Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum leaderboards

Saru

You mean the feature that seems designed to encourage people to post unnecessarily in the hope of winning some specious trophy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Im worried about people posting 100's of garbage and nonsense things, just to get the profile plaque.

Overall good idea Saru

25 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

You mean the feature that seems designed to encourage people to post unnecessarily in the hope of winning some specious trophy?

It won't have a bearing on how i post, it's a cool idea and I'm sure if a person starts pimping themselves too much it will just look cheesy on them, i try to post new threads when i feel them worthy.

The oddest forum ive ever been on was a certain make model car forum, they basically didnt moderate members, no spamming etc but off topic ran wild, a newbie would ask a tech question, and in short time one of the troll regulars would get ad hominem for no reason, and the tech is lost, to make matters worse you would vote pro or con on other members, if you got enough cons you got an automatic permanent boot and it wasn't hard to do, so the forum was basically ran by 3 or 4 nasty mean trolls, it was weird.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Again, it's primarily based on reputation gain - if someone posts rubbish then it's not going to elicit 'likes' from other members.

It's about quality over quantity, the idea is to encourage positive and constructive contributions.

Also, for the record, you hold the position for the member with the most status updates by a looong margin... :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

make matters worse you would vote pro or con on other members, if you got enough cons you got an automatic permanent boot

A member-based moderation system would definitely be open to abuse, there's no way we're ever going to implement anything like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Saru said:

It's about quality over quantity, the idea is to encourage positive and constructive contributions.

This is a bad idea!

I posted a status update about 4 hours ago, and there I mention that quality is more important than quantity.

This won't inspire people to post more quality - it will inspire the opposite to happen even more.

Edited by Saru
Removed quoted status update
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Saru said:

A member-based moderation system would definitely be open to abuse, there's no way we're ever going to implement anything like that.

Never thought you would im just babbling how bad it was on the car forum, what you are doing is pretty cool, it really wont effect me i don't think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

This is a bad idea!

I posted a status update about 4 hours ago, and there I mention that quality is more important than quantity.

This won't inspire people to post more quality - it will inspire the opposite to happen even more.

It is us the member to either like or not like a post. Post that do not get likes might be according to someone perspective "low quality" or simply not helpful, interesting, doesn't add to the conversation.

I don't see anything changing around here. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Saru said:

I think we (the forum) had a discussion about that last year. 

19 hours ago, Saru said:

The prize is a plaque on your profile. :yes:

This being a Virtual world, it's a virtual competition, and the appropriate price is a virtual plaque, not to be confused with being a virtual plague. 

Edited by Pettytalk
Being, to be more to the point.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need a "do not like" button along with the usual 5 options. It would serve as a minus 1 to the tally. We also need a choice of more than just one. For instance, one can vote for being funny, and also useful. That being the case the poster would get a point for being witty, and one for being useful. Perhaps a weighted system could be formulated and applied. Given weight to both quality and quantity. Say, if a post does not get more than 5 positive votes it should not get any credit. And definitely, repetitiveness should not get any points. 

Edited by Pettytalk
And editing a post, as I have, also gets a minus 1/2 point. This would make us reflect longer before posting.
  • Haha 2

Participating in the UM chess tournament should warrant a couple extra points for the extra activity. And placement in the final gets additional points, more as one places higher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

We need a "do not like" button along with the usual 5 options. It would serve as a minus 1 to the tally. We also need a choice of more than just one. For instance, one can vote for being funny, and also useful. That being the case the poster would get a point for being witty, and one for being useful. Perhaps a weighted system could be formulated and applied. Given weight to both quality and quantity. Say, if a post does not get more than 5 positive votes it should not get any credit. And definitely, repetitiveness should not get any points. 

You are joking, right? :rofl:

We don't need more bottoms oops buttons to press. :D

If you want quality then let people's thoughts be the guide!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

You are joking, right? :rofl:

We don't need more bottoms oops buttons to press. :D

If you want quality then let people's thoughts be the guide!

Maybe just one more...the Extra Like button....for use in such things like your sig animation...Extra Like on that! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A dislike option would destroy this forum. I've seen it happen. Now the site that implemented it is gone. Such an option would encourage puppet account and "teaming" against members. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are no plans to implement a 'dislike' button, it would only breed negativity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

There is no need for a dislike button. If you do not like it - then you do not press the likey button.

If you are offended then report it.

If you have a different opinion about the topic, then discuss it.

Simples.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

One can always spit at the screen, or kiss, or lick the posts as to one's preferences... 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

One can always spit at the screen, or kiss, or lick the posts as to one's preferences... 

~

I've done that for years. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've done that for years. 

Not just me then

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I don't like it. It's like employee of the month or something. 

Personally, I prefer cooperation to competition.

Not that I won't be able to live with that score board, but it does create impression that we're working for free here, instead of meeting each other. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 10/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, freetoroam said:

item_XL_11683851_16863957.jpg

Holy cow, you Britons are such royal that even the twin tub buckets have the color of aristocracy. :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

another annoyance is that I keep clicking on it at the top of the main page by mistake for "Stuff I Posted In", or whatever it's called, which is a rather more useful function. 

Dam I had no idea Piney posted so much lol:lol:

Also, ditto on not wanting a dislike button. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

another annoyance is that I keep clicking on it at the top of the main page by mistake for "Stuff I Posted In", or whatever it's called, which is a rather more useful function. 

I've done that a cpouple of times too. :P

• Like 1

• The topic was locked