Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 men try to lure kids into van with candy

The Caspian Hare

https://pix11.com/2019/10/08/men-try-to-lure-multiple-children-in-brooklyn-by-offering-them-candy-police/

BOROUGH PARK, Brooklyn — Police are looking for a group of men accused of trying to lure children to their vehicle multiple times Saturday night in Brooklyn.

According to authorities, around 8:30 p.m., four men in a blue vehicle first offered candy to two boys, ages 10 and 11, trying to get them over to their vehicle near 47th Street and 18th Avenue in Borough Park.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Sickos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is like some sort of sick trend happening of late - I was only talking to @susieice the other day about all of the kids going missing or getting lured to vehicles around the area where both Susie and @Piney live.  This is getting ridiculous.

And seriously, surely kids aren't that stupid to fall for a candy trick nowadays.  I remember the joke was a couple of years ago, that people would have to offer free wifi to get kids anywhere within their proximity.  :rolleyes:

I really have no idea what's going on, or is it something as simple as they're just reporting on these occurrences more often?  :( 

• Like 5

People are trying to lure children all over the place on a daily basis. Actually, these days they just grab them and take off. In stores, airports or right off the streets. I doubt you're very likely to catch a 10-11 yr old with a Snickers bar anymore. Not all kids are successfully taken and are reporting what happened to them. Sadly, too, too many are just gone. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

This is like some sort of sick trend happening of late - I was only talking to @susieice the other day about all of the kids going missing or getting lured to vehicles around the area where both Susie and @Piney live.  This is getting ridiculous.

There are several child trafficking rings around our area. :hmm:

• Sad 4

In the 80's I was driving to work and I saw a man holding the shoulders of a 11 year old girl facing him.  He actually shook her.  She looked frightened.  I turned my car around and turned in to a parking lot near them.  The man saw me and took off.  I asked the girl if she knew that man and she said no.  I said go directly to school and tell your teacher about him.  Call your parents and tell them as well.  She walked towards school, which was just 2 blocks and another woman pulled into the parking lot to ask me if the girl was ok.  We talked about it for a minute then went to work.  She had been going the other way but noticed the same thing. 

It is so weird that the man did that during rush hour in a small town where anyone can stop fairly quickly. 

• Sad 3

Something I had noticed in recent years is the trend towards multiple predators working together.

We live in a smallish town that is accessible to several other smallish towns and I have seen several reports over the last 3 years of vehicles containing aprox 4 men trying to lure children or grab them off the street. There appears to be a different vehicle used in these reports however the area is so lightly populated I do not believe these are different groups. I think it is the same group swapping vehicles.

To me it indicates a network of paedophiles who are communicating in some way. An online forum of some sort. It is frightening that these people now have access to ways to encourage and help each other in the harm of children.

• Like 5

On 10/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, Desertrat56 said:

In the 80's I was driving to work and I saw a man holding the shoulders of a 11 year old girl facing him.  He actually shook her.  She looked frightened.  I turned my car around and turned in to a parking lot near them.  The man saw me and took off.  I asked the girl if she knew that man and she said no.  I said go directly to school and tell your teacher about him.  Call your parents and tell them as well.  She walked towards school, which was just 2 blocks and another woman pulled into the parking lot to ask me if the girl was ok.  We talked about it for a minute then went to work.  She had been going the other way but noticed the same thing. 

It is so weird that the man did that during rush hour in a small town where anyone can stop fairly quickly. 

Good for you for stopping! I had read an article years ago that said to teach your children to yell... "I don't know this man!" Because people are reluctant to interfere in a parent/child conflict. We tell our women students it's also not a bad thing for us to yell...most people don't want to get involved in a domestic situation, but hearing that they may be willing to dial 911 if nothing else.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skliss said:

Good for you for stopping! I had read an article years ago that said to teach your children to yell... "I don't know this man!" Because people are reluctant to interfere in a parent/child conflict. We tell our women students it's also not a bad thing for us to yell...most people don't want to get involved in a domestic situation, but hearing that they may be willing to dial 911 if nothing else.

That is a good idea.  It reminds me of a time my daughters their sons and I went to the Tram up the mountain and we were in the gift shop but one of the grandsons got ansy, he was about 5 so he headed out and his mother told her older son who was 15 to stay with him.  Of course the 15 year old went out side but then chastised his brother and a stranger came up to the 5 year old and asked "Do you know that man?  Is he bothering you?"   The 15 year old was incensed, but I thought it was funny.  They both said to the stranger, "he is my brother" so the guy went away.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is a good idea.  It reminds me of a time my daughters their sons and I went to the Tram up the mountain and we were in the gift shop but one of the grandsons got ansy, he was about 5 so he headed out and his mother told her older son who was 15 to stay with him.  Of course the 15 year old went out side but then chastised his brother and a stranger came up to the 5 year old and asked "Do you know that man?  Is he bothering you?"   The 15 year old was incensed, but I thought it was funny.  They both said to the stranger, "he is my brother" so the guy went away.

Good on that guy too! When my 2nd son was born my parents brought his 3 yr old brother to the hospital for a visit. When they left, he screamed at the top of his lungs down 5 or 6 floors, thru the hospital and across the parking lot. They kept saying to people..."Oh, he doesn't want to leave mom and his little brother here...yada, yada" but my mom said it did bother her not one person tried to stop them or ask anything including the security guard.

• Like 3

I remember I got caught up and got my brother to pick my 5 year old daughter up after school.Because I had insisted no one but me could pick her up she screamed the 1 km walk back home over my brother's shoulder.No one even asked him what was happening.I think the public needs to check on these things a little more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, openozy said:

I remember I got caught up and got my brother to pick my 5 year old daughter up after school.Because I had insisted no one but me could pick her up she screamed the 1 km walk back home over my brother's shoulder.No one even asked him what was happening.I think the public needs to check on these things a little more.

Yes, that's very true - you see a child crying or upset and you may think they're in trouble or throwing a tantrum.  If you ask, you either get a parent who gives you a filthy look because it seems like you're interfering, or a person who might be trying to drag the child off somewhere.  Either way, it's safer to ask just in case.  I'm always reminded of that James Bulger case back in the 90s - where so much more could've been done to save that little boy's life from being kidnapped by those two 11 year olds.  You just can't trust people, there's always weirdos around and it could be anyone these days. :( 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

You just can't trust people

People are the most dangerous creatures on the planet by far,even to their own species.