Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The center of our galaxy exploded 'recently'

UM-Bot

maybe a silly question but....

Do all galaxies have a blackhole at their center?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

I think that's a good question joc.    All spiral galaxies obviously spin around  something Extremely massive at their centers...most likely a black hole?     But there are other types of galaxies, including what is called an irregular Galaxy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

As far as we can observe it does appear that most spiral galaxies formed around supermassive blackholes.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As far as we can observe it does appear that most spiral galaxies formed around supermassive blackholes.

Thank you... Which makes since because galaxies are rotating... as if they were slowly being sucked down the bathtub hole..which gives rise to another question. What eventually happens to a black hole? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Thank you... Which makes since because galaxies are rotating... as if they were slowly being sucked down the bathtub hole..which gives rise to another question. What eventually happens to a black hole? 

It is thought that eventually they will evaporate due to something called Hawking radiation, but how that works is way above my paygrade so here is a link instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It is thought that eventually they will evaporate due to something called Hawking radiation, but how that works is way above my paygrade so here is a link instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

I pretended I was understanding all that until I got to the equations....suffice to say...yeah....beyond my pay grade as well.

I wonder why spiral galaxies form a flattened Disk shape?    I've probably read about it before ,but I don't remember any explanations for that .   

. . . . The discs are bulged in the center.... And elliptical galaxies are roundish ,rather than flat.

Edited by lightly

Yes,a super massive black hole!

4 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

So puny we are...

Speak for your self ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1