Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

More likely an act of man than paranormal activity, the book "Haunted Asheville" keeps vanishing.

In fact, librarians say no book is stolen from Buncombe County Public Libraries more than Joshua P. Warren’s account of area apparitions, lore and the occult. To deter thieves, librarians have taken to storing copies securely behind their desks.

“Any librarian in the county will tell you that they've lost copies of it,” librarian Vance Pollock said. “Invariably, every branch in the county has had a copy go missing, and some many copies.”

County library records show 27 of 37 copies of "Haunted Asheville" as either missing or definitively lost. This does not include older copies long erased from the system. 

https://eu.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2019/10/07/haunted-asheville-most-stolen-library-book-buncombe-county/3851938002/

• Haha 2

Maybe it was stolen from someone who just really enjoys the book. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's being stolen by overzealous Christians who think it's "Satanic".
Back in the 80's, D&D books all went missing from libraries in Milwaukee, WI (where I grew up) and it got so bad, they just stopped replacing them. Now, sure players of the game could have been just never returning them, but there was also the asinine 'Satanic Panic' at the same time. I remember buying D&D books at bookshops and there would be these laughable Christian pamphlets stuck in them, explaining the horrors of Dungeons and Dragons.
Also, Christianity as a long history of banning, censoring, and burning books. They even burned a bunch of Harry Potter novels in some church parking lot not too long ago (ie: in the 2000's or 2010's).

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

@Seti42 you're letting your hate show ;). Unfortunately, there are 'Christians' that set a terrible example on what it actually means to be a Christian. But, like any normal people there are those that read Harry Potter and play D&D. But, damn, the nutcases do leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

To me, it just seems like one person that wants the book off the shelves for whatever reason. People do crazy things all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenabru said:

@Seti42 you're letting your hate show ;). Unfortunately, there are 'Christians' that set a terrible example on what it actually means to be a Christian. But, like any normal people there are those that read Harry Potter and play D&D. But, damn, the nutcases do leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth.

To me, it just seems like one person that wants the book off the shelves for whatever reason. People do crazy things all the time.

I seen some even try and boycott CS Lewis once. He was a good writer and his books are easy to read.

I can't dismiss a paranormal explanation. 

Papameter: 15%  Paranormal    85% Normal

• Haha 1

Ooh brother, a ghost steals a book about haunted house,

I see a lax library and a bit who wants to cause mischief not a ghost,

I bet i could nap a book form eustis library and no one would know or care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It never occurred to steal a book they let me check out for free. Now I wonder if there's some kind of organization out there stealing books offline similar to piracy online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jowasmus said:

It never occurred to steal a book they let me check out for free. Now I wonder if there's some kind of organization out there stealing books offline similar to piracy online.

Please do not misconstrued my other post i would never steal a library book, if you ask nicely they will sell them to you.

• Like 1

"Any librarian will till tell you they've lost copies of it"  bit suspicious they've "lost" copies of it ..... just check all the librarian same pockets on the way out.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:07 AM, the13bats said:

Please do not misconstrued my other post i would never steal a library book, if you ask nicely they will sell them to you.

I never thought you would. I just see so many comments that makes me think. Now I can imagine a dark website where people go to buy stolen library books. LOL

I've bought several from the local library when they have the books set out & marked for sale, but I moved about 20+ years ago & just never went to the new local library. Might need to think about it. :w00t:

13 hours ago, jowasmus said:

I never thought you would. I just see so many comments that makes me think. Now I can imagine a dark website where people go to buy stolen library books. LOL

I've bought several from the local library when they have the books set out & marked for sale, but I moved about 20+ years ago & just never went to the new local library. Might need to think about it. :w00t:

Back in the 80s i would find a cool edition of a book i wanted to own i would straight up tell the librarian, and every time they would look it up tell me the replacement cost like if i lost it which was always a bargain and I would buy it,

• Like 1