Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

John the Baptist & Early Christianity

Batanat

59 minutes ago, Habitat said:

No. I certainly did not, but I know you are nodding to your Holy Cow, so don't pretend otherwise. Although I am doubtful you have it even partly resolved in your own mind.

I agree with you here on this. In my opinion people need to write in the medium we communicate with correctly, i.e English. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

I'll be fascinated to see how the wily eight bits explains his non-Torah inspired use of "g-d",

Since I was a child, I have had neighbors who followed that convention and other neighbors who did not. I noticed early on in the thread that the OP followed it to an extent, and when I'm addressing her I follow suit.

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

instead of proper language.

"Proper language" is that which is widely understood by the audience being addressed. It is obvious that you understand this usage just fine. It's like when you talk about behaviour even though there are a few hundred million of us native speakers who spell it behavior. The forum endures and thrives all the same.

As you point out, this an English language forum, You might have added an international English-language forum. When you aren't on about this, you're up the nose of another poster whose English is his second language, whose jokes soar way over your head time after time, and so you conclude that something's wrong with him.

If you can't figure out what's wrong with that inference, then there's no mystery why you can't figure out what happened to the o in G-d. Tough t-tties indeed, Habbie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Haha, you're welcome. Why hallelujah, though?

Well because true religion, the religion of the spirit (the religion of Jesus) is something other than Judaism and Christianity.

Perhaps you get where I'm coming from.

Edited by Will Due

34 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well because true religion, the religion of the spirit (the religion of Jesus) is something other than Judaism and Christianity.

Perhaps you get where I'm coming from.

Possibly. I don't know you well enough yet. I used to be very much a regular on these boards. Sadly life got in the way and nowadays I rarely get on board to chat. In any case, I'm simply a run-of-the-mill non-believer (Theist, Deist, take your pick - I'm not an atheist, I do believe in something people call "god"). I'm an ex-Christian (very committed Christian from the age of 19-34 [I'm turning 40 next week]). Many of my morals from my life in Christianity remain with me, and I grew up in a culture that grew out of a Judeo-Christian system. As such, they are "Christ-like", insofar as most people growing up in Australia have mostly Christian values. 

I did notice that your profile quote is from the Urantia Papers, which gives me a bit of an idea of your general stance on things, but I never believed much like that (I was a conservative evangelical protestant). 

But whatever the case, my beliefs now are firmly in the non-religious camp. Thanks for the chat,

~ Regards, PA

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Possibly. I don't know you well enough yet. I used to be very much a regular on these boards. Sadly life got in the way and nowadays I rarely get on board to chat. In any case, I'm simply a run-of-the-mill non-believer (Theist, Deist, take your pick - I'm not an atheist, I do believe in something people call "god"). I'm an ex-Christian (very committed Christian from the age of 19-34 [I'm turning 40 next week]). Many of my morals from my life in Christianity remain with me, and I grew up in a culture that grew out of a Judeo-Christian system. As such, they are "Christ-like", insofar as most people growing up in Australia have mostly Christian values. 

I did notice that your profile quote is from the Urantia Papers, which gives me a bit of an idea of your general stance on things, but I never believed much like that (I was a conservative evangelical protestant). 

But whatever the case, my beliefs now are firmly in the non-religious camp. Thanks for the chat,

~ Regards, PA

Very nice to meet you PA. 

Perhaps we'll get to know each other more and what makes us each tick. :tu:

1 hour ago, Paranoid Android said:

I do believe in something people call "god"

How would you describe what that is?

9 hours ago, eight bits said:

Since I was a child, I have had neighbors who followed that convention and other neighbors who did not. I noticed early on in the thread that the OP followed it to an extent, and when I'm addressing her I follow suit.

And I appreciate that ^_^ I obviously don't mind people using the "standard" form, but I do appreciate when my culture is respected like that, even (or perhaps especially) when it's unnecessary to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Batanat said:

And I appreciate that ^_^ I obviously don't mind people using the "standard" form, but I do appreciate when my culture is respected like that, even (or perhaps especially) when it's unnecessary to do so.

All you do, by using this g-d BS, is disrespect other people, by attempting to impose an obscure idea that people neither want nor need. That doesn't get your culture respected, it only reinforces the negative perception created by your extreme Jewish chauvinism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

All you do, by using this g-d BS, is disrespect other people, by attempting to impose an obscure idea that people neither want nor need. That doesn't get your culture respected, it only reinforces the negative perception created by your extreme Jewish chauvinism.

