Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Last woolly mammoths died on remote island

Still Waters

I once read a folktale about someone hunting one of those then already rare animals. He was in ambush below the surface of a water, and when the animal passed him on its way to an island, he plunged his spear from below into its belly. Was that a four thousand years old tale? I myself suspected it might be one to two thousand years old.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ell said:

I once read a folktale about someone hunting one of those then already rare animals. He was in ambush below the surface of a water, and when the animal passed him on its way to an island, he plunged his spear from below into its belly. Was that a four thousand years old tale? I myself suspected it might be one to two thousand years old.

Citation very much needed. I know of no surviving tales of human encounters with mammoths.

Edited by Carnoferox

Yeah I was talking with friend about that very topic the other day. It's quite mind blowing.

Also the lions/cave lions in south-east Europe that might have survived into historical times.

8 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeah I was talking with friend about that very topic the other day. It's quite mind blowing.

Also the lions/cave lions in south-east Europe that might have survived into historical times.

Lions did survive into historical times in southeastern Europe, but they weren’t cave lions (Panthera spelaea). Instead they were populations of the modern lion (Panthera leo leo).

• Like 1

I really believe this, scientists think they know everything but they really dont. So many of them spout off their

• Confused 1

Just 4000 years ago. Well I never. :huh:

I wonder if many of the bones showed signs of predation? Perhaps the polar bear or another carnivore, other than man, found it's way to the island and finished them off.

This brings closer one of my theories that everything we know about history is erroneous. We tend to far date a lot.
It's possible that the mytical dragons stories are also nothing but encounters with surviving dinosaurs or pterodactyls.

Edited by qxcontinuum

8 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

This brings closer one of my theories that everything we know about history is erroneous. We tend to far date a lot.
It's possible that the mytical dragons stories are also nothing but encounters with surviving dinosaurs or pterodactyls.

This is not even comparable to finding living non-avialan dinosaurs or pterosaurs. They went extinct 66 million years ago, an event which is well-dated radiometrically.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

What if some species survived longer enough to encounter humans. Like the mammoths?

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

What if some species survived longer enough to encounter humans. Like the mammoths?

Then there would be clear evidence of this. Dinosaurs were extremely common in the fossil record for 100+ million years, but then we find none of them after 66 Ma. If they had survived we should expect to find their fossils intermingled with Cenozoic mammals including humans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

This has been known for years but I believe these were miniature mammoths? 

Yeah, a classic case of island dwarfism. I remember the 4000 year old date being mentioned some years ago but the news is probably being regurgitated due to the international research team's extinction scenario reconstruction (which is new).

Edited by Jaded1

3 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

This has been known for years but I believe these were miniature mammoths? 

14 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

Yeah, a classic case of island dwarfism. I remember the 4000 year old date being mentioned some years ago but the news is probably being regurgitated due to the international research team's extinction scenario reconstruction (which is new).

A dwarf mammoth ? ROFL.. isn't that a contradiction in terms ? :D

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 7:04 AM, kel_kel said:

I really believe this, scientists think they know everything but they really dont. So many of them spout off their

Scientists don't think they know everything. They read what the data tells them with a load of tests. They often admit they've got something wrong.

• Like 1

Wrangel Island was originally part of the Alaska purchase, but ceded back to Russia after the Russian Revolution.

On 10/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, Carnoferox said:

Citation very much needed. I know of no surviving tales of human encounters with mammoths.

/Somebody/ never saw 10,000 BC[E].

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 4:37 AM, qxcontinuum said:

This brings closer one of my theories that everything we know about history is erroneous.

I think a more likely scenario is that you don’t understand what history /is/. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

/Somebody/ never saw 10,000 BC[E].

—Jaylemurph 

Oh god not that movie. I could go on for days picking apart the inaccuracies!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, Carnoferox said:

Sorry. It must be in one of the many books in my room, but I fear any effort to find it will be in vain. May be one of these years It will accidentally end up in my hands again - unless I die before that happens ...