Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weirded out

Jguer

Woke up last night to a strong smell of perfume ..started to smell myself,my blankets and pillows i knew it wasn't me cus i had just came home from work and went to sleep...i was so tired i ignored it and went back to bed....a few hours later i get awoken up by the same smell....again exhausted went back to sleep....the nexy day was talking to my sister she had the same experience i did....we dont know anyone that has recently passed any explanation why we would both experience the same thing....same night but live in two different households....any explanations or similar experiences would be helpful

• Like 1

Can you describe the smell? 

23 minutes ago, Jguer said:

we dont know anyone that has recently passed

Why would this have anything to do with something you can smell?

We can pick up on smells all day while out and about. You may be picking up the smell of laundry cleaner, but only get the whiff of it from time to time. 

Your sister easily could also pick up on a smell, it does not mean it is the same smell. 

29 minutes ago, Jguer said:

.the nexy day was talking to my sister she had the same experience i did

Was she tired too after going to work?  You could not know if she had the same smell as you, especially as we smell things all the time, it does not mean you recognise them all the time, but mentioning it could trigger 'a' smell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jguer said:

....any explanations 

Smells are a recognized way for a spirit to leave a calling card. You and your sister need to work your brains and it doesn't have to be a 'recent' passing.

• Like 2

Succubus?  :D

• Like 1

I've experenced smells all my life,

We smell perfume, laundry scenes, cooking, baking, cigarettes, cigars, etc, big old place on a corner with lots of places for smells to linger, i have one plastic tote bin i keep some mics project supplies it, it had a small bottle of cheap air freshner spill in it if i open it anywhere in the house within minutes tina will ask, whats that smell, a person can pick up a scent and only get shifts later.

since you mentioned not knowing of someone recently passing the things freetoroam asked popped in my mind too, shall I assume you want it to be paranormal? if so while i won't agree it is, its a pretty fun way to make claims of happy haunts in ones home,  um the smell of the intoxicating scent of rosewater.

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Smells are a recognized way for a spirit to leave a calling card. You and your sister need to work your brains and it doesn't have to be a 'recent' passing.

sure, virtually any one who ever passed can come back to smell up a joint :D

• Haha 1

smells of herbs in the day, jasmine in the evening

• Like 1

I believe it is not only spirits of people passed but maybe someone living who is astral travelling or projecting  to you,either consciously or unconsciously.If you recognise the scent you may find an answer.

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

sure, virtually any one who ever passed can come back to smell up a joint :D

sure, but your point?

Like right now there's a million things I 'can' do with effort but I only make the effort when I have a reason.

• Like 1

Maybe you and your sister did something in common that day, like met somewhere and brought the same smelly thing home? Or both received something from the same source?

Simply smelling something odd is no reason to think ghosties are doing it.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jguer said:

Woke up last night to a strong smell of perfume ..started to smell myself,my blankets and pillows i knew it wasn't me cus i had just came home from work and went to sleep...i was so tired i ignored it and went back to bed....a few hours later i get awoken up by the same smell....again exhausted went back to sleep....the nexy day was talking to my sister she had the same experience i did....we dont know anyone that has recently passed any explanation why we would both experience the same thing....same night but live in two different households....any explanations or similar experiences would be helpful

Do you have a relative that passed a long time ago that used to wear strong perfume?  Was the perfume you and your sister smelled the same?  Do you live in an apartment?  Maybe a neighbor was overdoing the perfume.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

sure, but your point?

Like right now there's a million things I 'can' do with effort but I only make the effort when I have a reason.

No "point" my hat covers it :P

I guess it made me think with billions of decessed people IF spookies came back to stink up the joint, then i guess i should have anted up for embalming,  but really, we would be up to our ying yangs in smells good and bad, and we arent, cue up, "It doesnt work like that".  Excuse 101.

I also thought the whole "ghost" smell phenomenon very much can be olfactory hallucinations, a scientific proven occurrence unlike unproven spookies.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jguer said:

Are you in an apartment complex?

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

No "point" my hat covers it :P

I guess it made me think with billions of decessed people IF spookies came back to stink up the joint, then i guess i should have anted up for embalming,  but really, we would be up to our ying yangs in smells good and bad, and we arent, cue up, "It doesnt work like that".  Excuse 101.

