Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird creature filmed by Thai fishermen

UM-Bot

Looks like a distorted or manipulated image of some kind of Leatherback Sea Turtle.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Looks like a distorted or manipulated image of some kind of Leatherback Sea Turtle.

maxresdefault.jpg

What about tht cute little mammal nose that keeps above the water?  That isn't a turtle nose, maybe a dog or otter.

• Like 1

No idea what the heck that is!?  It looks like it has a head similar to a seal. The "body" - oh, well. Long fin-like arms. 

No idea.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about tht cute little mammal nose that keeps above the water?  That isn't a turtle nose, maybe a dog or otter.

I noticed that too and it looks rather odd. The very first image looks just like a leatherback swimming. In my opinion, the subsequent imagery has been "enhanced".

• Like 2

I can’t make it out too well, and this guess maybe far off, but it kinda looks like a blanket octopus to me. It has similar coloration and elongated arms with webbing.

4 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

Looks like a banana plant, or some kind of cut off palm fruit.

Possibly a Cordyline cutting for transplantation, planted some in Ecuador in a vegetal engineering research project a while ago. Look a lot like it. Probably not the same species than the picture.. but a lot of  horticultural varieties exist.

Image result for cordyline cuttings

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick observation or two.

First up, while I don't see any obvious sign of fakery (and it would be quite hard to do that sort of imagery well - ask any CGI expert - water is *hard*), I am rather intrigued at the resolution of the magnified slow-mo's - it seems *significantly* better than the original zoomed out version.  So I'd like to see the original footage at full res, thanks...

But the big problem is, I see NOT ONE site that has used this, has given any clue about the story that unfolded, or the video's origin!!!  (Please prove me wrong..)  Thai fishermen, hey?  That's it?

And think about it - these fishermen were just slowly idling along in a small boat in perfectly calm weather, saw that, and didn't go back to look a bit more closely or catch it and examine it????  Gimme a break.  I spend a lot of time in boats, and I'd be screaming at the skipper (or pushing him away from the controls!) and turning or backing up to get more footage and identify whether it was alive - even that basic fact is quite unclear in that footage.

Dead end, not worth wasting further time unless the source opens up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Holy bat poo robin, :w00t:

I had no idea the aliens from "The Abyss" were real....:tsu:

Coolest thing I've seen in a long time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

I still think a Sea Hare seems a pretty good candidate? If it is an animal. The 'head' looks rather botanical I think.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQFKDYgie0JUFMoxjrNOF

40689499711_2cee172533_c.jpg

100529kusjk4m3.jpg

But that head and neck looking part is hard to resolve. Leaning towards plant I reckon. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I still think a Sea Hare seems a pretty good candidate? If it is an animal. The 'head' looks rather botanical I think.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQFKDYgie0JUFMoxjrNOF

40689499711_2cee172533_c.jpg

100529kusjk4m3.jpg

But that head and neck looking part is hard to resolve. Leaning towards plant I reckon. 

I think I’ll stick to my original identification. Notice the pattern of white markings on the webbing that matches up with the blanket octopus. The general movement/consistency is similar as well. That being said, this individual doesn’t look alive and might be decayed.

B85C8355-6A1C-432A-9FD3-953E648387C7.png.7977bf277ec3336041c497714c9cf4cc.png

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

I think I’ll stick to my original identification. Notice the pattern of white markings on the webbing that matches up with the blanket octopus. The general movement/consistency is similar as well. That being said, this individual doesn’t look alive and might be decayed.

B85C8355-6A1C-432A-9FD3-953E648387C7.png.7977bf277ec3336041c497714c9cf4cc.png

CADCD75B-2D7B-47A5-8910-CD27338ED519.thumb.jpeg.715cd376ef04804e7a60e7eea1ac8ef3.jpeg

I couldn’t upload two images in the same post for some reason, so here’s another blanket octopus for comparison.

• Like 4

Can someone post a still the frame where the head looks like a seal type.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Can someone post a still the frame where the head looks like a seal type.

It doesn’t strike me as looking particularly “seal-like”. There are no visible eyes or mouth. It looks more like the mantle of an octopus.

3F783BAF-7B37-4388-8E56-4B9D0A80347E.thumb.png.d9921f5ddc9185bf59a4a92b2c94800e.png

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

It doesn’t strike me as looking particularly “seal-like”. There are no visible eyes or mouth. It looks more like the mantle of an octopus.

3F783BAF-7B37-4388-8E56-4B9D0A80347E.thumb.png.d9921f5ddc9185bf59a4a92b2c94800e.png

Ty, i likely made it confusing calling it "seal" like i said i considered that Pareidolia, but it was a way to subscribe which "still" i wanted posted and you did know which one i meant,

We have a lot of mostly unanswered questions about this case, i never thought it was seal or turtle, and a big old leaf did get me wondering, but watching it as a whole clip and with the still you just posted the "head"  doesnt look "as much" like a plant stalk as it does a mantle, not that i think it matches your first comparison pic past superficially, if an octopus, it never seems to move on its own, just floating in the waters current,

As pointed out the close up rez is better than the video, something's up there, the close ups have a shopped tampered with look to me,

So for now octopus fits best for me, but with the shadeiness of the video im not ruling out it was known and used as a hoax, that wouldnt rule out weird octopus.

• Like 1

I'm going to vote it's some kind of branch with leaves at the back. The head is just pareidolia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I'm going to vote it's some kind of branch with leaves at the back. The head is just pareidolia.

I would lean to leaf but cant find a match

• Like 1

Just looks like a piece of kelp to me being dragged along on fishing line.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torviking said:

Just looks like a piece of kelp to me being dragged along on fishing line.

Maybe its Plankton from Spongebob :P

Look like some sort of bird, like a duck

I don't know, everything about it says plant to me. It's rigid, has positive buoyancy and the only movement is consistent with disturbance by the wake of the boat. The cute lil' nose resembles the reverse of a bud scar, that is, the node where the bud attaches.

Another possibility is a badly made decoy.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

I don't know, everything about it says plant to me. It's rigid, has positive buoyancy and the only movement is consistent with disturbance by the wake of the boat. The cute lil' nose resembles the reverse of a bud scar, that is, the node where the bud attaches.

Another possibility is a badly made decoy.

I'm not against plant but couldn't find a good match and while it looks like a plant thats me going on my memory, that's failable,

The guy who thought it was a type of octopus did the work posted pics, let's see plant leaves that really match this thing.

• Thanks 1

Upon further comparison with specimens from Japan and South Africa, I'm 99.9% certain that the animal in the video is indeed a blanket octopus. I have yet to see any convincing arguments for alternate identifications.

1192930680_Webp.net-resizeimage(1).png.4f55405b8e78850e2f07b9475031c3e7.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIPZfMjr9A

https://www.tonmo.com/threads/unknown-phylum-any-suggestions.7469/

• Like 3