Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scottish police baffled by mystery symbols

UM-Bot

"Do any of you know what they are, or are we going to have to put it down to extraterrestrial life finally making contact with us basic earthlings who just don't understand what they are trying to say?"

Really? If they are extraterrestrial, they are terrible artists, or they just sent us their juvenile delinquents who ran out of space in their own planet for any more graffiti.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

Unexplained markings that have appeared on pavements around Thornhill have left officers scratching their heads.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/331127/scottish-police-left-baffled-by-mystery-symbols

In my town about 10 years back the police figured out that burglars where marking out properties and when the owners go on holiday with such symbols.

• Like 6

Cold be Ozzy.  Some of the cryptic symbols on the inner sleeve of Diary of a Madman looked like that.

• Haha 1

It looks like the marks the city waterworks puts on the sidewalk to mark where they are going to dig up the street.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It looks like the marks the city waterworks puts on the sidewalk to mark where they are going to dig up the street.

I was thinking the same thing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

Same here. The fact that there are numbers in the circles means to me that is some form of energy company or similar. I'm sure someone will come forward from said company in the near future to put this to bed.

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

In my town about 10 years back the police figured out that burglars where marking out properties and when the owners go on holiday with such symbols.

This is also a possibility if it's not the above though. I've heard of similar ways of 'spotters' marking the houses of classic/prestige cars to make it easy for the thieves to locate the exact address.

• Like 2

Scottish police left baffled by mystery bad graffiti.

Only in this new weirdo social media world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I remember correctly from back when I was researching symbols in 2012, that circle with the + inside of it might be a sun symbol; If you remove the line coming out of it.

Some eejits in my town have been marking random places with 'APATH' and 'APATHY' plus sign of the deathly Hallows from Harry Potter. I just don't get it.

Okay, you've scratched off water, gas and electric companies, what about companies that provide internet? Sure, it doesn't look like anything virgin media would do, but that about BT, Talk Talk etc?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kaikou said:

Okay, you've scratched off water, gas and electric companies, what about companies that provide internet? Sure, it doesn't look like anything virgin media would do, but that about BT, Talk Talk etc?

Would make sense considering they are responsible for dishing out internet in the UK and other telecom services. They're constantly digging up pavements and such alike all around the uk 

• Like 1

If they aren't any of those companies have transients been considered? I think those are hobo markings. Look on google some of these are listed. Bums use them to mark info of interest to other transients. Here is a chart of some

hobo-signs-symbols-05.jpg

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

Its that symbol from the movie Independence Day Resurgence.

latest?cb=20160629103354

20 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Looks like the street is getting new power light poles. This is usually done with a contractor and I doubt water and power would know anything about it. A quick call to the city planner's office would clear it up. ...

:no: aliens *sigh*

Edited by Calibeliever
light, I meant to say light...
  • Like 2

"Over the last few days these symbols have appeared in the streets of Thornhill, causing a few people to be concerned," 

Concerned about what? Why are the police wasting tax payers money on this?

Have there been abductions? Strange lights at night? People fainting when they walk near the sign?

Likely for a new lampost

_73039818_lamppost.jpg

Even experts like Palmer say some of the markings left on pavements resemble "hieroglyphs". Take a bright orange circle with a cross through it and a single dot in the lower quadrant. Pagan symbol? Buried treasure?

Far from it. In fact such an unusual looking marking (shown above left) is nothing more than the local authority setting out where it wants a new lamp post.

• Like 1

Kkinda looks like someone's setting up a game of Pokémon Go.

Unown%20Alphabet.jpg