For someone so chauvinist, you sure like to accuse others of chauvinism, lol. Your bar for "disrespect" is basically on the floor, bud :lol: I'm not "imposing" anything, you are. I've never suggested or requested that anyone do anything. You, as usual, are the only one trying to impose your own hyper-purist notions of what is "correct" on everyone else. Like, dude, listen to yourself. You're getting yourself worked up into a prescriptivist, almost nativist-sounding rant over a hyphen :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Batanat said:

For someone so chauvinist, you sure like to accuse others of chauvinism, lol. Your bar for "disrespect" is basically on the floor, bud :lol: I'm not "imposing" anything, you are. I've never suggested or requested that anyone do anything. You, as usual, are the only one trying to impose your own hyper-purist notions of what is "correct" on everyone else. Like, dude, listen to yourself. You're getting yourself worked up into a prescriptivist, almost nativist-sounding rant over a hyphen :unsure2:

It is not a hyphen you silly woman ! You are trying to impose an obscure idea on others. This is an English language forum, not a forum where the "rules" of Torah-observant Jews prevail.

• Haha 1

Like, seriously @Habitat, are you incapable of bringing yourself to live with the fact that other people don't think or act in the same way as you do? Why are you so unable to sit with the existence of other cultures and ideas and motivations that you'd devote all this time and energy to getting upset over the use of a hyphen instead of an O?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is not a hyphen you silly woman ! You are trying to impose an obscure idea on others. This is an English language forum, not a forum where the "rules" of Torah-observant Jews prevail.

I'm speaking English, and my cultural idiosyncrasy is not a "rule", it's a custom. I have never tried to impose anything. You seem to think that the spelling "G-d" merely existing in an English-language forum is somehow an imposition and disrespectful, but that's your own problem, lmao. Your own very, very silly problem, lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Batanat said:

Like, seriously @Habitat, are you incapable of bringing yourself to live with the fact that other people don't think or act in the same way as you do? Why are you so unable to sit with the existence of other cultures and ideas and motivations that you'd devote all this time and energy to getting upset over the use of a hyphen instead of an O?

Ah, I see you've met Habitat. Let the fun begin. I wish you luck and sanity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Habitat said:

That doesn't get your culture respected

Just ask a Palestinian about their culture getting respected. :P 

You know, the ones who had their property ripped from them back in '48.

Now that's cultural respect right? :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Batanat said:

Listen darl, in my world, you don't get to use 'foreign' words and expect them to be accepted as a substitute for normal, accepted usage. I took the trouble to find out where this idea comes from, and discovered it is because Torah observant Jews think it disrespects God. Which I don't have any problem with , at all, that they do that ! However, you say you are not such a person. So it is pretty simple to me, if you want people to believe you aren't a religiously observant Jew, stop wearing the regalia.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Batanat said:

I'm speaking English, and my cultural idiosyncrasy is not a "rule", it's a custom. I have never tried to impose anything.

Of course you are, by using it is this forum !  And I'm glad you did !  ;) It exposed that old dissembler eight bits, with his cherished ambition to "prove" that JC never even existed. Now I see where that comes from !

Edited by Habitat

Using "g-d" is just a form of disrespect.

An underhanded way to mock people.

Which only serves to expose something already apparent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Habitat said:

Listen darl, in my world, you don't get to use 'foreign' words and expect them to be accepted as a substitute for normal, accepted usage.

Sounds like your world is very chauvinist :yes: I don't "expect" anything: it has been accepted without any misunderstanding until you decided to make a stink about it for whatever reason.

Just now, Habitat said:

I took the trouble to find out where this idea comes from, and discovered it is because Torah observant Jews think it disrespects God. Which I don't have any problem with , at all, that they do that ! However, you say you are not such a person.

"Took the trouble" :lol: You looked it up and found one of the reasons it's done, bud. That you think a quick Google search can somehow trump a Jew's understanding of Jewish culture is pretty hilarious, lol. 

Just now, Habitat said:

So it is pretty simple to me, if you want people to believe you aren't a religiously observant Jew, stop wearing the regalia.

No :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Of course you are, by using it is this forum !

If that's an imposition, then you putting a space between "forum" and "!" is also an imposition, and I strongly object to such appalling, improper language! :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Using "g-d" is just a form of disrespect.

An underhanded way to mock people.

Which only serves to expose something already apparent.

Um, what? :huh:

• Thanks 2

@Habitat, stop expecting me to accept your incorrect use of exclamation points! :P Your linguistic idiosyncrasy does not rule in this English-language forum and you're a chauvinist for demanding that the rest of us put up with such grammatical atrocities!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Batanat said:

Um, what? :huh:

Don't try to understand Will. You'll break something in your brain. Write God, G-D, or G_D however you like. Most of the reasonable ones around here don't care.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

• The topic was locked