him, but i cant i see his work no different that anyone elses opinion except he did profit from this actually its his living i believe,

i go back to the start and a case like shag harbor or roswell is empty, it's the later made up stuff that makes the story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, the13bats said:

if you read the "orginal" report the teens had various stories, look at the The Halifax Chronicle-Herald,

their descriptions sound like flares, no one until decades later when styles got involved to sell a book did the ideas of the objects dove into the water pop up, i challenge you to find the name of any one who says the lights dove into the water or the names of anyone who doesn't sound like they are describing flares, prove the navy was involved.

styles book doesnt count its hearsay...sad very sad.

Of course that is blissful fiction. If you take a look you'll see that this is at the southern tip of Nova Scotia and there were no radars in that area.

Halifax at over 200km away was the closest radar. I'm not sure when the base over at Schoodic in the US opened up. That is closer.

Any radar in Halifax would not see from the ocean to a height of well over 3km.

Any chance of radar observing the event? LOL!

• Like 1

Maybe it's me... has anyone else ever heard of ship based radar??

Again, not being judgmental.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Maybe it's me... has anyone else ever heard of ship based radar??

Again, not being judgmental.  :rolleyes:

Don't ships have radar systems?  I thought they did.

• Like 1

These imaginary situations are only inspected by skeptics since they are interested in evidence.

Making up stories is the realm of the close minded scoffer.

There are no reports of ships with radar in the area. Seems that bizarre speculation continues to be rampant.

• Thanks 1

So what is there to these stories from Shag harbor. You'd think that the stories were made up by the sort of people that make up UFO stories.

Real facts are blended together, distorted, embellished, and finally enhanced with fiction to produce a story that does not appear to have happened.

There were two sets of teens that saw either 3 or 4 lights descend towards the water. Lots of other things have been added to these reports. There have even been additions that did not occur that night but at other times. That's just the way these things work. The waters are muddied by distortions, embellishments and simply outright fiction.

• Thanks 1