I also thought the whole "ghost" smell phenomenon very much can be olfactory hallucinations, a scientific proven occurrence unlike unproven spookies.....

Two different people in two different homes is a strong challenge to the 'olfactory hallucination' theory.

My reasoning tells me if it was just one person the OP would not have been motivated to start a thread here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Two different people in two different homes is a strong challenge to the 'olfactory hallucination' theory.

My reasoning tells me if it was just one person the OP would not have been motivated to start a thread here.

It's not about what we assume, guess at or blindly believe, we do not and can not ever know 100% fact that two people in two homes smelled the same scent, ( if the second person being spoke for smelled anything ) it's by definition impossible to prove as its just story then hearsay,

Your "reasoning" blindly believes every story as fact mine doesn't.

The OP likely smelled something we all do from time to time but nothing to make a jump to spookies.

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, the13bats said:

It's not about what we assume, guess at or blindly believe, we do not and can not ever know 100% fact that two people in two homes smelled the same scent, ( if the second person being spoke for smelled anything ) it's by definition impossible to prove as its just story then hearsay,

Your "reasoning" blindly believes every story as fact mine doesn't.

The OP likely smelled something we all do from time to time but nothing to make a jump to spookies.

Hmmm....where did I say they did or did not smell the same thing? I don’t expect 100% knowledge in a case like this.  I am actually a careful thinker.

Papameter  70 paranormal  30% normal

Yes, it has fresh batteries.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Hmmm....where did I say they did or did not smell the same thing? I don’t expect 100% knowledge in a case like this.  I am actually a careful thinker.

Papameter  70 paranormal  30% normal

Yes, it has fresh batteries.

Said it outright no, but to attempt to make a point You skirted it, see below...

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

"IF" you fall back on they didnt smell the same thing at the same time and at a distance from each other all you do is deeply confirm that the smell or smells ( if we even believe the 2nd person smelled anything as its hearsay  )

Is very much likely just smells lifting in the air we live in, with the % you give each side i think you installed the batteries in your meter backwards,

In your reasoning the neighbor doing her laundry i smell is a ghost.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:36 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Do you have a relative that passed a long time ago that used to wear strong perfume?  Was the perfume you and your sister smelled the same?  Do you live in an apartment?  Maybe a neighbor was overdoing the perfume.

We have cousin that passed years ago but i cant say that i remember if she wore perfume or not....no one was doing laundry and my neighbor is a smoker and it was a strong scent of perfume nothing i would wear..

And my sister said it was a strong smell for her too but it actually spooked her she couldnt sleep had to sleep with the light on..

She lives in a different town than i do

54 minutes ago, Jguer said:

And my sister said it was a strong smell for her too but it actually spooked her she couldnt sleep had to sleep with the light on..

She lives in a different town than i do

The fact that it affected your sister THAT strongly makes me think paranormal is quite likely. She had reacted  (kept all the lights on) before you mentioned/suggested anything to her. 

I dont know what to think...im not trying to pick this apart but my sister and i are really freaked out it was as almost someone took a bottle perfume and sprayed towards my nose enough to wake me out of a dead sleep then the smell slowly faded away what freaks us out is it happened to the both of us the same night

Of course when I wake up to phantom scents, it’s bacon. Twice in one night I smelled bacon, I actually got out of bed the second time to make sure no one was cooking.

I’m always thinking of food, even in my sleep. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jguer said:

I dont know what to think...im not trying to pick this apart but my sister and i are really freaked out it was as almost someone took a bottle perfume and sprayed towards my nose enough to wake me out of a dead sleep then the smell slowly faded away what freaks us out is it happened to the both of us the same night

Probably someone just wanting you to remember them.

7 minutes ago, Jguer said:

How if i dont recognize the perfume

I take it your sister doesn’t have any suspicions either.

Well, this may only be a first incident of more signs???

Keep us posted!!

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The fact that it affected your sister THAT strongly makes me think paranormal is quite likely. She had reacted  (kept all the lights on) before you mentioned/suggested anything to her. 

I do have nervious problems and i got startled by the cat, no, no...since it effected me like that must be paranormal.